Future of streaming in djay

• Announcement
  • Updated 3 days ago
  • (Edited)
Hello djay Community,

We hope you’re all well and safe during these days. We want you to know that we’re here to support you as much as ever. And we realize that, maybe especially during the current global situation, DJing and music are more important than ever to escape the news for awhile.

As you know we’ve recently added new streaming services to djay with features that are first of their kind. Today, we’d like to share with you important information about the future of streaming in djay. We’ve received questions from the community recently about this topic, and now that we can officially share a clear picture, we wanted to thank you for your patience and update you on some important changes coming to 3rd party DJ apps, including djay.

As of July 1, 2020, Spotify will no longer be playable through 3rd party DJ apps.

You’ll still be able to use Spotify in djay until the end of June 2020. Going forward, we’ve prepared steps for you to easily transition to another supported streaming service. Most importantly, we understand building a music library takes time and effort, so we’ve set up an easy-to-use process for you to migrate all your songs and playlists to the new service.

We’ve also created a landing page with more detail about the changes, including a short guide to the new streaming services, and some FAQs you might have:

www.algoriddim.com/streaming-migration

Please know that we are here to help every step of the way. Despite the current situation around the world, our Support Team is here for you and remains as committed as ever to helping you in any way we can. If you have any additional questions, feel free to reach out to us at any time.

Your Algoriddim Team
Photo of Emily

Emily, Employee

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Rob

Rob

• 5 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
At least now there is clarity, thanks for that.
For me though, it is a killer blow. For those of us who only bought DJay for the Spotify integration, how do we apply for a refund?
Photo of Stephen Martin

Stephen Martin

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I also only brought Djay because of the Spotify integration however you can migrate all your playlists to Tidal and it works almost the same...

I say almost because I'm in the process of analysing my tracks and setting cue points, I never had an issue with Spotify. It's not uncommon to find the same track on Tidal that is upto two beats out of alignment

Photo of Shaun Green

Shaun Green

• 68 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
That is not two beats out?
Photo of John DeLosa

John DeLosa

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I also only purchased DJay for it's Spotify streaming.

Can you please forward the info for the other services and why they will be equal or better?
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 5 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
For me, it's not just the features but also the cost. I already have a subscription to spotify and use it extensively, but I only use Djay for occasional hobby use. There is no justification to pay for another subscription service just so i can use Djay.
Photo of DJ Boum Boum

DJ Boum Boum

• 38 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
The playlists which are now within Djay's own Music crate, how are they treated? Do they need to be transferred somehow also?
Photo of Mahesh Laikhram

Mahesh Laikhram

• 53 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I'm in the same boat as you Rob, not sure what to do now.
Photo of boogiedj

boogiedj

• 45 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
There’s a pretty clear direction to do this, no matter which service to move to. Spotify to Tidal, SoundCloud, beatpport/source, etc. Just read to the bottom of the press release

https://www.algoriddim.com/streaming-...
Photo of Timothy Refile

Timothy Refile

• 108 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
soundiiz.com
Photo of Timothy Refile

Timothy Refile

• 108 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
"this is Spotify’s decision to withdraw from all DJ streaming platforms. Some of you will knee-jerk blame Algoriddim for ruining their DJ existence, but believe me when I say that this is the last thing that they wanted to happen. It has been their USP in an increasingly crowded DJ streaming market. So be sure to direct your anger at the right people i.e. not Algoriddim".  from DJWORX
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 5 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Yep, i understand. It's a bad situation for Algoriddim - nobody wants unhappy customers.
I also see it from the spotify side - using djay to do live events probably breaches their licencing agreements with music studios, and using 3rd party apps limits their ability to control that.

But my question remains. For those of us who only use djay casually, rely on spotify, and bought algoriddm djay specifically for that, and dont want it anymore because of this huge feature reduction - where do we stand?
Photo of Richard Pearce

Richard Pearce

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Algoriddim should honour customers who spent money of the DJAY 2 ipad app and allow them to use soundcloud when spotify is gone.... Instead they want people to upgrade to the over bloated and over priced pro version. SO this might be spotify not being great but Algoriddim aren't being great either. Both companies will loose my business. 

