Chinese characters for artist names in djay when pulling from Spotify

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
When Spotify is integrating into the DJAY program, the artists are coming up as chinese characters. Song titles are fine, but the artist are not in English. How do you fix that?
Photo of Jamie Carter

Jamie Carter

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Lukas E

Lukas E, Official Rep

• 4052 Posts
  • 390 Reply Likes
Hi Jamie Carter,

thank you for your post and we are sorry to hear about your issue.
Can you see a pattern or give us some further informations?
We are aware of the issue but till today could not reproduce the issue.

Cheers,
Lukas E.
Photo of Jamie Carter

Jamie Carter

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I saw there was another post for this same issue about two weeks ago. I never changed the language preference. It's only happening for the artists name. And it's random, it character for some and English for others. I double checked that my settings were set to English . It's not happening on Spotify, there is some sort of bug from djay pro when it's importing from Spotify.
Photo of Cindi Segura

Cindi Segura

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
I am having the same problem with the Chinese characters. And its totally annoying! I am also having issues with the MATCH option! And it's something that really helps when working with new genres! Help!!!
Photo of Richard G. Timbol

Richard G. Timbol

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am having the same problem and unfortunately enough it was in the middle of a gig which made it slightly hard but managed it for the following 3hrs.
Photo of Lukas E

Lukas E, Official Rep

• 4052 Posts
  • 390 Reply Likes
Hi there,

we are very sorry to hear that. But we are very interested in any informations you can think of. This issue is very hard to reproduce.

Is the problem persisting Richard? How long were the artist names being displayed correctly? Can you think of the moment the artist names changed?

Cheers,
Lukas E.
Photo of Jesse

Jesse

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I just recently started having this problem as well. Extremely annoying. any solutions yet?
Photo of Lukas E

Lukas E, Official Rep

• 4052 Posts
  • 390 Reply Likes
Hi Jesse,

this is a hard one, which we are investigating for quiet some time.

Cheers,Lukas E.
Photo of Daniel Hublein

Daniel Hublein

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Having the same problem. Half my library is in Chinese. Very hard to navigate. How do you fix this!?!
Photo of mattmattlewis

mattmattlewis

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I posted this issue originally back in august

What version of OSx and what model of mac are you guys using? Algoriddim say they can't replicate the issue so maybe we have something in common?

Im using a MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)
1.3 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

Im a bit sick of this now
Photo of Jesse

Jesse

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm using:
Macbook Pro Retina (Mid 2012)
2.3 GHz Intel Core I7
16 GB DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

I'm pretty sick of it too. Hard to DJ in a foreign language
Photo of Lukas E

Lukas E, Official Rep

• 4052 Posts
  • 390 Reply Likes
Hi guys,

we can understand that you guys are sick of it, but finding the root of this problem is very hard.
Jamie Carter said that updating the macOS worked for him, would that be a possibility you could try?

Cheers,
Lukas E.
Photo of Jamie Carter

Jamie Carter

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Downloaded Sierra OS for my Mac last night and made sure my preferences were set to English. Opened DJAY PRO this morning and everything is back to normal.
Photo of Lukas E

Lukas E, Official Rep

• 4052 Posts
  • 390 Reply Likes
Thank you for the follow up Jamie Carter.
Still investigating the issue.

Cheers,
Lukas E.
Photo of Jesse

Jesse

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This did not work for me. Still having the issue. Customer support told me to uninstall and reinstall and that also did not work
Photo of Manny Ersone Magneto

Manny Ersone Magneto

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
i'm having the same issue. any updates as to how to fix? thanks

Richard G. Timbol

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Any word yet on why this is happening?
Photo of Jesse

Jesse

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
They still can't figure it out. They emailed me telling me they fixed it but it's not fixed on my side
Photo of Lukas E

Lukas E, Official Rep

• 4052 Posts
  • 390 Reply Likes
Hey Jesse,

that sounds a like a misunderstanding. We could not find the root of the problem yet. We are very sorry that this takes so long and require your help and monitoring of the problem.

If you have any questions or suggestions, or if you would like further information, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Cheers,
Lukas E.

Richard G. Timbol

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
ok. this is a big problem.
Photo of Lukas E

Lukas E, Official Rep

• 4052 Posts
  • 390 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hey guys,

we finally found a workaround to this problem. It appears that if the device language lists contains "Japanese" Spotify is changing some Artist names even though the devices main language is set to English.

We will contact Spotify and will inform them about this bug. In the meantime please do the following:

If you are being affected in djay Pro for the Mac:
  1. open System Preferences
  2. click Language & Region
  3. delete "Japanese" in the Preferred languages list by selecting it and click minus
  4. click Keyboard Preferences...
  5. make sure to delete "Japanese" in this list too
  6. restart djay Pro
If you are being affected in djay 2/Pro for iOS:
  1. open Settings
  2. go to General
  3. click Language & Region
  4. click Edit
  5. delete "Japanese" in the Preferred Language Order list
  6. restart djay Pro

We are more than happy to finally help you with this annoying issue. If there nevertheless should be anything bothering you, contact us right away.

