DVS Support would really shake up the competition.

• Idea
  • Updated 5 months ago
Please add DVS support to Djay across all platforms/OS

If Djay supported Digital Vinyl you would see a lot of users of Traktor and Serato switch over to using Djay.
Photo of Stuart Burton

Stuart Burton

• 53 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Stuart Burton

Stuart Burton

• 53 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
So would I.
Photo of Timothy Refile

Timothy Refile

• 97 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
would be so great if this had DVS and you could use the Mixars Duo, (for future windows version of DJAY) this dream may never come true, but i'm hopeful lol..
Photo of JP Melendres

JP Melendres

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
DVS support x djay Pro = GAME CHANGER. PLEASE do this.. Controllers are great, but controlling sounds with vinyl feels natural. 
Photo of Lukas E

Lukas E, Official Rep

• 4135 Posts
  • 409 Reply Likes
Thank you guys for pushing the topic.

Forwarding this internally, unfortunately still no news but I wanted to let you know that I am pushing :)

Cheers,Lukas E.
Photo of Sean Craig

Sean Craig

• 7 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Thanks Lukas!
Photo of Stuart Burton

Stuart Burton

• 53 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Thank you Lukas.
It means a lot to me and I'm sure all the others following this thread.
Serato in their latest release have made some serious improvements for DVS users, so it certainly isn't going away or not getting supported.
Please push for this. You have a fantastic iOS App.
Don't let DJ Player push you out the market because it supports DVS.
Kind regards
Stuart
Photo of Lancer X

Lancer X

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Another very interested party. I am a scratch DJ, but really like the Djay platform, Spotify integration, and the Reloop controllers have the best jog wheels on the market. But, I have spent the last few years learning to scratch on vinyl, and can't switch away from Traktor until Djay DVS happens. :)
Photo of Sean Craig

Sean Craig

• 7 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hey Lancer. Vinyl is sweet, yeah. While you wait for this update, check out VDJ. It has come a long way, and is pretty decent. Doesn't have the simplicity of Djay, but works well, is stable and has a simplistic Spotify integration. I'm sure the integration will be improved. They just implemented it recently.
Photo of Stuart Burton

Stuart Burton

• 53 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Hey Sean,
Does VDJ support DVS for use with Spotify Playlists?
Cheers
Stuart
Photo of Deejay Dave

Deejay Dave

• 332 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Vdj is effective but as with many of its features it is not actually "supported" but merely hacking spotifys system so to speak. Hence the reason it only streams at 1.5x deeming it useless for seeking or cue points etc.
Photo of Stuart Burton

Stuart Burton

• 53 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
That's interesting. I never knew that.
Photo of Stuart Burton

Stuart Burton

• 53 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
That's not meant to sound sarcastic.
I'm being genuine.
Photo of Sean Craig

Sean Craig

• 7 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Deejay Dave, can you clarify the issue? I find it loads to drive like any other track. Seek and cue points work fine. Am I missing something?
Photo of Sean Craig

Sean Craig

• 7 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
..I guess it loads a little slow. But it's totally usable and stable.
Photo of Deejay Dave

Deejay Dave

• 332 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
It is usable for sure. I just don't like VDJ's politics and code of ethics TBH. As a DJ software it is great but how they get/got there is not for me.
Photo of Stuart Burton

Stuart Burton

• 53 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I totally understand where you're coming from.
Algoriddim seriously need to support DVS to be taken seriously alongside the likes of Traktor & Serato.
Djay is a great app with a really nice GUI.....lets make it even better and introduce DVS!!!
Photo of jayneural

jayneural

• 124 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
VDJ starts looking really good indeed, especially since they included connexion to streaming services, but hell how it's expensive ! Even more than Serato which I also find very expensive considering they also get revenue from hardware makers to support their products.
Photo of Deejay Dave

Deejay Dave

• 332 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Vdj is not as expensive relatively speaking as you are not required to have hardware at all while it is required to use serato with the absolute cheapest hardware being no less than $200.
Photo of Sean Craig

Sean Craig

• 7 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
If you're not getting paid to DJ I can see how the price would seem steep.
Photo of Deejay Dave

Deejay Dave

• 332 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Exactly. This is all relative as let's be honest $300 (VDJ) is peanuts compared to what a working DJ spends on music annually let alone the hardware/software end.
Photo of jayneural

jayneural

• 124 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Algoriddim just bring :

- Apple Music with offline mode,
- improved Filters/FX
- DVS, and you are the king of virtual djing.

Also please bring external mixer routing support on mobile app ! And then you'll get serious about mobile DJing !
Photo of Stuart Burton

Stuart Burton

• 53 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I couldn't agree more.

The only thing I would add is to make these features available on iPad App.

DJ's don't always want to carry a laptop nowadays!!
Photo of jayneural

jayneural

• 124 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Solid iOS features and stability is good value as it's an alternative to this era of returning to laptop-less setups, which cost so expensive....
Photo of Sean Craig

Sean Craig

• 7 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I like the minimal features of the app. Keeps development cost lower and is a nice clean light simple app.
(Edited)
Photo of Stuart Burton

Stuart Burton

• 53 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Check out DJ Player App on iPad.
It supports DVS and even Traktors Stems!!!
As far as I'm aware it's the only iPad App with DVS.
Sadly no Spotify!!!
Photo of Deejay Dave

Deejay Dave

• 332 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
It is not the only iPad app with DVS. Edjing offers DVS as well http://www.edjing.com/mix/ios
Photo of Renato Martins

Renato Martins

• 6 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Thinking in buying vdj just because DVS.
I would rather pay that money to a Djay Plugin, but no news :(
Photo of Stuart Burton

Stuart Burton

• 53 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
If your not bothered about Spotify integration DJ Player App on iOS is a great App that supports DVS on an iPad!!!
Photo of Deejay Dave

Deejay Dave

• 332 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
And offers Deezer anyways if you need a Spotify type service.
Photo of Mike Serafin

Mike Serafin

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Just adding another request for DVS support. If this is implemented, I'd buy DJay Pro tomorrow.
Photo of MattJDaMattrix

MattJDaMattrix

• 56 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Bro, we're ALL on the edge of our seats waiting for it! No joke!
Photo of STX

STX

• 6 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Adding DVS to djay pro will also integrates new controllers as a NS7III.. I know Algoriddim is focused on new windows users but what about the users that owned the software?. We need also good upgrades and DVS integration. Many of us are switching to other software already.
Photo of Völler Róbert

Völler Róbert

• 5 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
They can kiss my ass really. Is so fucked behaviour to ignore people who are paid and still interest about new features.
Photo of Rico Collins

Rico Collins

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Now is the time because now serato dj has lost pulselocker. And this would be the perfect time to step in with dvs support. With Spotify, DVS, and any other upgrade that you paying customers have been waiting and asking for Algoriddim could really take over the digital dj software industry. If you guys don't act now would be a major disappointment. Either you are slipping or just not caring about your paying customers!
Photo of MattJDaMattrix

MattJDaMattrix

• 56 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I fully, fully, fully agree with that! Come on ALGORIDDIM let's go!
Photo of Stuart Burton

Stuart Burton

• 53 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I couldn't agree more!!!
Come on Algoriddim.......I've been waiting years for this!!!
Photo of DjKingBee

DjKingBee

• 15 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
PATIENTLY WAITING for DVS integration. Pls Pls Pls add this
Photo of Elvis Djvalpacino Dunbar Lewis

Elvis Djvalpacino Dunbar Lewis

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Dvs Plse
Photo of Giovanni Zazzera

Giovanni Zazzera

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Dvs plugin plse
Photo of Jan Bock

Jan Bock

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
What about DVS without Timecode but with this new gadget?
https://phase-project.com
Photo of Stuart Burton

Stuart Burton

• 53 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I'd be happy with that.
Photo of MattJDaMattrix

MattJDaMattrix

• 56 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Hopefully it will be coming soon.
Photo of MattJDaMattrix

MattJDaMattrix

• 56 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Which Gadget is that, Jan?
Photo of Stuart Burton

Stuart Burton

• 53 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Take a look at the video above MattDaMattrix
Photo of Adam Sparkes

Adam Sparkes

• 2 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
This would give me a good excuse to buy Phase!
Photo of Giovanni Zazzera

Giovanni Zazzera

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Phase is just the beginning, this technology will have to be implemented directly in future mixers for dvs, as the first concept is fine.
Photo of Deejay Dave

Deejay Dave

• 332 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Not sure you guys are understanding the concept here. It replaces timecode vinyl and cartridges YES but it most certainly does NOT replace timecode. It literally IS timecode. You know that "signal" word they keep using? Take a guess what that signal is................ timecode. Thus this works with DVS systems thus full DVS implementation would still be necessary. All this is is a new input device. AMAZING yes but as far as SW goes (aka Serato, Djay Pro etc.) absolutely nothing changes here. If you are simply looking for this technology to be added to some similar device yet not an actual turntable you are quite literally right back to a basic midi controller.

Moral of the story here though is there is no such thing as DVS without timecode. Whether said timecode is stamped on a control vinyl, burned to a CD, copied to a USB flash drive or via Phase it is still just timecode.
Photo of Jan Bock

Jan Bock

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
@Deejay Dave: Maybe I’m wrong (due to a lack of technical understanding), but this is not timecode. Timecode Vinyls play a physical signal, which must be transformed into the movement of the record. That’s what the dvs-systems like Traktor and Serato do. But the phase device sends a direct signal of the movement of the record – like any controller jogwheels or the wheels of a pioneer cdj would do. That’s why i think, Djay Pro could work with phase.

Did you watch the video? Theoretically phase would work with any spinning turntable. You could even lift the record and spin it by hand. No need for a tonearm or a connection of the tt.
Photo of Stuart Burton

Stuart Burton

• 53 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
At first glance I was hoping that it sent the Phase remote data to the receiver via Bluetooth.
If this was the case, I was thinking that Algoriddim could update their app to receive and read the data being sent.
I thought this might be a very attractive alternative to traditional DVS for Algoriddim to implement.
Unfortunately because it's not Bluetooth this wouldn't be an option.
Photo of Stuart Burton

Stuart Burton

• 53 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
If any one was in doubt, here's how Phase works:
There’s something similar to an accelerometer inside of the Phase remotes. They measure the rotation angle, speed and direction of the phase remotes and send the information to the receiver. Instead of Bluetooth, MWM has developed their own patented wireless technology that’s less susceptible to interference.
The great thing about Phase is that there’s far less susceptibility to common timecode stamped vinyl issues such as Bass rumble, dying/dusty needle etc.
The Dock is used to recharge the Phase remotes and also acts as the timecode output device – it sends timecode signal out to your laptop via a USB cable.
Basically, if you have a traditional DVS setup and switched to Phase, the Phase receiver would simply replace your Soundcard/Traktor/Serato box and the Phase remotes sit on any vinyl of your choice.
Photo of Deejay Dave

Deejay Dave

• 332 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
@ Jan simply put yes you are wrong. You are speaking of the signal within the Phase ecosystem alone. What happens after that? The signal sent to the Phase receiver unit is its own proprietary data YES but the "signal" sent to the DVS device (SL box, mixer or controller) from the Phase receiver is most certainly time code.......... it has to be. There would be no way to decipher if it wasn't. Interfaces then translate said timecode signals into audio.

Again you are mistaking time code for something only found on vinyl. Timecode is used within DVS systems via CD, USB device and even apps http://www.inklen.com/tonetable if this still does not make sense to you simply ask away.
Photo of Deejay Dave

Deejay Dave

• 332 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Also keep in mind if it wasn't timecode there would be no need for the DVS interfaces..................
Photo of Jan Bock

Jan Bock

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
@DJ Dave: Got it and there is no doubt, that you have a point. In the meantime I also learned, that you don't connect the phase receiver directly to your computer/laptop (as i thought this would work), but to the mixer and from there a (similar to timecode-) signal goes to your dvs sound card (sl4, NI A6, Denon, Rane, Pioneer S9, etc.), which will be connected to your computer – as usual.

BUT and beside this way of processing the movement of the record, I just don’t get the difference between this technique and the ability of the Djay Pro Software to work with CDJ’s or Jogwheels of a Controller. Some device sends a signal of a gesture, just to transform it into a corresponding behavior of your digital audio data.

I’m sorry, because I probably don’t see the whole picture, but I really do not understand, why this definitely can’t be a possibility to make "dvs" happen for the algoriddim software. Provided a colobaration between the founders of phase and algoriddim.

@Dave: if you can’t read my explanations without constantly shaking your head, please don’t get upset and do me a favor by explaining me in simple words, where the big difference is, between the software working with the signal of e. g. a jogwheel and the data a device like phase would send.

Either way – a reaction of the official algoriddim staff would be marvelous! ;-)
Photo of Deejay Dave

Deejay Dave

• 332 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
It's all good.

So let's explain a basic DVS setup first (using timecode vinyl, turntables, an interface and a mixer)

Things will happen in this order. A signal is embedded onto vinyl (audibly heard as a constant ringing) which is sent via RCA phono cables to interface. It is here where the interface (when combined with a computer via USB) will translate the timecode into usable audio content which will then be sent to the mixer (via RCA phono cables) and from the mixer to your speakers.

Phase utilizes timecode thus needs a DVS system to work. What would actually be wanted here (Djay Pro) would be a TT/vinyl solution that communicates via MIDI or HID. MIDI is the data protocol used by basic and advanced controllers (DDJ-SX, NS7III etc.) while HID is used by more advanced media players (CDJ-2000NXS2 etc.) but both are usable by Djay Pro as is with NO need to introduce DVS capabilities. Now if you can read between the lines here Rane is releasing a product this year that precisely fits the bill a la the Rane twelve. While not actually vinyl itself neither is Phase.

Anyways to sum this up I am not saying Algoriddim could not implement DVS what I am saying is this new product (Phase) does not change anything here as is unless DVS is added to Djay Pro or MIDI/HID is added to Phase.
Photo of jayneural

jayneural

• 124 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I hope we are also asking for the iOS/Android version to have DVS here, what a great portable setup it would make to go and mix in clubs or as a backup solution !

Of course it implies external audio routing to also be ported to iOS/Android versions

See specific request from mine about external routing here: http://community.algoriddim.com/algor...
Photo of Deejay Dave

Deejay Dave

• 332 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
"One step at a time" comes to mind............
Photo of jayneural

jayneural

• 124 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
When in a market where there already three leaders (Serato/Rekordbox/Traktor), it would be a good differentiator having a solution that works both on laptop and mobile though!

Only DJ Player Pro would compete, with a subscription pricing model which to my opinion isn’t convenient for the casual DJ who mixes on mobile devices once in a while or for backup solution on Pro booths.

Maybe they can start with the Mac/Win version to include DVS while mobile version gets external routing mode. Then bring DVS on mobile in a second step.
(Edited)
Photo of Daniel Di Rossi

Daniel Di Rossi

• 27 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
As a Pro user i really like to see this coming up to the next level...i current have use almost all the major softwares...i have purchase Rekordbox Traktor and also the mixvibes cross (that by the way stop in time on pc/mac releases)...and from some reason since a start the new residence i purchase Djay Pro and i love it....but i miss so much the DVS...I already try to go back to Traktor and use it in one session and for some reason i came back to Djay pro....the only one who's keeping me pulling is Rekordbox...but i always like the "underdogs" i think the correct way to do it is like you say @jayneural...like NIKE say "JUST DO IT"
Photo of Stuart Burton

Stuart Burton

• 53 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I couldn't agree with you more Jayneural & Daniel Di Rossi.
It's good to see activity picking up on this thread again.
Thank you for your input.
Hopefully if this thread continues to see support we might finally see some action from the Algoriddim team.
Photo of Daniel Di Rossi

Daniel Di Rossi

• 27 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I'm trying to be more in contact with the team exposing some minor bugs and ideas for some layout tweaks...hope they do something...
Photo of Daniel Di Rossi

Daniel Di Rossi

• 27 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
And for some reason i think i was alone....i need this to much...dvs...please...i switch over to Djay pro...and have to switch of playing in turntables to use HID mode in the club...lets go Algoriddim dive us DVS...
Photo of Deejay Dave

Deejay Dave

• 332 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
I am not sure if the big picture is being seen here. The word "Pro" is used as a marketing tactic and some are taking it as status. Numark has released controllers with the word Pro in it and they have not released Pro equipment in years.

Spotify is not licensed for pro (commercial use) and Djay Pro NOT being a professional solution is what allows this exclusive partnership. Other apps being mentioned (Serato, Traktor, Rekordbox) ARE professional applications hence they offer professional tools hence they can not offer Spotify. VDJ tried and look what happened. The external routing for iOS, DVS, etc. sure would be great but did you consider losing Spotify? Are you willing to lose it for DVS? Probably not. External routing for iOS DEFINITELY not. If you are willing to trade these for Spotify I have bad news. The vast majority of the people here are not as the VAST majority are using Djay because of Spotify. Algoriddim knows this and they also know what i at stake to lose Spotify's good graces.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this one really should have been obvious...... At this point I feel best bet is getting Phase to offer MIDI or HID language.
Photo of Stuart Burton

Stuart Burton

• 53 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Deejay Dave, can you please explain what you mean when you say "Djay Pro NOT being a professional solution"?
Surely a professional DJ can use whatever App/software he or she chooses.

Your post seems to suggest that the inclusion of DVS functionality in DJ Apps and Software is what makes it either Pro or Consumer.

Do you really think that Spotify integration is what is preventing Algoriddim from adding DVS functionality to their App?

"VDJ tried and look what happened" - Why exactly did Spotify integration get removed from VDJ?
Was it because VDJ has DVS capability?

Kind regards
Photo of jayneural

jayneural

• 124 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
DJ Player Pro for iOS does have both external audio routing and DVS. That doesn’t prevent it from being interfaced with Deezer streaming service just like Spotify does with Djay Pro.
(Edited)
Photo of Stuart Burton

Stuart Burton

• 53 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Copied from the Virtual DJ Website:

2017-09-08 Update:
Following the inquiry of a major label into the use of Spotify in Pro DJ applications like VirtualDJ, Spotify access has been temporarily removed from VDJ 8. We are in discussions with the concerned parties in order to restore and improve the service but currently no ETA can be provided"
Photo of Stuart Burton

Stuart Burton

• 53 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Jayneural, I can only assume that the "major label" mentioned in the Virtual DJ Update above doesn't have any of their labels music on Deezer.
Photo of Deejay Dave

Deejay Dave

• 332 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Keep in mind. Deezer is not Spotify. They are in different countries. They have different labels. They are restricted by different copyright laws. Deezer has a MUCH smaller userbase. Spotify is dominant in the US.......... need I say more. Hence the reason DJ Player Pro, VDJ, etc can offer integration (with clauses stating end users will not be using commercially............ LOL right?)

Djay is not DJ Player Pro. Algoriddim has multiple flagship apps with a huge user base to worry about Gabor Szanto does not. FWIW He did look into Spotify integration for DJ Player Pro and they turned him down if I am not mistaken.

Anyways this is just a way of looking at things and not actual policy as of now. Not trying to derail this topic any further anyways. Out of curiosity would this new Phase product suffice most DVS users needs here?
Photo of Stuart Burton

Stuart Burton

• 53 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
From what I've read about Phase and seen on videos of DJ's using Phase it looks like a serious alternative to traditional DVS.
Providing the latency isn't too great it would meet my needs.
All DVS users really want to do is manipulate digital music files with the use of turntables and vinyl. As long as it does this accurately, I don't think anyone really cares how it does it.
Obviously the simpler (Less wires/Hardware) this setup can be, the better.
Photo of Daniel Di Rossi

Daniel Di Rossi

• 27 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Didn't phase need a dvs software base?
Photo of Stuart Burton

Stuart Burton

• 53 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Yes, that is correct Daniel.
Photo of Deejay Dave

Deejay Dave

• 332 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
It does but again in hopes of seeing the bigger picture it would be MUCH easier convincing a relatively new developer looking to gain a strong user base in an already saturated industry to add MIdI/HID language to phase than trying to convince an already existing product with an already strong user base to add something that could potentially cause major issues/hurdles for their licensing structure. I was the one who was pointing out phase was strictly DVS so I was under the impression this would have been implied.
Photo of Jupp Zupp

Jupp Zupp

• 1 Post
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi guys, I am one of the desperate DJs on the waiting list for Algoriddim to enable for timecode integration.
A lot of comments and wishes within this Forum are very valid and concrete (if I may say ...). However Algoriddim failed to precisely  inform on what exactly is done in that respect - the only comment is "we are working on it" or "I am pushing"
From my understanding and as a paying customer I/we have the right to understand what is the way forward and what is the likelyhood. 
Overall I expect professionalism and clarity from a professional company that we all pay money to.
So Algoriddim, share insights so we as customers can make a decision!
Photo of Deejay Dave

Deejay Dave

• 332 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Algoriddim or its representatives are in no way obligated to make comments of any kind on this forum. It is this philosophy of demanding that probably deters them from engaging any further into this topic. There is nothing wrong with hoping or even asking but expecting / demanding DVS and/or requiring answers regarding it is not very reasonable. Every customer here purchased Djay Pro (or its derivatives) full knowing this app did not offer DVS and there have been no indications of any progress that I know. Out of curiosity where did you see anyone say "we are working on it"?