About time pioneer update their Wego ipad app and give people access to beatport like their iphone version.. 
Photo of David

David, Official Rep

• 137 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
We are providing a free unlock of pro features specifically for existing djay 2 users so you can continue using SoundCloud and TIDAL. Hope this helps. 
Photo of Luca Camporese

Luca Camporese

• 42 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
How? I m getting this error “could not load track requested quality is not allowed in user’s subscription”
Photo of David

David, Official Rep

• 137 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
It sounds like you are trying to use the HiFi setting with TIDAL. Note that the TIDAL premium subscription supports normal and high quality. The HiFi quality setting requires a TIDAL HiFi plan. 
Photo of Luca Camporese

Luca Camporese

• 42 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Weird... if I look in streaming setting for TIDAL it says HIGH... while for HIFI it says Subscription required
I m using an ipad pro os 13.3.1 with djay 3.3.3  
Photo of Luca Camporese

Luca Camporese

• 42 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
As soon as you did your first Tidal announcement I did a trial that is expired now... could be that a reason? I ve tried to logout and login again via djay app but still same issue
Photo of David

David, Official Rep

• 137 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
A few questions: 
- what TIDAL plan did you sign up for?
- did you cancel the subscription after setting up the trial?
- can you send a screenshot of the error message you are seeing? 
- does it work with the normal quality setting?
Photo of Luca Camporese

Luca Camporese

• 42 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
BTW by free unlock feature for djay 2 users... what do you exactly mean? 3 months tidal trial and 1 month soundcloudgo+ as I see in your website migration link above?
Photo of David

David, Official Rep

• 137 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
The free unlock refers to features in the new djay 3 on iOS so you can easily switch from djay 2 to djay 3 for free. But it sounds like you are already on the newest version. With regards to the streaming services, SoundCloud has a 1 month free trial for Go+ and TIDAL is offering an exclusive 3 months free trial for djay users. 
Photo of Luca Camporese

Luca Camporese

• 42 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
 - what TIDAL plan did you sign up for? Free Trial
- did you cancel the subscription after setting up the trial? Yep
- can you send a screenshot of the error message you are seeing? I can t right now since ipad screenshot are more than 2MB in size and this support platform does not allow to upload, need to use a PC
- does it work with the normal quality setting? Same error
Photo of David

David, Official Rep

• 137 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
It sounds like the trial expired then. To continue using TIDAL you'd have to renew your plan with an active subscription. 
Photo of Luca Camporese

Luca Camporese

• 42 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Photo of Luca Camporese

Luca Camporese

• 42 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Found an ipad workaround to decrease file size
Photo of David

David, Official Rep

• 137 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Thanks for sharing the screenshot. From what you describe it still sounds like the trial expired. Can you play songs through the TIDAL app on your iPad? If not, that means you'd have to continue your subscription plan with TIDAL.
Photo of Luca Camporese

Luca Camporese

• 42 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
So basically you are saying that you are offering to your customer something free that will not work for those that are the most loyal (i.e. like myself that tried by myself tidal as soon as you did your first announcement)... really bizarre.
Anyway I hope that by 1st july quarantine here in Italy will be gone and we can start party again, but I m pretty much sure that I m not going to pay another subscription since I have already choosen Spotify for all my devices smart tv included (even if i m an apple addicted). It’s a pity for me since I ve invested some money also in Reloop just because of Algoriddim... you guys did a great work anyway in these years, keep going and good luck with your business
Luca
Photo of Luca Camporese

Luca Camporese

• 42 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
So sad...
Photo of David

David, Official Rep

• 137 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Sorry to see you go Luca. But hopefully you can still give djay with the new services a try, we improved so many areas compared to the Spotify integration. I appreciate your loyalty and understand though that you may not want to keep two subscriptions. Note that we have no way to provide a streaming services for free as it's operated by individual companies. 
Photo of Richard Pearce

Richard Pearce

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi David, you said "We are providing a free unlock of pro features specifically for existing djay 2 users so you can continue using SoundCloud and TIDAL. Hope this helps. " - how and when will this happen? Will all the features of my djay2 be still available on this special upgrade version or are you still gonna try and charge me a subscription for stuff I don't need sometime down the line. 

The djay 2 ipad app was perfect - I really don't understand how software companies can charge for something and then not support it, or why you constantly have to fiddle with stuff. Shameless up-selling is a real turn off to the vast majority of people. 
Photo of Richard Pearce

Richard Pearce

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi David, you said "We are providing a free unlock of pro features specifically for existing djay 2 users so you can continue using SoundCloud and TIDAL. Hope this helps. " - how and when will this happen? Will all the features of my djay2 be still available on this special upgrade version or are you still gonna try and charge me a subscription for stuff I don't need sometime down the line. 

The djay 2 ipad app was perfect - I really don't understand how software companies can charge for something and then not support it, or why you constantly have to fiddle with stuff. Shameless up-selling is a real turn off to the vast majority of people. 
Photo of David

David, Official Rep

• 137 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Richard. The unlock is already in place for existing djay 2 users. Simply launch the new djay for iOS app on the device where you have djay 2 installed and it will automatically present you with a free in-app unlock directly on launch. There is still an optional subscription for looper packs, visuals, and modes, however with the free unlock the core features are fully functional for you without requiring a subscription. Give it a try and let us know how you get a long. Besides major new features available in the new djay, we have improved lots of things under the hood as well such as syncing, graphics quality, and more. 
(Edited)
Photo of John DeLosa

John DeLosa

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I get that, and I have no problem as I am not as invested as lot of other guys here.

My issue is as a casual user, which platform has the most to offer. If anyone has and suggestions or a list of positive and negative feedback it would be helpful to me.
Photo of DJ Boum Boum

DJ Boum Boum

• 38 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
The playlists which are now within Djay's own Music crate, how are they treated? Do they need to be transferred somehow also?

And is it possible to transfer the cue points on those tracks from the Djay crate?
Photo of DJ Boum Boum

DJ Boum Boum

• 79 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I do not think this applies to the tracks that are stored in playlists in Djay Pro's own Library Management system. It only works for Spotify playlists (it seems), not for playlists within the Djay Pro Library. Anyway, that is my experience. Have you or anyone else succeeded with those playlists?
Photo of Mister Tuur

Mister Tuur

• 60 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Missed opportunity for Apple Music by the way. They could've picked up a bunch of influencers in Europe, where they have virtually no customers.
(Edited)
Photo of DJ Ivan

DJ Ivan

• 329 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
I just cancelled the monthly subscription. Spotify integration was also my main reason for using Djay. I keep on using Djay on the Macbook. I have taken a look at Tidal. That wil do for people in the US UK, but if you are in a small country, like the Netherlands, you are missing so much of the local party music. Also, there is no bpm indication on tracks, you have not played before. Tidal for me is no replacement. My business is to smal, to invest too much in music. The Spotify integration suited my workflow perfectly. I'm sad this happens, but glad it's not my main income. 
Something in my head is thinking, Spotify got a better deal. Maybe Dennon of Pioneer... we will see.
It's strange that other platforms keep on working on streaming platforms. A hell of a loss for Djay.
Photo of Emily

Emily, Employee

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Hi, 

Please check out our website for a brief comparison of TIDAL and SoundCloud paired with djay along with links for more information. You can find it here: www.algoriddim.com/streaming-migration

In addition, TIDAL is offering a special 3-month free offer for new users with djay. You can find out more about this offer on the TIDAL migration page

Photo of DJ THE RIDDLER

DJ THE RIDDLER

• 68 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
It’s a good thing but this is not see attachments below
There no BPM on none of the playlists tidal seems like they don’t add BPM what is algoriddim going to do about this ? And it’s the same with SoundCloud
Photo of David

David, Official Rep

• 137 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
We're looking into what can be done here on the streaming service side. Basically the streaming service needs to provide this info. Initially we did not have this in Spotify either and it's a feature that was introduced later on. As for SoundCloud, there is a new feature to analyze entire playlists in the background, something that so far hasn't been possible with any streaming service. Hope this helps and we'll be sure to forward this request. 
Photo of DJ THE RIDDLER

DJ THE RIDDLER

• 68 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hello David
No SoundCloud has no such thing ether Does tidal none of these have Bpm analyzing ability at all David nice try yes tell your new steaming services they have provide this for djay pro it’s a essential tool it is needed to work on the fly David I’m a working DJ I need this app to work so far it’s been great I see a lot of these other DJs canceling their subs why I don’t know but real DJs don’t do that so pay it no mind David straight talk djay pro is one of the best app out to be honest look into this matter David thank you for your reply
Photo of Bertil Löfkvist

