midi learn on iPad

• Idea
  • Updated 1 month ago
There are a slew of controllers I wish were supported (faderfox in particular), midi learn for iPad would make that possible! Another approach if midi learn on ipad will never happen, would be to create midi mapping on OSX and transfer a config file over.

I do feel like support for more midi controllers is necessary, Numark iDJ Live doesn't even have 3 band eq!
Photo of starpause

starpause

• 48 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Michael Clarkson

Michael Clarkson

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hay simmo,

How did you get your XJD to work with the iPad?
Photo of Darren

Darren

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I just got my djPro working on my iPad Pro with my Pioneer DDJ-SR controller.
1. Copied the DDJ-SB mapping file found at http://maps.djtechtools.com
2. Opened the file in TextMate on my Mac. Changed the text "DDJ-SB" to "DDJ-SR" (only cosmetic, but wanted to make sure edited files would still work
3. Synched the file to djay Pro on my iPad using iTunes on the Mac
4. Plugged the controller into a powered USB hub
5. Plugged the USB Camera Connection Kit into the iPad's Lightning port
6. Connected the Camera Connection Kit to the powered hub
7. Turned on controller, launched djay Pro on the iPad
8. djay automagically recognized the controller
9. Start spinning!

Photo of Michael Clarkson

Michael Clarkson

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Did you use the midi file with its native file extension?
Photo of Darren

Darren

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes, I left the file extension as I found it.
Photo of Kristian Jacobi

Kristian Jacobi

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Awesome. This is exactly what I'm trying to do. Any problems so far? Is it still working? Do all the features work, if not, what doesn't work?
Photo of Adnene

Adnene

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
hi nice trick !! is still working ?
Photo of Jay El

Jay El

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Has anyone successfully mapped a Xone K2 for use with the iPad app?
Photo of Jay El

Jay El

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Finally got round to mapping my K2 to the iPad app. Works an absolute treat! I was using a Mixtour before but always had a few gripes with it. No longer an issue now I've got this working.

Setup:
iPad Mini 2
Xone K2
Apple iPad Camera adapter
Maplin powered USB hub

Photo of Michael A Clarkson

Michael A Clarkson

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
How did you get it to work?
Photo of Victor

Victor

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Does precueing work on the Xone:K2?
Photo of Jay El

Jay El

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yeah, works perfectly
Photo of Albert Gérard

Albert Gérard

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Just bought a K2, you literally rock!
Those headphone outputs working for ya?
The one on the ipad? how about the K2?
Photo of Jay El

Jay El

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Working fine! Tempted to set it up to work with my Xone23C/K1/K2 setup at some point
Photo of michael gazo

michael gazo

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
although i am new to this forum. i have a bit of experience. my dream is using xone:k2 w. my pro 9.7. i dont have a mac. the beta version of pro doesnt appear to have the midi learn feature. any advice or a point in the right direction as far as mapping, this would not only be appreciated by a human whose mental health would be occupied, will also receive riches seldom rewarded by the most endowed egyptian prince this side of dial up during summer in the fertile crescent soil. scored an immaculate mc6000 i am trying to get to work. its cool. i just want 4 unput faders, 3 band eq and to program latch layers.
Photo of Jay El

Jay El

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
You're welcome to my mapping, but it doesn't sound like you'd be happy with it. I have two volume faders, a cross fader and a cue/mix fader, and no latching layers. I made my map using the desktop app and its learn feature. I then transferred it to the iPad using the iTunes method described by a few people in this thread. Works perfectly. Mapping the LEDs was much more complicated though!
Photo of michael gazo

michael gazo

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
The desktop app for mac? A place to start would be very kind. Welcomed. Loved. Mutated. Just tell me how high to jump. Thank you for replying.
Photo of michael gazo

michael gazo

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Rephrase. Yes I would.
Photo of Jay El

Jay El

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
PM me your email and I'll send you what I have. The LEDs weren't bad actually, I'm misremembering. They were a nightmare with Mixvibes, not DJay Pro
Photo of Merc Mrc

Merc Mrc

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
wow! congrats on the K2 with the ipad!! are you using 2 decks or 4? and how is the output? I've heard some people say its a bit low?? thx for any info...
Photo of Jay El

Jay El

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
It would be just as easy to map 4 decks as it is to map 2. Midi learn on the desktop app is very straightforward.

Haven't tested the output on a big system yet, due to in May though with three gigs over two weekends. Seems fine on my home system, but not really pushed it as I like my neighbours!
Photo of Merc Mrc

Merc Mrc

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
grt- thx for that!! good luck in May with it!
Photo of Jay El

Jay El

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Here's my mapping. Fairly unconventional I suspect!

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?...
Photo of michael gazo

michael gazo

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
thanks for the link. i looked last night and just started today. i cant find how to dm a user. i cant find a faq or guide or even a topic where someone asked. im a tier3 noc technician. id always rather find the answer myself. wasting time because i am concerned about looking stupid is well, stupid. so pathetic...how do i dm? ill never live this down. thanks again. i am also happy a little request generated interest in this topic again. this forum is the end of the internet. desperate and depraved djs/audio heads. bottom of the barrel degenerates.
Photo of michael gazo

michael gazo

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
No bs. I had a stroke last week a. Ease. Lace eared ea tater
Photo of Philippe Perras

Philippe Perras

• 56 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Work great with Ddj-SB2 with procédure descripted on previous page! Thanks!
Photo of Adnene

Adnene

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi ! DDj SB2 work with Darren's trick ?
Thanks !
Photo of Victor

Victor

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Works great with faderfox dj44 to iPhone with djay pro. But vu meters and loop length display doesn't work. Big ups to djhombre for the mapping.
Photo of adiioan

adiioan

• 24 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Victor, which apple adapter you use ? It charge iphone ?
Regards
Photo of Jay El

Jay El

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
It looks like the apple camera USB adapter I use. It does charge the iPad/phone if you plug a charger into the lightning port
Photo of adiioan

adiioan

• 24 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks
Photo of Victor

Victor

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Ya sorry for the late reply. its the apple CCK connector. It has a lightning slot for charging as well.
Photo of jayneural

jayneural

• 124 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
If implemented, this feature will solve many many of the requests in these forums, you know... just map it !
Photo of Steve Francesco

Steve Francesco

• 76 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Or just tell people how easy it is to share the mappings via the official FAQ. Why all the cloak and dagger ?
Photo of Guy Stienaers

Guy Stienaers

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Solved my iPad mapping problem: downloaded DJ Pro for Windows in trial mode. Made a copy of the RMX2 mapping and edited this in Dj Pro to suit my needs.
Transferred the mapping file to my iPad via iTunes 'et voila': works as a charm.
Photo of Kaptajn Disko

Kaptajn Disko

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank you very much for the extensive guide!
I've got my Launchpad S and Pioneer DJM-250mkII working on my iPad with the Apple camera adapter kit 2016. However the audio output is on the iPad jack stick even though the mixer has an internal soundtrack and splits the channels perfectly with the mac. Does anyone have an idea of how I change the audio output settings? Cheers
Photo of jayneural

jayneural

• 124 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Pioneer mixers aren’t class compliant audio cards so no chance to see it working on an iOS device unless Pioneer itself creates an app that incorporates the audio card driver. If you want a class compliant audio mixer I suggest you either the Rane 57mkii or the the Mixars Duo. And de if any day Algoriddim adds external mixer routing you won’t even needn’t a mapping as it will just route audio on each channel and let you use analog EQs/filters.

See here my feature request for external audio routing mode :
https://c.getsatisfaction.com/algorid...

You can vote for it if you’re interested.
(Edited)
Photo of Kaptajn Disko

Kaptajn Disko

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank you very much for the fast response and the recommendations! My work around will be 2 jack sticks from the mono splitter.
Photo of Seby Palumbo

Seby Palumbo

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
DJPro for iPad work with Hercules MK4?
Photo of BigEco

BigEco

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
If helpful to somebody, I got my Djay Pro working on my iPad Pro with my Numark Mixtrack Pro 3.
Mapping file is available here: https://maps.djtechtools.com/mappings...

And I used the procedure described by Darren a few posts above to upload file to the iPad, Thanks Darren!.
Photo of Kristian Jacobi

Kristian Jacobi

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Now if only there was an iPad app for Resolume!
Photo of Steve Francesco

Steve Francesco

• 76 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Resolume or anything else even.

The raw power is there at this point in time which benchmarks on the iPhone faster than an i5 MacBook (which is perfectly capable of putting on a stunning visual show)- it really seems like a missed opportunity for someone.

Visual Clip selection and library thumbnail browsing is one of the areas where a touchscreen really interface shines and actually creates a solution for the user rather than just the "convenience" of a portable device which essentially is just acting only as a portable and powerful all-in-one PC in most cases (Djay included).
Photo of Jonathan Micheal Luna

Jonathan Micheal Luna

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Check OSCvid or you can use it in conjunction with TouchOSC
Photo of Kristian Jacobi

Kristian Jacobi

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have found a solution for djay pro and DDJ-SR with an iPad Pro 10.5. It works perfectly with full functionality. I am running the latest iOS 11.0.3, macOS 10.13, iTunes 12.7 and Pioneer firmware is up to date.

Here's my experience.

1. I plugged the DDJ-SR into my iMac.
2. Opened djay pro and selected "Configure Pioneer DDJ-SR" from the the MIDI Menu.
3. In the dropdown I selected 'options/duplicate' and djay pro added "Edit" to the duplicate name.
4 Selected the "Edit" copy and the share sheet icon lit up and I selected to open it in the finder.
5. In the finder I copied "Pioneer DDJ-SR Edit" and pasted it on my desktop.
6. I renamed the desktop copy to "Pioneer DDJ-SR".
7. In iTunes I selected my iPad Pro and from the tree on the left selected "File Sharing".
8. Selected "djay pro" from the apps list and added the file "Pioneer DDJ-SR" from my desktop. You can either drag it onto the files section or scroll down and select "add".
9. Synced up, reconnected to "Apple USB 3.0 Camera kit" and Voila! Full functionality

Note: I originally bought a generic lightning to USB/lightning cable from Amazon for $15. It was a mistake. The only recommended solution is to buy an Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Kit adapter. ($39.99). You will also need a Powered USB hub. I picked up a powered USB3 hub at Best Buy for (29.99).

Good luck! I can imagine this process works with most controllers. Give it a try and leave a comment on your results!
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hey Kristian, would you be able to assist me configuring my Pioneer S9 mixer and CDJ 900 with DJAY Pro? I was previously using pulselocker with Serato but they are no longer integrated as of Nov 10th. Can you kindly help me out? With the following?
1. Mapping
2. I have CDJ 800 and CDJ 900 however 800's are not supported by DJay pro. Can you help me configure one CDJ 900 to work with DJay pro. I would appreciate it. You can also email me at gqhustle2@gmail.com.
Thank you.
Photo of Jamus Wood

Jamus Wood

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello Everyone I am looking for some help.

I am wanting to remap my Reloop mixtour. But it not working out for me. I have remapped on my mac in djay Pro. That bit works fine, but getting it to work on the iPad is proving no go keeps reverting back native mappin.

I have gone through the process of deleting the mapping file in the djay Pro ipa file. But know it does not work with the new file shared app.

Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Jamus
Photo of TheRumbler

TheRumbler

• 29 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Funny: I just picked up a Mixtour over the weekend, and was thinking about doing the same (remapping a few controls). It sounds like the default internal mapping is overriding your custom map. What do you name the mapping file Pretty sure the name shouldn't matter, as I have .djayMidiMapping files for other controllers with all sorts of strange names ("controller-four-deck-mapping.djayMidiMapping" for example) and they all work perfectly on my iPad. I'll have a play with my Mixtour mapping later tonight and let you know.
Photo of TheRumbler

TheRumbler

• 29 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I do, though have an incomplete .djayMidiMapping article up on my site, but this doesn't answer your issue. https://irumble.com/djaymidimapping
Photo of Steve Francesco

Steve Francesco

• 76 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
If you have the old version of iTunes theres a chance that You can get it working.

The newest version of iTunes does not download or sync apps anymore whatsoever.

It was mentioned by Apple that you'd need to download apps directly from the app store on the device itself or sync via iTunes backup (for up to 5 devices).

Unfortunatly this means you cannot Modify the .ipa files anymore prior to syncing to your pad/phone and the backup files cannot be modified either so using supported controllers actually cripples them somewhat.
Photo of Jamus Wood

Jamus Wood

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi I am running iTunes 12.6.2
Photo of Jamus Wood

Jamus Wood

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
If you have success getting the remapped mixtour to work would be interested in your work flow. As I am skilled at mapping in Traktor but Djay mapping is a whole other conversation. Thanks.
Photo of Jamus Wood

Jamus Wood

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thinking of rolling back my iTunes, so I can use the mapping I want with the mixtour.
Photo of Steve Francesco

Steve Francesco

• 76 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I didn't realize apple released a Standalone updated version of iTunes for the very purpose of loading apps like this just 2 weeks ago. Thats the version you'll need - make sure you backup and export the playlists somewhere prior to downgrading as the newer iTunes library will not load.

Mac version:
https://secure-appldnld.apple.com/itu...

Windows 64 bit:

Windows 32 bit:
Photo of Steve Francesco

Steve Francesco

• 76 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
FYI - Unfortunately my downloaded apps disappeared as did document sharing from iTunes when I downgraded to 12.6.3.

It appears Im able to side-load custom apps with 12.6.3, but could not download new ones via app store or edit any old downloaded ones.
Photo of Jamus Wood

Jamus Wood

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have gone back to 12.6.2. Which works ok just no joy with the ipa file.
Photo of TheRumbler

TheRumbler

• 29 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
what are you talking about modifying .ipa files? Can't you just load the.djayMidiMapping file into iTunes like Darren's instructions? https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net...
Photo of Steve Francesco

Steve Francesco

• 76 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
You can only do that if you DON'T have a supported controller.

Ironically its the supported ones that require more drama as the maps are already hard coded into the app.
Photo of TheRumbler

TheRumbler

• 29 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Ohhhh. of course! the default internal mapping overrides the custom .djayMidiMapping file. Ugh! (My bad!)
Photo of rvision

rvision

• 37 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I've bought Reloop Mixtour and I would like to change few mappings: for example, there is no support for pitch slider - I would like to map this to SHIFT + volume fader because I don't need fader start.

When can we expect this feature added for djay 2 for iOS?
Photo of Jonathan Micheal Luna

Jonathan Micheal Luna

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Your best bet it’s to customize it in the desktop version then export the mapping to your iPad using iTunes sync
Photo of rvision

rvision

• 37 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I think this is impossible for the default supported controllers
Photo of Steve Francesco

Steve Francesco

• 76 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I doubt there will be any movement from Algoriddim on this matter, and certainly not for Djay 2 at all. Maybe Djay Pro 2 if we were extremely lucky but somehow I don't think that will happen either.

It was possible to extract the app package files on the old version of iTunes, delete the built in mappings and repackage.But since iTunes 11, its sadly become impossible since the app downloads are loaded on the iOS devices and not iTunes anymore (if you have an old version of iTunes it will possibly work).

What would be nice is if Algoriddim gave us an option of a "blank canvas" version of Djay that we could then simply load maps for any device (including supported ones) as required rather than the ones built in.

However that might open the issue of corporate agreements and I fear their reasoning into not currently supporting all controllers (or even admitting they can be used) on iOS is down to license agreements and what they are "allowed" to support or comment on. If you can load any mapping for any device, it negates the need of the (naive) consumer to only look at specific (sponsored) controllers for iOS use.

Basically - I would not hold my breath for any support with your mapping problems from them, and if you really want to map things as you desire you should perhaps look at an unsupported controller + powered hub instead as you will have more luck (and probably faster feedback from the community) should you run into problems.
Photo of jayneural

jayneural

• 122 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Steve that doesn’t make sense. They’re currently allowing to use unofficially supported devices through iTunes transfer. Why wouldn’t they allow us to customize the mapping for the ones which are actually supported ?
Photo of Steve Francesco

Steve Francesco

• 76 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
The reasons I don't see them allowing midi mapping or supporting it anytime soon.

First: (and also reasonably sure this is the reason you cant remap supported devices): I'm pretty sure you cannot modify the default App files in iOS due to sandboxing.

Second: They've never endorsed this method of mapping non-supported controllers - it works, but it was a forum user that found that it works (how I dont know).

Third: It opens up major support issues if people map things stupidly, they would need to deal with the fallout when sh1t goes wrong - that costs money.

Forth: Reloop or whoever else is creating supported devices would get less sales if its well publicized that third party controllers work just fine with an external hub folk would jump off the bandwagon.

Fifth: We're back at second, major support issues if third party devices have USB issues with a hub for example, they would need to start supporting that user base.

Most of their current userbase who use an iPad do so as little more than a Toy, a cheap way to start DJ'ing. Those folks will buy a reloop controller because it works out-of-the-box and have no concept or requirement to map it any more than it already is by default.

If they do need that, they buy the desktop version and a laptop.

Their desktop version (which is awesome BTW) is a program i have never yet seen a "pro" DJ use however, despite it being IMHO far more Capable in many ways than Virtual DJ for example its still got the stigma as a "toy" by many.

Folk on this thread I fear are in the minority when it comes to the main user base of the Djay app.

So far ....... crickets on a 6 year old thread with the second highest vote count and second highest number of replies.

It would be nice if a representative from Algoriddim would chime in every so often with an update / downdate on it. Without that, speculation is all we have left.
Photo of rvision

rvision

• 37 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
>It was possible to extract the app package files on the old version of iTunes, delete the built in mappings and repackage.But since iTunes 11, its sadly become impossible since the app downloads are loaded on the iOS devices and not iTunes anymore (if you have an old version of iTunes it will possibly work).

OK, here is what I did, but no luck :(

1) Get iMazing (https://imazing.com/), iTunes alternative
2) Download your purchased .ipa file of djay, instructions here: https://imazing.com/guides/how-to-man...
3) Replace .djayMidiMapping file with your modified version (same filename, obviously)
4) Open iTunes, click on iPad/iPhone, drag the .ipa to iTunes and it will start immediately to upload app to iPad

If you do this with original .ipa, everything works as expected
If you do this with modified .ipa, iOS alerts that app is not purchased

So I believe there is some checksum or some other signature that prevents iOS from installing it... :(
Photo of rvision

rvision

• 37 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
@Steve

>It was possible to extract the app package files on the old version of iTunes, delete the built in mappings and repackage.But since iTunes 11, its sadly become impossible since the app downloads are loaded on the iOS devices and not iTunes anymore (if you have an old version of iTunes it will possibly work).

Have you ever tried this? Do you know which older version of iTunes? I can download old version and install on office pc and try this
Photo of [deleted user]

[deleted user]

• 67 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Agreed, Steve. If anytime is looking to DJ with iOS on any USB Class compliant controller, djay / djay 2 / djay Pro will not be the best app for you. Look elsewhere...another pro-level app allows user-based mapping to midi devices and is rock solid, with some pre-baked mapping’s in place, but nothing stopping you amending them (in-app) to best fit your needs. The reason this works is that the app developer has no tie-in with hardware manufacturers. So their app name never appears on official documentation, press release or branding & they get no money as a result of pairing exclusivity.

It is a great shame Algoriddim won’t open this up, but I doubt they lose much custom as a result of not doing so.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Francesco

Steve Francesco

• 76 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Actaully I disagree somewhat with a blanket statement like that.

If anyone is looking to use Djay and map a supported controller - 100% agree look elsewhere - not worth the grief

However If you have an unsupported controller and Djay, getting it to work is really trivial and the mappings for oodles of controllers are all available online. Custom mapping is really a much nicer experience on the desktop anyhow that doing it in-app on the other DJ app (which I did run into issues with).

If its the app I believe you are referring to, it is for sure packed to the brim with features and I even bought it (twice!). However its severely lacking in other areas e.g. transpose is pretty bad and IMHO the interface (for the umteeth time) looks like it was developed by a developer, not a designer e.g. the music browser is absolutely horrible and its simply not very cpu friendly on an older device where Djay pro runs like butter even on a Gen 1 iPad mini.

It really boils down to the tools for the job and the guy using them. For me, I prefer a decent GUI, unsupported controller and a bit of tinkering.
Photo of jayneural

jayneural

• 123 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I think I know the app you’re talking about and totally agree with the comments on it, I’d add I hardly understand the subscription pricing model it offers, which I believe doesn’t make sense for the typically occasional use case of a DJing app on an iOS device.

Now if we turn back to Djay, I still don’t get how the ability of customizing the mapping of an already supported controller is putting in question the business model. Serato which is the king of these kind of business models is itself allowing to remap the buttons of supported controllers. Doesn’t it ?
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Francesco

Steve Francesco

• 76 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
But Serato has some real competition doesn't it ;)
Photo of Steve Francesco

Steve Francesco

• 76 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
YESSSSSSSSSS!

Only took 6 years
Photo of Lukas E

Lukas E, Official Rep

• 4023 Posts
  • 388 Reply Likes
Hi,

We are happy to have released midi learn for djay for iOS with our latest release of djay for iOS.

Thank you all for sharing your feedback.

Cheers
Lukas E.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.