Using external USB sound card for pre-cueing - Windows Djay Pro

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • (Edited)
Hi,

I'm quite new to both DJing and Algoriddim's software, but I've set myself up with a Numark Mixtrack 3 and Djay Pro for Windows 10. I realised that I needed an external sound card for cuing so bought myself a USB sound card which works fine on its own. My issue is that I can't seem to figure out how to set up Djay pro (Windows) to use it for pre-cueing tracks through my headphones. I seem to only be able to set it as my main output instead of my speakers - if that makes sense?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Photo of Sami Ham'

Sami Ham'

• 15 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • confused

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Tony Storer-Hamm

Tony Storer-Hamm

• 40 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I have to obtain a fully fledge controller so I can pre cue properly which is a shame as the app is a work of art but will put a lot of people off until this is fixed. Traktor is good and serato is industry standard but until djay pro can sort pre cue out it will always come third or even 4th
Photo of AJ

AJ

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hey hey
So I brought DJay Pro for windows to work with the X Casio Xw-J1 (approved hardware on your website.)

So your website says it should be able to pre cue

"Preview and prepare the next song through headphones: By enabling djay Pro’s Split Output mode or by using an external audio interface you can cue songs through headphones independently from the mix that goes through the main speakers for live DJing."

I was a moron and didnt do my research first ... I wish I had of found this post first.

Do we have an eta when this will be update to be working?
Photo of Lukas E

Lukas E, Official Rep

• 4048 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
Please note that this thread is about external USB sound cards, not midi controllers.
The Casio Xw-J1 is natively supported, please make sure you are using the Creators update, please see:
http://help.algoriddim.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2782372-pre-cueing-does-not-work-with-my-midi...
Photo of Keith Hobday

Keith Hobday

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
after install do what?
Photo of Keith Hobday

Keith Hobday

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Found a solution: http://gsfn.us/t/51r2f
Photo of Matt

Matt

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
If I had known about this issue before purchasing then I probably wouldn't have dropped £37 on Djay for Windows. I have used a friend's copy on OS X and had absolutely no problem with selecting different output devices for cueing and main mix, so it's frustrating to see such a crucial element missing from the Windows version.

I contacted customer support yesterday and received a reply stating that the issue is being worked on, but I won't hold my breath given that it has been around since the April release and we're now three months on.

The good news is that I have found a cheap solution that does work. The official compatibility list is quite limited, so I took a punt and bought a dirt cheap multi-channel USB sound card from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...

There are plenty of these around under different names, they all look the same but this one was the cheapest. No drivers required on Windows 10. The only thing you do need after plugging it in is to right click the volume control icon in the taskbar, select playback devices, highlight "USB Sound Device", hit configure, and then set everything up for 3.1 surround. On starting Djay, it will recognise the sound card as 4 channel and output main mix through the front out jack, with cue mix through the rear out jack. Hopefully this can help a few others until we get a proper fix.
Photo of Sami Ham'

Sami Ham'

• 15 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I bought the multi-channel sound card you linked and it doesn't work. I've plugged it in (Windows 10), set settings to use it as my only sound output (disabled all others), and can't seem to get any sound output except through 'front out', which like all other attempts, outputs both pre-queue and speakers. Can you explain your setup?
Photo of Matt

Matt

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Are you sure that you followed my instructions to the letter? It's very important that you go into the Windows playback devices properties dialog and set the sound card to 3.1 audio, otherwise Djay will only see it as a 2 channel device and pre-cue will not be available.
Photo of Matt

Matt

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
P.S. Make sure that you don't have "Split cue" selected in Djay - you should only use that setting when you want to split a single stereo output into mono main mix and mono cue channels using a 3.5mm splitter cable. Don't worry that the cue buttons aren't visible at first without "Split cue" selected - they should automatically become available once you set your sound card to 3.1 surround and Djay detects that there are 4 channels available.
Photo of Sami Ham'

Sami Ham'

