Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

Djay Pro/Spotify Cache

If I am playing from Spotify and the internet cuts out, you are still able to play music that has already been loaded and cached, correct?

Now, is the app able to play from songs that have been stored in Spotify's cache? Or is the 'download' for songs that I want to play on Djay Pro completely seperate from the 'downloads' for Spotify?
5 people have
this question
+1
  • Adrian (Official Rep) April 02, 2015 15:36
    Please note that due to “sandboxing”, a security feature, apps have absolutely no access to each other’s workspace. This means that djay has no access to the songs you download in the Spotify app. These songs are only available for the Spotify app itself. djay currently has no way to support offline playlists but we are aware of this request and we’ll be sure to keep an eye out.

However, you can play a loaded track that is currently playing, even if your internet connection quits...
    • view 6 more comments
    • Spotify in VDJ? Link and info please?
    • Did you consider checking the user manual of VDJ? It has been added to most current early release version. Search the forums over there for more info unless you have VDJ in which case check for yourself.............
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• When playing playlists from spotify that you've made available offline, does Djay still stream these songs, or does it play from the local cache file while obtaining permission thru internet access back to spotify? I am curious if I run in to low bandwidth places that my offline playlists can still be accessed without streaming issues.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• djay can only stream your Spotify library. Offline files can NOT be accessed by djay, as mentioned above.
    • view 3 more comments
    • Many thanks, I'm clear now :)
    • I read that a some tracks pulled into to the app cached and remained. Id be interested to know how many and if it was stable. Obviously the implications for caching 50 or 100 tracks a time are huge as would allow 'offline' performance.

I have another question. If playing on an IOS (Pad) - is an air connection good or does it have to be wifi?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• One more question, this time around higher bit rate. I can see I have the ability to select MP3 320 on my Mac Pro. Is this also available if I decide to use an iPad (i.e. IOS). I think I read somewhere it is only possible on Mac. Thanks.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I just read that actually the new version, reviewed today allows 320, is that right?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• If I would load every track from a certain playlist at home, where I have a stable and fast internet connection, into DJAY Pro once, would it help to load them much faster and without interruption later at a party, where the connection quality is low?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• I’m not confident
    Since this is a real hot button issue it would be nice if Algoriddim could give us an update on were they are at as far as current and past negotiations with Spotify. Simply just being aware of the problem does not necessarily indicate that anything is actually being worked. Likewise are there negotiations underway with another service like apple music or someone that will let us break the sandbox barrier. This is a real venue killer.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Even if they negotiated it the venue killer would probably be the fact that end users are not permitted to use at any venues.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I am certainly not aware of that rule. The house is responsible for paying royalties. If you are the house you can register with BMI and ASCAP if that is the case. Djay produces a log of every song played that you can give to them. In the US I think anything over 60 seconds is subject to royalties. Most professionals I know take this seriously as we know what is is like when someone does not pay us for our work. I think artists would see more money the more their works are able to be used professionaly. Spotify gives me access to more artists and songs. A bit of Irony I have heard rumors that Spotify does not pay proper royalties. I have no idea if that is true. This seems like a silly show stopper. I would still like to hear what Algoriddim has to say.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• There are certainly ways it could be done via royalties and such but your best bet at this point may be to read the T&C's in spotify's end user agreement. It is not like this is NOT possible at all......... Just not with Spotify. This is precisely why Serato dj, rekordbox & pcdj went with pulselocker but then again they are geared toward professional djing while djay pro is for the most part for fun and hobbyists. Not trying to be offensive just stating algoriddim is probably fully aware who their target audience is and when the juice is worth the squeeze. By all means would love for a rep to jump in here and confirm but a.) we will hear nothing we don't know already and b.) even IF there was some development here they would NOT be authorized to say here until it was publicly announced due to NDA's and such. I myself prefer Spotify over pulselocker fot everyday uses but PL is absolutely getting the job done when playing live fwiw.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