Regardless of previous erroneous claims that it is the norm for DJ software developers to disclose future decisions/projects I'd like to remind this is not actually the case. Native Instruments, Pioneer DJ, Serato, etc. all operate the same in that they progress forward keeping decisions internal then push to a smaller base of trusted users (professionals in the industries usually) who further test and provide feedback and lastly going to a public beta where things usually get leaked as these users will not understand or care about NDA's and this is where the developers are reminded that keeping things internal is the best way to go.

Anyways the hole point here is ask away and hopefully you will get some feedback/answers but trust that nobody here (employee or not) owes you a single tidbit of information on future decisions. To think they do is ............ well you get the point.
Photo of sven van bavel

sven van bavel

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
+1 for DVS support. I have djay pro, can't use it with my Denon sc3900's in hybrid midi/DVS mode. Both serato and Traktor timecode are built in these decks but can't use it in djay pro... Also have timecode traktor vinyl and audio 10 interface but also there, not usable with djay pro... So come on algoriddim! You can do this!
Photo of Deejay Dave

Deejay Dave

• 332 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
You can not map via Djay Pro? It offers MIDI support and the 3900's are MIDI compatible.
Photo of sven van bavel

sven van bavel

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
no, SC3900 is HYBRID midi so part is midi, part is timecode. the SC3900 has a spînning platter, to operate it with the spinning platter working, timecode needs to be supported.
Photo of Deejay Dave

Deejay Dave

• 332 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
According to manual the platter is fully MIDI mappable (note 54). The player offers hybrid mode due to the fact they did not have licensing to offer Serato HID as pioneer did so they worked around via hybrid MIDI mode but as far a I know the players are also fully usable as standard MIDI controllers. Pg 32 explains how to connect to normal or hybrid MIDI mode. Normal for Djay Pro obviously............

http://b06ba727c886717f9577-fff53f927...
Photo of sven van bavel

sven van bavel

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Doesn't this only work without the moving platter? The so named 'CDJ' mode? The engine on the platter is put off then, so you have a static platter. In that case you lose the whole point of using this 'turntable feel' deck. I could be wrong though.
Photo of Deejay Dave

Deejay Dave

• 332 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Can't see that being how it is. Just because it has a spinning platter does not really mean anything. The NS7, NS7II, NS7III, V7 all have spinning platters and none offer DVS. It is simply an input device. While spinning it reads at zero. While slowed down it is pitch down while sped up it is pitch up etc. This can be delivered as code (aka data) or actual time code (aka DVS) in the case of this hybrid player. One thing is seemingly clear though that you have not yet tried this. I would suggest doing so and see how you make out. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Photo of Daniel Di Rossi

Daniel Di Rossi

• 27 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
So please correct me if I'm wrong...but what I understand I can't map out for say an Denon SC 3900 or for example the old and good Stanton SCS D1 ?
Photo of Daniel Di Rossi

Daniel Di Rossi

• 27 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes

This was a sick controller who was forgotten...
(Edited)
Photo of Deejay Dave

Deejay Dave

• 332 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Can map both as seemingly the Stanton is MIDI as well. WOW this one had previously passed me but this thing is a beast even by today's standards. Motorized Pitch Faders even?!?!?
Photo of Daniel Di Rossi

Daniel Di Rossi

• 27 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
And somehow forgotten or ostracized from the Dj community....
Photo of Stuart Burton

Stuart Burton

• 53 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
The Stanton SCS 1D is a fantastic controller in theory......Unfortunately Stanton never really got it to play nice with the top DJ software companies.
In an attempt to get it to work better you had to run a piece of software in the background called Darouter.
The real nail in the coffin for this product was that it used FireWire 400.
I would have liked to have seen a MKII released with USB and all the latency and drift issues sorted.
Unfortunately Stanton have dropped it and no longer support them.
It was a similar story with Stantons Final Scratch if anyone remembers that?
Photo of Deejay Dave

Deejay Dave

• 332 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Now that you mention the FW I actually do remember hearing of these as well as speaking of almost the same content as we are speaking now. If I am being honest I am not sure this could be mapped due to the lack of USB but I don't see why not. I mean the SW (djay) will still see MIDI notes regardless right?
Photo of Stuart Burton