Bertil Löfkvist

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Just another comment. The statement "TIDAL is offering a special 3-month free offer for new users with djay" is not entirely true and missleading. It makes you believe that if you are using djay and want to start using Tidal, ie a new user of this combination, you get the free 3-months. Not so, if you are an active Tidal user or even if you previuolsy have been a user, and stopped subscribing, you DO NOT get the free months.That is, if you use the same mail-adress for restarting the Tidal subscription. Even if you stopped ages ago... Algoriddm says that this is "a Tidal thing" and nothing they can do about it, they suggest use another mailadress for the Tidal subscription. But beware, this can cause problems with synchronization. So I say Algoriddim should use correct descriptions and state this from start.   
(Edited)
Photo of boogiedj

boogiedj

• 45 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
What a bunch of crybabies! All I’ve heard is negativity with every change that algoriddim has made, and though you gripe about Spotify being illegal to use in public, you whine when it’s taken away.

Been a djay Pro user for a long time now, especially when they jumped "in bed" with Spotify. And while they have had their fair share of growing pains, it has gotten better with each incremental update.

I'm not exactly sure why the switch, but back in January, I could see the writing on the wall, for sure. As algoriddim has touted Tidal and Soundcloud, Spotify had become less prominent.

As for the future? My guess would be Apple Music will eventually have full integration with djay Pro. For those that have followed from the get-go, Apple has always had their hand in djay, in one form or another. At one time, the original Vestax djay controller was actually sold in Apple stores, and on their site.

Not too long ago, you guys even posted a news article about Apple CEO Tim Cook, taking a tour of algoriddim's offices in Germany. That alone speaks volumes.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least, if Apple bought outright (or at least part) of djay Pro, and offered it as an upgrade in Apple Music. It makes sense. To much chagrin of most users, algoriddim had been toying with the idea of already charging for a monthly subscription service for their iPad version. I guess most people don't know how R&D works.

To be able to sustain a future, developing and implementing new upgrades and features costs money. And by sending out free updates, algoriddim isn't generating new revenue, aside from new sales of the software. And while DJing has definitely increased in popularity, it is still a relatively niche market they are targeting.

Like most things digital (Netflix, Spotify, HBO, Amazon, and even good ol' magazine subscriptions), the subscription business model has always been the template for growing your brand, retaining existing customers, and future growth.

I would suspect by the end of 2020, we will hear an announcement from Apple. Not unlike the Beats by Dre buyout. Apple didn't want the stupid headphones, or speakers from Beats. They wanted the existing streaming service that Beats had already built, so they wouldn't have to waste R&D revenue to build their own.

Either way, I'll roll with whatever service works with djay Pro. As long as they can offer a streaming service. Spotify and djay Pro? You had a good run. Sadly though, algoriddim... Spotify, well? They're just not that into you.
Photo of DJ THE RIDDLER

DJ THE RIDDLER

• 68 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I agree with you 100% DJs have to have music that’s why I collect music at all cost I read that article about apple
Photo of Angus Anger

Angus Anger

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Dont like your condescending 'know it all' tone at all.
Photo of DJ THE RIDDLER

DJ THE RIDDLER

• 68 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hello algoriddim
Now for theses streamers tidal & SoundCloud will they be fix for the auto analyzing track feature or will it be Manuel in other words a drop box to select analyze playlists ??
Please reply this matter is important for us real working DJs
Photo of David

David, Official Rep

• 137 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Hello Riddler, auto analyzing is supported with SoundCloud. When you click the number of song count that's indicated above each playlist there is a popup to allow you to batch analyze the entire playlist in the background. Hope this helps. 
Photo of DJ THE RIDDLER

DJ THE RIDDLER

• 68 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I’m sorry to say David on my Mac there is no such thing I’m very djay pro savy and if there was I worked it without a cause please look again mr David
Thank you for your reply
Photo of DJ THE RIDDLER

DJ THE RIDDLER

• 68 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Ps: SoundCloud does not have music I don’t trust SoundCloud for my gigs plus
I use MacBook Pro not windows tidal in another hand might be abit ok but the music transfer thing only transfers not even half of my playlist from my years with Spotify look into this and see for yourself
(Edited)
Photo of David