I very much appreciate your insights. There is no reason to believe that you are not 100% correct. I too prefer Spotify. However I would dump them in a heart beat if DJay/Algoriddim were to partner with someone else that gave us what we needed. I wonder what it might take to get them to integrate PL with DJay. Maybe that is easier than trying to twist Spotify's arm. I have a lot invested with DJay in both cues and such and just general flight time. It would be hard for me to give it up. I actually give Algoriddim high marks. This one issue is like a rock in my otherwise fantastic pair of Adidas shoes.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Thanks Deejay Dave - After going and reading the Spotify license and terms of use. I think it would make more sense for Algoriddim to look for another streaming entity to partner with that would allow more flexible use with the DJ. So even they allowed sand box use there would be significant limitations to when you could legally use their services given the restrictive nature of the agreement.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Yeah. In their defense (Algoriddim) they were the first to "really" make streaming relevant in the dj realms. VDJ does not count here as they failed to stop and think about whether what they were doing was legal and got in a TON of hot water over it. This is just how VDJ is though whether it be hacking the NV screens, supporting every device under the sun or just automating every aspect of DJing there is. Whatever not gonna waste time breaking them down as they are what they are and plenty of people swear by them. Not here to change minds only shine light on the "bigger picture". In this case it brings us directly to Pulselockers door and I hope they (Algoriddim) either offer PL integration as well or continue to hammer away at Spotify to update their terms etc.

Let's just hope for the best as Spotify IMO is unbeatable IMO. It ties your everyday life into your professional life and in terms of time saving/playlist curating this is a LIFESAVER!!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I don't think we will see a solution to this any time soon tbh. I moved over from Traktor when I bought my MacBook largely because of the ease of use with my Reloop Beatpad but also because of the Spotify integration.

As a wedding/function DJ, I only use Spotify as a backup solution with my main library stored on my MacBook. I do have quite a large Spotify library stored on my phone in case of an issue with my MacBook and iPad.

Best solution is to invest in some mobile wi-fi, or failing that speak to someone at the venue and try to get their wi-fi password
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Or better yet, a backup laptop with all your music on it.

Internet music, such as Spotify, should not be relied upon in a professional dj environment, when your reputation is on the line.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Agreed. Local is always best. Sometimes I may get an odd request from the venue or the customer. IF I do not have it I have to go out. I have an input on my mixer that I can go directly from my cell phone but it is not something I like to to do. Who knows if you are going to get a text or something n the middle. It is super rare that I would do this but it has happened in a pinch. You are safer to capture it play to and delete it. Think of it as still streaming but just with 5 min latency. :)
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Virtual dj has also trouble with Spotify.
    See:

"2017-09-08 Update:

Spotify is currently no longer available in VDJ 8 as they have recently changed their terms in regards to using Spotify inside Professional DJ applications. We are in discussions with Spotify in order to restore and improve the service but currently no ETA can be provided.

Content Unlimited, Deezer, Groove Music and Pulselocker are still available as content providers.
    -----------

VirtualDJ Pro now includes a direct access to Spotify.

However, the current licensing terms of Spotify do not allow the streaming or caching of 2 tracks simultaneously.
    VirtualDJ's implementation respects this license limitation, but as a result, please be aware that the Spotify experience might not be ideal for DJ use.

We are working closely with Spotify to try to find a solution for DJs that would allow for better implementation while respecting the license terms. In the meantime, we still provide access to Spotify from within VirtualDJ, but enforcing the limitations imposed by the current licensing."

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/21723...
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

VDJ never really had Spotify support. They more or less hacked the Spotify integration. I heard this from day one didn't fully believe it but this is apparently true. Another direct sign this was always true was their "the current licensing terms of Spotify do not allow the streaming or caching of 2 tracks simultaneously. " comment which we all (here at Djay) know this to be 100% BS. If you also noticed the loading times for Spotify within VDJ8 was only 1.5x while deezer & PL loaded almost instantly. Another issue Djay does not suffer from. As always shame on VDJ. They learned NOTHING from their grooveshark days............... Always concerned with what they CAN do they never stop to think what they SHOULD do. This is the main reason you will not see offline Spotify support here at Djay. I say kudos to Algoriddim for not giving into individuals who could not care less about the end user agreements they made the days they signed up with Spotify etc. They care so little about Algoriddim they are demanding they breach their agreements with one of their partners and risk losing their main selling point...................
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Is Amazon Unlimited an option for Algoriddim? They seem more into licensing multiple machines at one time to use their service under a single account, would seem that they may also be more inclined to allow said machines (and virtual environments like djay) to pay to keep files offline.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm