Inconsistent BPM analysis across djay platforms, esp with Drum n Bass tracks

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
I am getting BPM analysis issues, it seems with drum and bass tracks in particular.

Djay on the Mac seems to be analysing some DnB tracks at 2/3 time, most of the tracks should be 80-85 BPM or 160-170 BPM... but I am getting some at 127 (if my maths is correct that is in the middle of the 2 BPMs they should be).
Also I am getting different analysis results across djay platforms... it seems only the Mac version is the problem child, whilst the i-device versions are fine.

Example:
Roni Size - Brown Paper Bag: djay Mac = 127 BPM / djay iPhone = 85 BPM
Track is taken from same iTunes library in both cases. 85 is the right result.

There needs to be some sort of reset / re-analyse feature on the BPM.
Why would different platforms of the app get different results?

It is very hard to mix a track analysed in 2/3rd time...
Photo of Jaba Wookie

Jaba Wookie

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Warren

Warren

• 3800 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hi,

Can you please send the track for testing? (-> support@algoriddim.com)
Photo of Paul Synnerg

Paul Synnerg

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I am also experiencing this issue. Except mine really started once I was using the ipad wiht iDJ Pro.
Photo of Paul Synnerg

Paul Synnerg

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I would really appreciate some help with this. I have a slew Drum and Bass tracks that are getting incorrectly analyzed and it is very frustrating.

Currently I use beaTunes, which analyzes and writes the metadata corectly. Now, even though DJay shows me the BPM of all the tracks I have already ran through beaTunes, it refuses to acknowledge it and rescans anyway....in most cases assigning between 109 - 130 BPM for what should be 85-89 BPM tracks.

Unfortunately, this really puts a damper on wanting to do gigs with the iDJ Pro - which by the way is awesome after the last firmware update.
Photo of Lien

Lien

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I think you will find that the correct BPM for Brown Paper Bag is 171. Most Drum n Bass tunes are around 175. I too am having this problem where it re-analyses a tune that the BPM has already been determined (it is possible to override this by using the TAP function) I think DJay could do a better job of keeping tracks in sync though.
I use this app live, and think its the way forward. I think it's the best thing available but it could still be improved. If this app could keep D & B mix synced then every other genre would be a doddle!
Available for beta testing
Photo of Carlos Alberto Espinal

Carlos Alberto Espinal

• 18 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Is there a way to re-analyse a track? I just purchased a track from itunes and sadly, the bpm analysis came horribly wrong. Is there any way to re-analyse the track to the right bpm?

I can set up the bpm manually using the tap function, but this is far from ideal as the tracks go out of sync easily.

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Faulty BPM analysis..
Photo of Stan Burov

Stan Burov

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
So i used RedBull software untill I've bought Numark Controller. I never had this problem before I start using dJay. So when i load tune with non-stable bmp (house tune with r'n'b breakdown f.e.) dJay don't recognize bpm correctly. We need you to improve better bpm detection algorithm.

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Wrong BMP detection!.
Photo of Christopher Woods

Christopher Woods

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Been waiting too long for this to be resolved and now Traktor DJ has just made DJay irrellevant (hence the massive discounting of DJay recently no doubt). DJay is now the best 'toy dj app' but the forbidden fruit has been tasted.
Photo of Brandon Plummer

Brandon Plummer

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yup this is basically my problem... Ill be trying to sync a few songs, and the BPM even with the auto-sync is STILL off... What gives?
Photo of Jimmy Strickland

Jimmy Strickland

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Real DJ's don't pay any attention to BPM or auto-sync!! It's called pitch riding people!! You obviously didn't start out DJing on turntables before moving toward the future with your set-up's..practice being a real DJ!!
Photo of Baller95

Baller95

• 118 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Dude what the hell?! If the analyzed BPM is wrong the loop and effect timings will be off too...
Photo of DelTacoGrande

DelTacoGrande

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ummm, yes I did, even had labels on the record sleeves with the BPM, remember that?
Photo of Brad Crawford

Brad Crawford

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
this guy has a point a Dj shouldn't need the bpm of a track to have them run smooth together but at the same time it is frustrating when you use the loop tool and it goes off time
Photo of Taisaiah Rios

Taisaiah Rios

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Common cut the amatures some slack!
Photo of Morris Bates

Morris Bates

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It's not just that, the loops and effects don't work properly as they're timed/locked to the wrong tempo.

Christopher Woods

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
What a pointless statement !

I've DJ'ed for over 20 years using everything from cassette tape, through vinyl, samplers and embracing what new technology has to offer. If this means to be a DJ is to live in the past then enjoy the memories. I find it fraustrating when technology/software promises something it sometimes doesn't deliver on and this thread is intended to give the software authors an opportunity to judge whether it's something worth working on. In my case I've found an alternative which for the moment does deliver and I can concentrate on re-arranging tracks on the fly rather than wasting half the tune getting beats matched. Great fun nudging and dragging a track around to keep it in sync sitting at home ... and by the way, pitch riding is a doddle on vinyl, not so much fun stabbing at a micro button on an ipad with a virtual pitch control though ! I just feel sorry for those that have invested heavily in hardware to go with this app. Apart from my rant, DJay is still fun but not a serious contender based on the non-response from developers
Photo of dj marko gold

dj marko gold

• 32 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Agree Christopher, I'm not crazy after 30+ years of night life, to carry around my turntables, for 150 gigs a year. It has to be light and portable, and i use all the tecnology i can get...
Photo of MrJotOER

MrJotOER

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have exactly the same problem! Tons of tunes have a wrong BPM assigned. It's going even further: Some tracks DO have a 'typical' DnB-BPM showed in djay (for ex 87) but the actual BPM are just a few higher or lower, so if I sync them, one of those tracks "runs" away...

This is really really disgusting! :(
Photo of Baller95

Baller95

• 118 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
It seems with every update the BPM analyses is getting worse. C'mon algoriddim lets do something about this!
Photo of DelTacoGrande

DelTacoGrande

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Also having this problem - frustrating!

"Call me a Spaceman" by Hardwell shows up as 97 BPM (should be 128)
Center of the Universe" by Axwell also shows up as 97 BPM (should be 129)

Is there a way yo fix this? It makes the track mixing harder to do.
Photo of Carlos Lima

Carlos Lima

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The same thing!!! Who we can change the BPM without using TAP key, please
Photo of David Lazo

David Lazo

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
anyone figure out how to re-analyze or manually fix this issue yet?? despret here!!
Photo of David Cruz

David Cruz

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
agreed. I don't mind tapping tempo to get a decent lock on it, but my 120's range are getting synced around a triplet feel...maybe around 150-170, and my dnb songs around 85-90 are getting auto sync'd to 120's. Please see if there's a better algorythm for getting the tempo locked down on iOS.
Photo of Noe Luciano

Noe Luciano

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
same same SAME.

OK I have all the same questions as above and then some. Are you all going to devote any time to this or if you ARE already, are you going to say something?

I wrote some golden feedback under the name 'Mo Freeapps' on your ipad app, Traktor's ipad app, and now I'm about to charge the flamethrower on the mac app of Djay but I don't think that you all really care because you sure got my $$ 3 times: Mac Djay, iPad Djay, now ipad Djay2. And I still can't get the beat to consistantly analyze. Check this: A typical (I am old - RAM, Bad Company, Total Science) DnB track has a minimum (typically) 32 bar intro so any beat analysis should begin at the first drop or maybe...AFTER THE BREAKDOWN? Slick new graphics, I see are showing us the less grooved part of the album so I gotta presume you realize that the middle of the track after the light part is the second drop. Boys and Girls, am I wrong? Can we get a response to any of this thread please?

Christopher Woods

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I've now given up on this software as may requirements are a bit more 'Pro' and require better support than is provided by Djay. I now use Traktor DJ with a Z1 controller. If tracks are proving difficult to get a proper beat sync with, I take them into Ableton and tidy up the timing there.

Forget about Djay, it's a toy (good fun) but with very poor support.
Photo of MDMAMGMT

MDMAMGMT

• 54 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Can someone please acknowledge that this is a problem, and a serious one that you are putting all your effort into fixing?

Like I said I love all the new features in the update called DJay 2, but if your foundation cracked then what's the point. Working with incorrectly analyzed tracks can not be a thing for Djay2
Photo of Warren

Warren

• 3800 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, we are aware that our Beat Analysis isn't perfect. In order to help us to further improve the analysis, please kindly send examples of incorrectly analyzed songs to support@algoriddim.com.
Photo of MDMAMGMT

MDMAMGMT

• 54 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Can't you compare the code between DJay 2 and DJay 1? Also is there any difference in a song being analyzed by loading it to the deck and the auto batch analysis of tracks?
Photo of Warren

Warren

• 3800 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
There is no difference whether you load or pre-anaylze the song.

The main difference is that djay 2 now always uses High Precision. We've tweaked the analysis from djay 1 to 2 but it seems that this doesn't work for certain songs. For this reason, it would be really helpful if we could gather a list of affected songs to test.
Photo of MDMAMGMT

MDMAMGMT

• 54 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Ah I see. I'll try to keep track of songs that seem incorrect, sometimes its hard to tell. What's the best way to get you guys these songs?

