Controller and usb storage same time on ipad

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
Has anyone found a magical way of being able to use a controller and also use external usb storage at the same time? I noticed the lightning connection splitters only allow charging on one side and headphones on the other side, so i doubt they would work in this case, but has anyone tried and been succesful?

I know i could use icloud drive (i currently have itunes match) but my problem is not having enough storage on my ipad to load a whole playlist of music and it would be handy not having to delete files to download others.
Photo of Rossyp

Rossyp

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of david rush

david rush

• 7 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
not directly an answer but this is a potential workaround - store 100's  of tracks on a wireless drive ie ie a WD Passport Wireless drive or an Airstash and leave space on your iPad for say 30 songs - you can load off the wireless drive on request in the same was as iCLoud but without needing a wireless access point at the gig (you create a direct wireless connection - iPad to your wireless drive) it does create a local copy of said track on your iPad so you still need to manage space requirement 
Photo of Shaun Green

Shaun Green

• 35 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Will this work with an older ipad? Not on ios13?
Photo of JiPenade

JiPenade

• 38 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Easy: just use the apple lightning to USB adapter which also have a lightning power input. Successfully tried with my mixon4 and external powered USB drive , and also some USB key
Photo of Rossyp

Rossyp

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Sweet, can you send me a link to the one you have...
Photo of JiPenade

JiPenade

• 38 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Photo of Rossyp

Rossyp

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Awesome... one more question, can your read the tracks from the usb hd/flash drive? Or does it have to be transfered to the actual ipad?

I have a mixon4 also so i am hoping you have saved all my problems.
Photo of JiPenade

JiPenade

• 38 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
yes you can read the tracks directly from Djay : in fact it's like you add index of the folder you choose from the drive to Djay and it appears like a playlist into Djay
then you can play any file of this (kind of) playlist

here is the news you missed :
https://www.algoriddim.com/news/293-algoriddim-enhances-djay-for-ios-13-and-ipados-adding-powerful-f...

Photo of Rossyp

Rossyp

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Ahhh so i hit a wall which i should have realised before. I HAVE AN IPAD AIR 1. Which means i will never have ios13. Which means no external storage. Guess i am screwed.
Photo of JiPenade

JiPenade

• 38 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
oh it's a pity... yes, iOS/iPadOS 13 required for that....
Photo of Shaun Green

Shaun Green

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Also not happy about this being an "ios13" only feature
Photo of Rossyp

Rossyp

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Its not a fault with algoriddim though. Stupid Apple. They are no longer making updates to devices stuck with ios12. I was hoping that i would still be able to use external drives as i was able to get the files app. Also tried researching if anybody had tried the camera connection kit with an old device like mine on ios 12 but no luck. And i am not going to fork out £50 to find that it doesnt work.
Photo of Shaun Green

Shaun Green

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I will do it and take it back if it doesnt and let you know. How do i get the files app?
Photo of Rossyp

Rossyp

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I wouldnt bother, i am pretty sure it wont work. Files app is in the app store . It should already be on your device once you upgrade your ios.
Photo of Shaun Green

Shaun Green

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Would a wifi usb device work do you think?
Photo of Rossyp

Rossyp

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I'm not sure.
Photo of Shaun Green

Shaun Green

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Nightmare situation this.. i don't really want to front the money for a brand new ipad just for this feature.
Photo of Rossyp

Rossyp

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Feel free to try the camera connection kit though... i personally hate returning things to a shop... but i am generally intrigued to see if by some magic it works.
Photo of JiPenade

JiPenade

• 38 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
in fact all this happens through the Files app included into Djay : then you can access everything that the (iPad) Files app can access, including Dropbox, Google Drive or ... network access :)
(at least this works under iOS 13 ... just try under you actual OS)
(Edited)
Photo of Shaun Green

Shaun Green

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi. Could you explain how this is done? I am having difficulty actually doing these steps. It would be much appreciated.
Photo of Rossyp

Rossyp

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
What ipad are you using shaun?
Photo of Shaun Green

Shaun Green

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Ipad mini 2 mate
Photo of Rossyp

Rossyp

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Nothig will happen on djay with your ipad as is has no reason to access your files app (if you downloaded it). You can dowload tracks saved on icloud from the top icon (above the itunes icon). When you create a new playlist in that folder you will have the option to add files from icloud.
Photo of Shaun Green

Shaun Green

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I will check it out.

According to one of the developers here there is an option to play music through the "Open In" section of this guide https://help.algoriddim.com/hc/en-us/...
Photo of Rossyp

Rossyp

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Yeah saw that but it just looks so messy. I wish you could view all the track information as normal
Photo of Shaun Green

Shaun Green

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Have you found a solution mate?
Photo of Rossyp

Rossyp

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Me? No I already came to the conclusion that the only solution is to get a laptop when i have the dollar.
Photo of Shaun Green

Shaun Green

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yes same here mate. Might get a second hand ipad pro for cheap after crimbo when everybody skint.
Photo of Shaun Green

Shaun Green

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Do you think a jailbroken ipad mini 2 will work?