Stuart Burton

• 53 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
From what I've read FireWire to US adapters don't work from the many who have tried so you need a FW port to start with.
If you have FW it will map but when you do get it mapped the latency and drift are too much for serious scratching.
Such a shame, they're currently selling for £200 brand new!!!
Not bad considering they were over £600 when released.
Unfortunately if you buy one you'll end up with a very expensive paperweight.
Photo of sven van bavel

sven van bavel

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hey dj Dave, just tried the SC3900 with Traktor with full midi (no hybrid midi). With full midi the platter motor is not turned on when play is pressed. So to have 'the real vinyl feel' you need to put t in hybrid midi/DVS mode. 'full midi' is as I mentioned 'CDJ' mode, what is not as good, mainly because the platter hasn't any resistance. Compare it with a turntable that isn't spinning and you're pushing using the platter. Push it and it has too little resistance, it 'spins' too much.
Photo of Daniel Di Rossi

Daniel Di Rossi

• 27 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
So forgive me my question, but can I map or not the Stanton in Djay pro?
Because I have a pretty nice deal hook up...
Photo of Stuart Burton

Stuart Burton

• 53 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Yes but you need a laptop that supports FireWire 400 and be prepared for latency and drift on the platters.
Also, you'll get little to no support Stanton.
I've looked into it and decided against it.....I love the product but it just doesn't work well.
Photo of Deejay Dave

Deejay Dave

• 332 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Honestly with the capabilities and very cheap price of the Rane twelves I would opt for them instead.
Photo of Stuart Burton

Stuart Burton

• 53 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
@Deejay Dave

2 x Stanton SCS 1D £400
2 x Rane Twelves £1400

That's £1000 difference......
Hardly a cheap price in comparison!!!!!
Photo of Daniel Di Rossi

Daniel Di Rossi

• 27 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I can get the all the system including the mixer around 450€...
And I'm still using a MacBook pro mid 2009 I'm my weekly gigs...and in that Mac I have FireWire connectivity...
Photo of Stuart Burton

Stuart Burton

• 53 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I can definitely see the attraction!!!
I wish I could say it works well but all I've read is about it crashing and poor platter control.
Photo of Daniel Di Rossi

Daniel Di Rossi

• 27 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
The thing is that for me to be able to mess around with it I have to buy the system, and I could and with ,like they said before, with a real expensive paper weight...
Photo of Deejay Dave

Deejay Dave

• 332 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
@ Stuart I understand compared to Stanton's the new Rane HW is not cheap but if we are being honest compared to current HW of similar caliber they are dirt cheap. So much in fact that aside from my DDJ-SB & Akai AMX/AFX they are literally the cheapest HW I have purchased in quite a few years. Thing is though you are pretty much guaranteed flawless performance via the 12's and similar devices while the Stanton's it is a gamble and seemingly a risky one at that.

ALLL THATTT being said though this is not a pissing contest and we use what works for us. There are no rules in this sense and not for nothing the Stantons offer plenty of features to be worth the chance. If we could just find someone who has tried. Let's start with this though. Has ANYONE here or anywhere for that matter successfully used FW HW of any kind with Djay Pro? Keeping in mind FW has vastly slower speeds than USB 3.0 but keeping in mind that some of today's recent HW still uses USB 1.1 even (DDJ-SX, etc.) so bandwidth would seemingly not be a huge issue here. Hoping for the best.
Photo of Deejay Dave

Deejay Dave

• 332 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
And to keep this on topic and to keep it real make NO mistake I 100% admit that adding DVS would seemingly be a suitable solution for most of the situations brought up here but I firmly believe exploring all options and keeping expectations realistic is always the best policy. In other words until DVS comes what other options could/should work?
Photo of Deejay Dave

Deejay Dave

• 332 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
@ Sven that is unfortunate. I noticed alternate MIDI notes regarding the platter did you happen to look into any of these to see if they p[pertained to the platter movement.

@ Daniel unfortunately I do not have ANY firewire hardware to test on my end but my best advice would be to see if Djay is able to recognize FW hardware whether it be by personally testing, asking an official support representative or perhaps someone else can help. Again I do not see why not as MIDI is MIDI regardless on input method but this is again a best guess.