Edit: Wait, I used High Precision in DJay 1 and never encountered anything like this. Why would it suddenly start behaving like this? Is there any information you could give us about what actually happens when a track is analyzed so that it might help us all reach a solution?
Photo of ePiC

ePiC

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
pryda - powerdrive is being detected as 150+ bpms and its more like 126
Photo of ePiC

ePiC

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
update: Emailed you guys the track. Have a look!
Photo of ePiC

ePiC

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Upon further inspection on how tap actually works, it works great! Thanks for that. I didnt realize it meant "tap on beat" not just "tap to change tempo" :P Nice feature there guys.
Photo of Austin Downes

Austin Downes

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
it's happening on iphone djay for me too... Brookes Brothers Tears you down shows at 56 bpm.
Photo of Warren

Warren

• 3800 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
What's the correct BPM?
Photo of MDMAMGMT

MDMAMGMT

• 54 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Can you please shed some light on how BPM is analyzed so that we can all make educated guesses towards the cause of this app-ruining problem?
Photo of D Rey

D Rey

• 35 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hey dude how about you know that is probably somewhere in the 175 range and quit relying on the app to do the hard work for you and mix it by ear. what a crazy concept. lol. The sync button is not your friend with this app trust me.
Photo of sohlman

sohlman

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Is there a solution/update for this yet?

And why is most my D&B library analyzed at 1/2 BPM?
Photo of Warren

Warren

• 3800 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
There's an easy fix for half/double mistakes: click on the displayed BPM number and select "Double".
Photo of sohlman

sohlman

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
On iPad?
Photo of Warren

Warren

• 3800 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Yes, on all versions of djay.
Photo of Andy Dodd

Andy Dodd

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks, Warren. I think most of us are aware of that. But what about the other problems which you seem to be ignoring?
Photo of Warren

Warren

• 3800 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Sorry you feel that way. Just because I post a workaround for a specific problem does not mean that we're ignoring the rest. And as you can see, the other user was apparently not aware of the half/double workaround.

Our developers are looking for ways to further improve the beat analysis. Some users were kind enough to provide information about affected songs so we can add them to our test cases. Please feel free to do the same.
Photo of witchdoc64

witchdoc64

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm trying to figure out why DJay will not keep the bpm's. Everytime I open the app all my songs have to reload and refigure the bpm. I have an alesis io dock which does not support this app anymore since the update. So I bought the numark idj pro. Now it's back to all songs being treated as if they were never used by this app.
Photo of D Rey

D Rey

• 35 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Here is an idea folks.

Set up smart playlist within iTunes according to BPM. Find out what the BPM of the song is (which shouldn't be that hard. beatport does that for you) and put the BPM with in the meta data of the track in iTunes. If you set up a playlist for lets say anything between 125 and 130 you should be able to have no problem mixing two song together in a 5 bpm range. I actually set up playlist kind of according to the BPM of a certain genre. most DnB is 175 right? Well I cut that in half and set up playlist for anything from 85 to 92. Dubstep is 140. Electro house is usually 128 so on and so forth.

The only reason i mention this is because no the software is not perfect. But what did DJ's do back in the day when they didn't have fancy software to tell them what the key and BPM was? They beatmatched!!! \What a freakin concept!!!! Don't rely on the software to do all the hard work for you. If you are hitting that sync button then you are totally defeating the purpose of DJing.

its all about beat matching whether the software is off or not. I have had electro house songs show up as 127.7 when i know for a fact that the song is 128 so guess what. I leave the song alone and DO NOT change the BPM. low and behold it mixes in perfectly fine with another track that says 128 on the dot.

Your killing your ability to expand your mind and do this by ear by relying on the app to do all the hard work. The software just gets you close. You do the rest.
Photo of Ja'Maul Redmond

Ja'Maul Redmond

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No software BPM analysis is 100% correct,,, NONE. They all have their draw backs. I test them by inputting tracks I produce where I definitely know the BPM and sometimes its way off and other times it's close. This is the same with Traktor, so don't let someone tell you differently. I had a friend who was trying to auto sync a track with one of my tracks using traktor, he called me and thought I didn't quantatize because he couldn't auto sync my track with a 128 bpm track. I told him, that's because my track is at 135 and not 128. I'm not going to get into the whole auto syncing debate but you have to be able to do somethings by ear even if you use auto sync. For example, you should've known that 127 for Brown Paper Back is WAY off and that you would have to re-load the track or something.