Tidal updated Terms of Service & Price Increase

It’s from an email that Tidal sent in reply to a DJ on another forum who had a few questions earlier today.

Alright thanks.

This link may not yet be updated, but VDJ is the only one that mentions offline locker.

UPDATE (6 March): We reached out to Tidal, and a Tidal spokesperson told us this: “I can confirm we’re bringing back stems as part of the new DJ extension along with some additional features built for the DJ community.”

Confirmed: VDJ stems are still working with Deezer for the normal price.

I don’t trust Tidal one bit.

Received an email from Tidal.

As part of our changes to streaming, DJ integrations will only be available to Individual plan subscribers as an add-on for an additional $13/month after April 10, 2024. You will receive extended access to DJ integrations on TIDAL until May 13, 2024.
Switch your plan to a TIDAL Individual plan with the DJ Extension after April 10, 2024 to continue using DJ integrations without interruption.

What does this mean for djay pro users. Are we forced to change our subscription from family to individual. Or do we need to do this to unlock AI Stems? If we stay the same can we still use djay pro as it works today.

Hi @Steve_Houston, I’ve merged your topic with this existing one. Please remember to use the Search tool before creating new topics. Thanks!

Since stems are also blocked for Apple, can you tell us if it’s really something Apple told you to do because of label restrictions?

I mean, it’s a new implementation, there surely must have been clear (internal) discussions with Apple on the topic or it would not have been disabled…

I’ve been using Tidal for years, but my loyalty ends right now. There are too many things that bother me. Constantly, songs are going to be deactivated, which then have to be searched for again, sorted and given cue points. I find it very difficult to find new music on Tidal. To this day, Tidal hasn’t managed to create decent playlists based on my preferences. Additionally, curated playlists are a joke. As a user living in Germany, Tidal is constantly trying to suggest german hiphop to me, which i just hate. And now 9 euro for the connection to DJ software? I currently feel very comfortable with Soundcloud - stem separation works, and all songs are permanently available. And I know who I will support with my fees.

All comes down to revenue I think. If Tidal do bring back stems for a higher fee, then that tells you all you need to know. For an extra £9 a month there is no way labels would turn around and say “wow so cool, we’re now down for your users to able use stems from our catalog” I don’t subscribe to Tidal but if stems do come back there, I may look at it. Plus will then Apple do the same? Who knows… lots of unknowns right now.

1 Like

Yeah. Like I posted elsewhere, if this tier also solves DJ legal / copyright issues (as they’ve obviously been talking to the labels about this special tier for us DJs) then it would be a step forward indeed. I dunno though.

The fact that Deezer apparently isn’t ‘being forced by rights holders’ makes the story highly suspicious.

Deezer isn’t widely available in DJ software/hardware though.

VDJ (with Deezer support) was the most popular DJ software by far a couple of years ago (maybe it still is?). There are only a handful of streaming services. If I would run a label, why not copy and paste the email you’ve sent to Tidal to your other partners?

Makes no sense IMO.

Maybe Deezer has different conditions in their contracts. Whatever. As long as they can deliver stems…

The world is a big place. Laws differ from country to country. Labels may not distribute globally. Streaming services are only available in certain territories, and their catalogue differs from country to country too.

We don’t know what caused the Tidal changes, or whether other services will follow suit. They may well do.

Deezer in VDJ is clearly labeled as for personal use only.

I’m pretty sure that works out fine for the majority of DJAYs users.

So, Tidal announced yesterday a new pricing tier for DJs coming April 10(?), and a few users have gotten responses from Tidal that there will indeed be stem support but it says “for select partners”. Can we get any confirmation from Algoriddim that Djay Pro will in fact be one of those partners?

My fear is that Tidal made some exclusive stems deal with Serato due to Algoriddim partnering with Apple Music.

Anyways, hopefully this is not the case.

I think it’s most likely that any partner which was able to separate stems previously will allow it again.

@DJ_Venn I’ve merged your topic with the existing Tidal discussion.

If we do not buy the DJ extention. Will DJay pro work as is does today. Without stems.

The only advantage to us a TV station is, if I could play downloaded offline files from Tidal.

It’s called a DJ Extension (not extention) because it’s required in order to DJ. The lower consumer tariff can’t be used for that purpose.

Atomix put the requirement in place around the same time that stems were removed, and it was not possible to use Tidal with VirtualDJ on the lower tier subscription. When it became clear that other software vendors were behind with their change, Atomix withdrew it again - but that’s how it works.

There’s no “cheat code”.

Thanks.
And for the spelling lesson too.

1 Like