David, Official Rep

• 137 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes

I attached a screenshot of the function. We just added this in a recent update, so you may not be on the latest version if you're not seeing it in the app. Hope this helps
Photo of David

David, Official Rep

• 137 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Note that the SoundCloud Go+ subscription contains the premium content from major labels (in addition to the underground tracks typically found in the free version). It would be interesting to know what genres you have in your library that weren't transferred.
Photo of DJ THE RIDDLER

DJ THE RIDDLER

• 68 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Help David thank you for your reply
On my Mac book pro I don’t have the new update because it crashes my controller in other words some functions don’t operate properly like my led lights for sampler and fix leds etc .., now as for your. Screen shot is only for your iTunes play list XML witch is your own library of music
Now for as I was saying for tidal & SoundCloud it has no analyzing function or drop box at all
No I have the old version djay pro 2.1.1 which I always had I never update on my MacBook that iuse to play with I test run it on my other Mac book and on my iPad thank you for your reply please let’s work together to make djay pro great again
Photo of drummin base

drummin base

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
im going to give some very wrong but very helpful advice here, find a spotify downloader! lol
Photo of Luca Camporese

Luca Camporese

• 42 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
So sad...
Photo of MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I wouldn't be surprised if there's a large population of Spotify Premium users that have Premium primarily for DJing, so I wonder how many will cancel their subs following this move by Spotify. In general, I also wonder how much impact this will have on Spotify's stream counts for the various tracks DJs like to play and probably play repeatedly.
Photo of Luca Camporese

Luca Camporese

• 42 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
 I did premiun sub just for Algoriddim but now I ve decided to cancel Algoriddim and keep SPOT Premium anyway, can t move to tidal nor soundcloud
I m trying to migrate my playlist but it's a pain... a large part is missing on those two platform... so I will rely on my mp3 library going back to traktor
Photo of Luca Camporese

Luca Camporese

• 42 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Photo of MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Digging a bit deeper I found that Spotify's licensing prohibits the streaming or caching of two tracks simultaneously and their ToS states "You may not, and you may not permit any device or system used in connection with the Spotify service to, segue, mix, re-mix, or overlap any Spotify Content with any other audio content (including other Spoftify Content)"

Despite this, they have had their relationship with Algoriddim for around six years, so I wonder what has changed their stance now. Commercial pressures I guess.

Perhaps they could get a new license to cover this scenario and add an extra tier of subscription for DJs to help cover the cost. I would happily pay a reasonable amount to continue with the convenience and library of Spotify.

Feel likes they're missing a commercial trick here and I wouldn't be surprised if they lose a load of Premium subs over this.
Photo of Luca Camporese

Luca Camporese

• 42 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
 We (as consumers) are just drops in the water https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/where-will-spotify-be-in-5-years-2020-02-09

Photo of Luca Camporese

Luca Camporese

• 42 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
And algoriddim is just some water in an ocean (music streaming market)
Photo of Digital Jedi

Digital Jedi

• 22 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi, team I pay my subscription again but soundcloud go + don’t cover my country and tidal subscription is high price then the Spotify. So what can I do?
Photo of David

David, Official Rep

• 137 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Thanks for reaching out. Did you look into the TIDAL Premium, it's $9.99 / month like Spotify Premium. TIDAL Premium also offers high quality audio. The HiFi setting is available in the TIDAL HiFi plan which is more expensive. Hope this helps.
Photo of DJ THE RIDDLER

DJ THE RIDDLER

• 68 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hello David
I see there was a new update for djay pro 2.1.1 to 2.1.2
But the update was for what I see no changes what so ever. Now when are there going to be a real update about. All streaming service BPM analyzing for djay pro 2 this is a important tool in digital djing when is this getting a fix
Us working DJs need this function
Photo of David

David, Official Rep

• 137 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
The best workaround right now for bpm/key display would be to use the analyze library feature with SoundCloud which was added in the latest update. We can only display the information that is accessible through the streaming service, but we will be sure to forward any feedback we receive from the community. 
Photo of DJ THE RIDDLER

