Are some Pro DJ's REALLY using Spotify at gigs?

the same could be said for music legally bought from Itunes, Amazon, Google Play and *gasp* even Beatport.

smh its a mess , so DJs can only legally use music ripped from bought cds, places like Pulse locker or record pools?

This has been a issue a block I have to get over

I wanted to use Spotify to DJ (mobile DJ) but then I heard and even emailed Spotify and they said it can only be used for non-commercial ( this was after they gave their blurb commercial about the integration.

Here is the reply:

Thanks for getting in touch. It’s good to know you’re thinking of using Spotify for you DJing needs. We’ll look into this for you.

Djay supports a wide range of professional DJ gear, allowing users to mix tracks from the cloud using tactile knobs, buttons and jog wheels. Algoriddim’s djay 2 app is powered by exclusive hardware from Pioneer, Numark, Vestax, Reloop, Philips, Casio, and Griffin. For the first time, Spotify Premium users are able to instantly mix millions of tracks on professional DJ hardware.

For more information about this, you can visit this link.

Please note however that as Spotify is for personal/non-commercial use, we’re afraid it’s not possible to play Spotify in public places (such as bars, restaurants, clubs, stores, schools, etc.).

For a closer look at our terms and conditions, please go here.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

All the best,

*(name of customer support rep)*

“Music in the soul can be heard by the universe” - Lao Tzu

Spotify Customer Support

I may have to get back and reply whether that applies to wedding, or birthday parties, anniversaries, AND if I can get paid for it

But the fact remains, from what I read online they are just trying to protect themselves, though many DJs pretty much use bought music from those places Itunes, Amazon, Google Play and Beatport to DJ ( they may use this plus record pools, cds, etc.).

so its really kind of messed up to leaves DJs in such a conundrum, I think most DJs don’t care but for some that are more conscientious or just want to protect themselves from Djing illegally and getting in trouble its annoying.

However as Ive read online the likelihood of getting in trouble for it at least in the USA is slim…*shrugs*
so yeah

I think its pretty unfair for those who legally bought the mp3s , or wav, etc online.
Spotify is streaming service so , though to use to DJ one has to pay subscription it doesn’t seem music artists don’t get much from streaming on Spotfiy compared to say buying the mp3…

But with that all being said Itunes, Amazon, Google Play, Beatport and spotify seem to have a similar clause in their user agreement about using it non-commercially so yeah

Totally agree.

What cell phone line u have to play your music on Spotify for Dj?? I had sprint and it sucks…

How do you “cache” your music?

there are services that offer Tracks for COMMERCIAL USE (FOR PROFIT) in fact I use one so I buy nothing from the “personal use” licensed services.

So I am a 15 year Wedding/Corporate Event/Private Party DJ. I do between 20-30 Weddings a year, and 15-20 “other” type events on top of that. I us Serato DJ Pro for my live mixing (Spotlight Event Songs/Open Dancing/Requests/Live Mixing). However, I always prepare my custom Cocktail and Dinner hour playlists ahead of time and “Cache” them (save to my MacBook), so there is no internet/streaming required. This is important in what Wedding DJs do, because I can be free to be doing behind the scenes prep and coordinating with other vendors/guests/ and the couple…instead of babysitting my music. I have a HUGE personal library of music I have/and regularly continue to purchase. However, there ARE certain requests I get that I might not have yet that I can find on Spotify, and AGAIN, save to my hard drive so the song doesn’t crash in the middle of playing it live. The look I get when someone asks if I have a song, I initially say “No, sorry”, and then play 3 songs later because I was able to find/save/play it has brought many smiles and excited dance floors my way. That being said…I would NEVER use streaming Spotify for my dance floor. The lack of internet reliability and latency issues is not worth ruining my reputation or my causing my clients dissatisfaction. If Djay 2 Pro ever DID allow playing of my Saved Spotify “offline” playlists…I would have no problem using it to DJ my dancefloor though. #crossingfingers! - TJ the DJ

Well Mr. DJ, I actually currently bang tunes on6a Pioneer DDJ-SX3.

Once anyone pays you for a service, you are now a PRO, in my book.
No matter what service you are providing. Stop trying to belittle someone
and simply speak to the subject matter, pros and cons, not your definition
of who they are in your estimation.

Musconv for spotify playlist is also used by many pro DJ’s too