• 15 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Sir, you are a genius! Thank you so much! Why isn't Algoriddim providing this assistance?!
Photo of particle.wave

particle.wave

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
This is super frustrating. When I read the docs it seemed like this should all work fine but it refuses to see more than one output on my Traktor Audio 2. Why even release the windows version if it cant do something as basic and fundamental as this? At this point I might need a refund and to then see about repurchasing when you have an actually usable product. So glad you spent time on things like an FX Pack Store while neglecting something so fundamental and providing misleading docs. As far as I can tell it won't even let me use my USB audio for playback and the laptop's built-in headphone jack for pre-cueueing.
Photo of Kevin Bas

Kevin Bas

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I also would like to get a refund for the same reasons... Lukas E is this possible?
Photo of Gontie

Gontie

• 120 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
IT is because the audio DJ 2 or 4 are shown as two separate soundcards... but i am surprised to see that Djay pro has not fixed that issue....
Photo of Lee Divine

Lee Divine

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We really need to be able to cue using a headphones output on the pc/laptop whilst outputting a high quailty stereo output through an external DAC
Photo of Samuel Hollis

Samuel Hollis

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Voicemeeter Banana is what you want
Photo of Andreas

Andreas

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Does it Play from Spotify ?
Photo of Lee Divine

Lee Divine

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Sam - I have a Windows 10 pc with a really nice external USB DAC. I want to use DJay Pro with this as the main output, but I just want to be able to cue via the regular PC headphone socket (that's not too much to ask is it??) I'm not using an external mixer. Is this possible?

I'm not sure if Lucas's advice was for instances where there was an external mixer - whichever way, there was no screenshot - I couldn't get it to work (no matter how much I fiddled) and so I gave up. (sad face)

I must admit that I too purchased DJay Pro kinda in the belief that I would be able to cue a track (he said... trying not to get too angry...)

Oh - and not sure who Andeas was asking, but Spotify is my main source (via DJay Pro)

Cheers
Photo of Samuel Hollis

Samuel Hollis

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Keep in mind if you want real help in forums, you have to know what to be specific about. A "nice external USB DAC" is not very helpful in the context you used it. All this to say... what is the name of the DAC?
Photo of Lee Divine

Lee Divine

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Apologies Samuel - it's an Audiolab Q-Dac (I'm sure there's a lot better out there but it was cheap on eBay) and the headphone output is the integrated PC motherboard offering. OS is Windows 10 (now with the latest 'fall update' or whatever). Latest DJay Pro - and streaming mostly from Spotify.

Does that help? Lee
Photo of Lee Divine

Lee Divine

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm trying Lucas's suggestion (for now)

It's just this bit I don't understand as I can't see a screenshot

"Open the VB-Audio Asio Bridge and click ASIO Device (marked red in the following screenshot)."

I've got the VB-Audio ASIO Bridge set up but don't know how it should be configured. Any clues?
Photo of Lee Divine

Lee Divine

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I gave up on this... not sure if it only applied to external mixers...

FYI - my son has a Numark Mixtrack Pro which allows you to cue DJay Pro with headphones fine (Windows 10)
Photo of Gustavo Ruiz

Gustavo Ruiz

• 15 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Thats because it already has his own audio device built-in. What is your setup? As for today you need an USB device with at least 4 outputs to properly cue the next track :)
Photo of Richard Pearce

Richard Pearce

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Finally got my Xone K2 mixer working with ASIO bridge.
Make sure the input ASIO channels are set up as 2 2 1 1, then in Djay use internal mixer and select the split cue option.
Photo of zark

zark

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I find it disappointing that this issue is still not implemented in the windows version 6 months later!

On the Mac version I used to be able to pre queue using a USB headset (has it's own sound card) and use the internal speakers.

The way I have had to do it on my windows laptop is to use external speakers with a splitter cable and plug a standard set of headphones into the splitter. Then set the following options Audio Device Headphone Jack, Exclusive mode ticked and split channel.
(Edited)
Photo of Lee Divine

Lee Divine

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I can't believe that they actually suggest using this splitter thing.... Am I right in thinking that this sends a mono signal to my beautiful sound system?

