BPM/key data for Tidal/Soundcloud

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
I'm aware that once a song is played and/or analyzed, it will show BPM/key data in djay, but one thing I love about the Spotify integration is that that info appears in search even before playing a song (so you can quickly determine a good fit without having to analyze it). I noticed this info isn't in Tidal (haven't tried Soundcloud yet). My hope is that it's because the Tidal integration is new, but my fear is that Spotify exposed that data in the API so that djay could use it whereas Tidal either doesn't have that data on their tracks or doesn't pass it through so that search for streaming services essentially will not have that ability once Spotify goes away. Can anyone confirm if that data will be available within Tidal/Soundcloud search like it is in Spotify search?
Photo of Trenchtown Rock

Trenchtown Rock

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Timothy Refile

Timothy Refile

• 108 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I think everyone should bombard the Tidal feedback page to list BPM’s for tracks, from every angle, to their FB page, emails and beyond....
Photo of Sebastian Beca

Sebastian Beca

• 5 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I'm also noticing that BPM/Key info coming from Tidal is lacking compared to Spotify. It would be nice to be able to continue using this feature as we migrate to Tidal streaming.
Photo of Stephen Martin

Stephen Martin

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Same track...

Look familiar??

Photo of Trenchtown Rock

Trenchtown Rock

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the side-by-side comparison. It should look similar, though, right? Whether from Tidal, Spotify or pulling from a locally stored song? As long as it's the same version, the visual audio waves should match. OR (I think I see it now), you're pointing out how they are the same track but the beat grid is placed differently for each one?
Photo of Stephen Martin

Stephen Martin

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
It's the same track, one sourced from Tidal the other from Spotify. The waveforms may differ ever so slightly, this is due to the better streaming quality of Tidal. However the beat grid should be identical, unfortunately this isn't an isolated case. Tidal regularly fails to analyse tracks and format them correctly.

As for the superior sound quality, I have a set of Yamaha HS7's I didn't notice a drastic difference, if any st all between the two streaming services.