Thank you,
cheers.

Lukas E.
Photo of DeeJay

DeeJay

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Just tried this "fix" today and it still shows Japanese characters. Japanese language wasn't even installed on my MAC but I installed it and then deleted it to see if it would work. It still shows up as Japanese for artist names.

Makes my MAC useless until a real fix is identified.
Photo of Lukas E

Lukas E, Official Rep

• 4052 Posts
  • 390 Reply Likes
Hi DeeJay,

sorry to hear that, have you checked your Keyboard language settings too?

Cheers,
Lukas E.
Photo of DeeJay

DeeJay

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Lukas,
I did check both the overall language and the keyboard language. Japanese wasn't even installed on my MAC - the only language present in both places is English.
Photo of Lukas E

Lukas E, Official Rep

• 4052 Posts
  • 390 Reply Likes
Just to be sure, can you please attach two screenshots of your language and keyboard settings?
Sorry to bother you...

Cheers,
Lukas E.
Photo of DeeJay

DeeJay

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Lukas,

Here are screenshots of my Mac to show that the Japanese language is not installed and I still get the Japanese characters in my music list from Spotify.

Photo of Lukas E

Lukas E, Official Rep

• 4052 Posts
  • 390 Reply Likes
Thank you for providing the screenshots. Could you try to 
  1. add Japanese to the language list
  2. open djay Pro
  3. close djay Pro
  4. delete Japanese 
  5. open djay Pro?
Please keep me posted about the results.

Cheers,
Lukas E.
Photo of DeeJay

DeeJay

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Lukas,
I tried the instructions above and it still shows Japanese characters.
Photo of Daniel Hublein

Daniel Hublein

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Lukas,

I also tried the above method but it wasn't able to solve the problem
Photo of Lukas E

Lukas E, Official Rep

• 4052 Posts
  • 390 Reply Likes
Hi Daniel and DeeJay,

we are checking if there is any workaround here. Sorry to hear that you have to still deal with this. Also we direct messaged Spotify and hope that they will fix this issue soon. We are sorry but at the moment we have to wait for a fix too.

Cheers,Lukas E.
Photo of Wolzger

Wolzger

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Lukas,

ich habe leider das exakt selbe Problem mit Mavericks 10.9.5 und Djay Pro (aktuellste Version).
Auf meinem anderen Macbook Late 2013 mit Sierra tritt das Problem nicht auf.
Habe jedoch hier ein Mid 2009 Macbook Pro auf dem Mavericks läuft und auch weiterhin laufen soll.
Habe das System bereits neu installiert leider ohne Erfolg.
Es ist ärgerlich, das ihr das Problem nicht in den Griff zu bekommen scheint?!
Wenn man sich hier im Forum umsieht, sieht es ja nicht so aus als ob es ein Einzelfall wäre.
Gibt es evtl. noch einen anderen Lösungsansatz wie das Problem in den Griff zu bekommen ist?

Wäre um Hilfe bzw. eine baldige Lösung in Form eines funktionierenden Workarounds bzw. Patch sehr dankbar.

Gruß Wolfgang
Photo of Lukas E

Lukas E, Official Rep

• 4052 Posts
  • 390 Reply Likes
Hi Wolfgang,

thank you for your post. In general our workaround is working out nicely for the most users. We are sorry that it is not for you. Also the problem here is that this issue is more on the Spotify side so we are waiting for a fix as well.
In the meantime the only thing I can suggest is that you go through the procedure step by step one more time.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers,
Lukas E.
Photo of DeeJay

DeeJay

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Lukas,

I understand that you are at a point where you need Spotify to help correct the issue, but it's making my system almost unusable until corrected. Could you please keep pressing for an alternate solution for the few of us that this still affects?
Photo of Lukas E

Lukas E, Official Rep

• 4048 Posts
  • 390 Reply Likes
Hi DeeJay,

of course, we are doing our best in order to find a work around, this has high priority.

Cheers,
Lukas E.
Photo of DeeJay

DeeJay

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Update - Upgrading to MacOS Sierra corrected the Japanese character issue. Not sure why I had to update the OS to get it to correct since it was working fine with my last OS and then all of a sudden changed. But it is now in English.
Photo of Lukas E

Lukas E, Official Rep

• 4048 Posts
  • 390 Reply Likes
This is great to hear!
I am very sorry that we couldn't help you there.

If you have any questions or suggestions, or if you would like further information, please don't hesitate to contact us. 

Cheers,
Lukas E.