DJ THE RIDDLER

• 68 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hello algoriddim djay
DJ. THE RIDDLER is leaving djay pro on April 13,20 he has discovered a new life a new civilization we’re there is a lot more of accuracy and more capacity of expansions for DJs with quality and stability and standards for DJs THE RIDDLER is a working DJ he’s is known globally and his music is his passion equipment is very important for all is work he send his special thanks to all the algoriddim staff that has supported him through the years and a big shout-out this Jennifer & lucas & David he says you guys keep up the great work it was a pleasure DJAY PRO
Thank you DJ. THE RIDDLER?
Photo of drummin base

drummin base

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
The Riddler from Houston?
Photo of DJ THE RIDDLER

DJ THE RIDDLER

• 68 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
THIS IS THE ORIGINAL FROM NYC BROOKLYN
THERE IS ONLY 1
Photo of Jianghu

Jianghu

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Just my 2 Cents... i was a Tidal user for some (i think 4 month) and i was so frustrated that they still have no FOLDERS for your playlists... its pretty sad. 
TIDAL would be an good enough alternative to spotify at least if they would have the ***** folder thing... 

Photo of David

David, Official Rep

• 137 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Good point. That said, the Spotify API didn't supported folders through 3rd party apps either, so hopefully folder support will be available in the future. Please keep your feedback coming. 
Photo of jessemcgoldrick

jessemcgoldrick

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Honestly switching from Spotify to Tidal is such a step down in user experience and functionality, the iOS Tidal app is a joke.
Photo of Levin Lo

Levin Lo

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi. does this means we will also lose the song-advicing function which is powered by Echo Nest?
Photo of David

David, Official Rep

• 137 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
djay's Match / recommendation engine has been fully extended to include the SoundCloud and TIDAL catalogue, so you will be able to continue receiving track suggestions in djay just like with Spotify. 
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Dear David, to my opinion this whole quit Spotify thing is simply not done!  Going forth and back in this log, first comment (& all in between) people simply feel mislead by ....Spotify or Algoriddim? And right they are. Apple app of the year? Even worse, as of today april 10th, 2020, people still are being mislead by both companies on their websites and stores.

Algoriddim depending on Spotify, so have tried to bark to the right tree. (see attachments) No matter how many alternative streaming services you suggest, Tidal, Soundcloud, Deezer, etc... in meantime DJ’s (people) made financial commitments to services and make djay work for them. (inclusive artist rights)

Do not think your customers happily flush their time and effort on libraries and playlists, to start all over again with limitations or missing API’s and SDK’s (or other functionality in djay) for jumping to a new streaming provider with a higher monthly fee.

Let's not make believe stories, basically it comes down to if we like to use a paid streaming service for music or video in djay, we need to quit Spotify and make our same time and efforts and financial investment again with the other provider for a higher price. Not taking in account our DJ’s time and effort spent, transferring playlists, facing missing basics like bpm getting it all back to work as sold and bought.

As a commercial director of Algoriddim, certainly would have tried to make a better deal for my DJ’s with Tidal, instead them to first show their credit card, in order to access a 3 months trial anyone can get.

Good luck with the transfer.

Photo of David

David, Official Rep

• 137 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Dear Rob, 
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate your detailed feedback and understand the importance of music libraries. This change is beyond our control and it affects all 3rd party DJ apps. However, we are committed to do the best we can to ensure this transition is as smooth as possible for djay users. The TIDAL Premium subscription is the same price as a Spotify Premium subscription, to my knowledge $9.99 depending on currency/country and it also includes video, only the HiFi subscription with the master recording quality setting is more expensive. Please let me know if that’s not what you are seeing. The standard TIDAL trial is 1 month, the 3 month trial offer is a special limited time offer available for djay users exclusively via our web site. To get a free trial all streaming services require you to provide a credit card (unless you sign up through their own apps on the App Store via your App Store account), so we have no way to change that unfortunately. As far as the technical integration is concerned, we’ve made numerous improvements under the hood with the new streaming options. For example with both TIDAL and SoundCloud you get full track caching in djay, meaning if the internet connection is down the currently playing track will continue playing without any interruptions. SoundCloud also contains an analyze library option. Again, we are committed to help as much as we can with this transition. I hope you can give the TIDAL or SoundCloud setup in djay a try and see if it works for you after all. Your feedback and loyalty is much appreciated.
Photo of DJ THE RIDDLER

DJ THE RIDDLER

• 68 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hello David
You keep talking about this analyze option that only works for iTunes only what you pitching does not work for tidal or SoundCloud there is no way to analyze Music from tidal I have been asking about this since day one algoriddim has done nothing
So David do mislead us DJs we know quality and we know what works and what doesn’t
Photo of David

David, Official Rep

• 137 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Analyze library is a feature available with SoundCloud in the latest version of djay on iOS/Mac. It's accessible as shown in the screenshot I've sent above and it requires the latest updates of the apps. You mentioned you didn't update due to some issues with your controller, in this case the option wouldn't be visible in your version. If you can share more infos about the controller issue to our support team directly (support@algoriddim.com), we'll take a look. Thanks! 
Photo of Levin Lo

Levin Lo

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I just tried song match with Tidal. It sucks.I can't get any recommendation from most song I put into it.
Photo of Tom D

Tom D

• 1 Post
  • 2 Reply Likes
Real shame, but I was always aware at the back of my mind this could happen. I’ve invested quite a lot in Djay over the years but if I’m honest, I’d been ignoring various flaws because of the Spotify integration (no adjustable resonance on the filter and weak EQ being my main ones) and actually using Spotify wasn’t helping me become a better DJ (lack of tagging/metadata/folders, limited selection) so I’m choosing to see this as a positive and the push I need to start rebuilding my digital and vinyl music collection and start using Traktor or Rekordbox.

Neither Soundcloud nor Tidal’s library compares to Spotify for underground music and I’m too invested in Spotify for listening to change service. I did try Beatport Link in Rekordbox but the the integration is a joke and I couldn’t find any music I liked. This situation also makes me aware of the risks of relying on streaming - there’s nothing to say Tidal or Soundcloud won’t be forced to change their licence terms or their deal with Algoriddim expire or they go bust, and you’ll be in this position again.

So long Djay, it’s been fun and I’ll miss mixing random tunes from Spotify on my iPad on the sofa or being able to play requests at parties, but hopefully I’ll become a better DJ for it!
(Edited)
Photo of JiPenade

JiPenade

• 87 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Hi

As also a beginner DJ, i really understand your point of view : i was putting lot of hopes to be able to use Djay on my iPad and access all Spotify songs. At first i bought a 128GB iPad Pro and it worked great. Then they (with Apple) added the ability to play local mp3 tracks so i bought a 512GB iPad Pro. After some month, I think local mp3 files are really fun to play on Djay and the iPad, the only drawback is that you must (also) pay for a record pool to get your tracks.

I was also thinking about quiting Djay on iPad and go to Rekordbox on the PC but apparently my PC is not powerful enough and i ran into bugs and disapointments... however i found the Beatport integration is great and i find most (if not all) my favourite genre tracks there (house / drum&bass). So I just wonder when Beatport will be integrated into Djay ? ;)

So for now i'll continue to use Djay on my iPad, and now i get my mp3s from DigitalDJpool.com (which also have an iPad app). 

For the future of Djay,  here are my requests :

1: add FULL database tracks management to Djay (as you also said it really lacks when you compare it to Rekordbox or other DJ softwares)
2 : make this database fully synced accross all devices (not just the cue points but ALL settings should be synced)
2: add Beatport integration to Djay ... but you can also keep Tidal :)

Regards
JiPenade

Photo of jessemcgoldrick

jessemcgoldrick

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I’m in exactly the same boat. Without Spotify Djay just isn’t good enough when compared to other software like Traktor etc so this has pushed me to switch back to download music and use proper pro dj software. Algoriddim have shown themselves to be completely unable to solve the most basic of issues needed by actual dj’s eg issues with eq/resonance, issues with sync etc, instead focusing their resources on gimmicks like the sample
loops etc. The Pro Mac app is currently even further behind the iOS app. If Algoriddim would only make the changes needed to bring the software up to standard I could maybe tolerate a switch to tidal despite it’s flaws but djay + tidal compared with traktor and downloaded files is just no comparison.
Photo of Dopplgngrr

Dopplgngrr

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Agree @DJ Ivan. My hobby DJ worklow is broken now. I am hoping for Djay providing full cloud meta data offering, including playlist and beat grid laying over my Dropbox offline mp3 library. Not sure if I can go back to iTunes-centric syncing - even after Apple/Algoriddim fixed it s a pain on 2-3 devices (and all personal music is on Spotify anyhow). My personal Djay subscription/upgrade price limit would be 10-20€/year - anything beyond would drive migration but don’t know where to yet. Will also not leave Spotify for Apple/SoundCloud etc because of deep personal lock in for everything non-DJ.
(Edited)
Photo of jessemcgoldrick

jessemcgoldrick

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
What Algoriddim REALLY need to do now is start actually fixing issues in both the mac and ios software and adding missing features, then they’ll be able to justify the subscription pricing model and loss of Spotify and convince users that Algoriddim are really committed to improving the software for the long haul. I don’t think they have any idea how many people only stuck with djay for Spotify integration.

Features / fixes I want to see (if any exist already tell me how!):

djay for mac:

- Proper beat skipping with support for 16 and 32 beat skips, accessible in UI as in ios.

djay for mac AND ios:

- Automatically jump to the first detected beat on a new track load if no cue point exists.

- A button to go back to track start or first detected beat (Cue Jump only works if there are no cues).

- A way to nudge the playhead on a paused track to the nearest beat marker.

- Pressing loop ‘OUT’ in the loop panel while playing currently does nothing if you haven’t first pressed ‘IN’ to set a loop start. Instead, if ‘IN’ hasn’t already been set, pressing ‘OUT’ should automatically jump backwards by the number of beats set in the Loop Creator and activate a loop of the specified duration. This functionality could also/alternatively be added as a modifier option when triggering the Loop Creator eg holding shift when triggering sets loop end point and jumps back instead of setting loop start point.

- Proper sync quantisation support with a choice of quantize level eg nearest 4 beats, 1 beat, 1/2 etc.

- Consistent sync behaviour! Triggering a cue while tracks are playing in sync causes the track to sync to the next beat. For example if you trigger a cue very slightly after the first beat in a bar, sync will jump forwards to sync with the second/next beat and your sync will now be offset by 1 beat. However, if you trigger a cue or play while a track is paused in sync, the track will correctly sync with the nearest beat, meaning if you trigger a cue very slightly after the first beat in a bar, sync will nudge backwards to stay in sync. In all circumstances sync should use the nearest beat instead of the next beat!

- Better sync and midi clock support with external hardware sequencers etc.

- General improvements to user interface and more visual/layout customisation options.

I’d switch to Tidal and stick with djay if these features/issues were being dealt with.
(Edited)
Photo of Lukas E

Lukas E, Official Rep

• 4191 Posts
  • 425 Reply Likes
Hi jessemcgoldrick,
We appreciate your honest feedback and always take djay user feedback seriously. Our team works hard to implement suggestions when it makes sense and when able to, and we are truly committed to continually improving djay. On that note, you’ve raised a lot of good points here in your post. So that we can handle these requests on a more individual basis, we’ve moved this post to another thread as this allows us to better track your feedback. Looking forward to further discussion and input there.

Please reference the new conversation here: djay features/ fixes I want to see
Photo of Kourkoumelakis

Kourkoumelakis

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi everyone!

Now that Spotify is over, i'd like to know, is there any chance that we can stream music from Tidal in Djay for android in a future update???

Thanks much!
Photo of MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake

• 25 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Tidal support is already available, you just need to have a paid subscription for the integration, like Spotify.

https://www.algoriddim.com/streaming-migration/tidal
(Edited)
Photo of Kourkoumelakis

Kourkoumelakis

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Well, I already have a subscription in Tidal.
But in Djay for Android, there is no Tidal. It has only Spotify! I'm using Djay for Android in my Samsung Galaxy S7 edge.
Photo of Mode7

Mode7

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
This is very tragic. I’m a long time Traktor user who recently switched over to Djay for the Spotify integration. Idk what I’m going to do about that, I’d bite the bullet and get a tidal subscription, but I have a Spotify family account, so I’d be paying $25/mo instead of 15 AND taking away my partner & kid’s accounts:/ As a Spotify artist, Spotify done goofed...

On the plus side, I LOVE Djay, so I’m willing to keep going with it if I can figure out what to do about my library...
Photo of Emily

Emily, Employee

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Thanks for your support of djay, and please know that unfortunately these changes are beyond our control. Since you did mention the family plan, please note that TIDAL also has a similar family plan available from $14.99 USD (Premium):

TIDAL Family Plan