Didn't we leave mono behind back in the 60's?
Photo of alxvallejo

alxvallejo

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Refunds for everyone until this gets resolved. Fuck this.
Photo of Gustavo Ruiz

Gustavo Ruiz

• 15 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I've just found today (bought djayPRO 2 days ago thinking that multiple audio devices were included) that you can do stereo monitoring and PA output at the same time if your soundcard (I mean USB audio device) has 4 outputs (Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 are one of them I have one of those and it works great)

I agree with you, it is unthinkable to do a proper setup without having the ability to cue the next track, in fact you can but its not the same, you can easily mixed up thing because you must mix SEEING the waveform rather than hearing the beggining of the next song.

Anyway, you are right... the split thing is about using the LEFT channel with a mono mix of your currently played song and the RIGHT it is used for monitoring providing you have the right cable to do it.

I hope they can fix this, not knowing how to do that shows a lack of kowledge on the Windows department as somebody said the OSX version works flawlessly.

I reapeat, this is not hard to do since every other DJ program has this feature but they said they couldn't done it yet, so...

My advice, the program is amazing. Visually attractive, with efx if you want to annoy people with that and if you have a multiple I/O card the cue system works incredibly well.

My setup:

HW: ASUS i5 notebook, Numark DJ2GO (tiny but powerfull) and Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 but I believe any audio USB interfase with more than two outputs can properly do main audio + cue (Scarlett 2i4 will do that too)

SW: djayPro + ASIO BRIDGE + Spotify Premium account and some minimum talent to mix related songs :)

I know the USB audio device costs about $200 but it is clean crisp audio and delivers powerful monitoring in the headphones, If djayPRO could do this using the built in audio card on the notebook and any other cheap USB audio device then you could do anything for nothing... but for now this is what it is :)

Seems that no other app is actually supporting Spotify, and for me thats a must. However some people prefer to mix from mp3 stored on HDs whic is perfectly fine, Im still thinking about what would happen if I lost internet access in the middle of the thing hehehe

I wish djay could cache all the Spotify tracks I want. perhaps it can and I dont know! Anyway, this is a happy day for me! Some people that will be going to the party are already making his playlist and sharing that to me so we can agree what music we'll be hearing too... this is great and a better alternative that huge lists written on paper hehehe :)
Photo of alxvallejo

alxvallejo

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Oh great, i just wasted $35 of DJ software that doesn't queue. LOL. WTF is wrong here.
Photo of Felipe

Felipe

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Any news on this topic?
This thread first started 6 months ago! This issue should have been fixed already.
I'm just glad I tested the demo version before buying the full software.
Please fix this as soon as possible and I'll buy it right away!
Photo of Keith Hobday

Keith Hobday

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am using a Vestax Spin 2 made specifically for this software. Please advise why no sound out from headphone after pressing the earphone button?
Photo of Keith Hobday

Keith Hobday

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Using Win 10
Photo of Keith Hobday

Keith Hobday

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Originally, headphone button on the Vestax Spin 2 do not work. But after configuring to split channel. it works. BUT it is not coming out through the Headphone port, it is coming out through the Main Channel Output. Please advise.
Photo of Keith Hobday

Keith Hobday

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Photo of David Berclaz

David Berclaz

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
+1, when is it going to be solved?
Photo of Kevin Bas

Kevin Bas

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Still no news???
Photo of Gustavo Ruiz

Gustavo Ruiz

• 15 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
No news untill now unless you have a USB device with 4 outputs, then it works perfectly well.
Photo of Dee

Dee

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Gustavo any idea if this will work ? Its reduced to £59 Zoom U-24 USB Audio Interfac. Cheers
Photo of Gustavo Ruiz

Gustavo Ruiz

• 15 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
It is advertised as 4 output channels, it says that herehttps://www.zoom.co.jp/products/produ... and also you can SEE both stereo outputs.

It also say "Multi-channel and stereo USB audio interface for PC/Mac/iPhone/iPad" looks to me that you can use main stereo output 1 to play music and output 2 for pre cueing (it also has a headphone plug according to the pictures)

In the manual specifically says that is it made for dj providing enough volume to do proper monitoring

Designed with the DJ in Mind
The features 2 RCA outputs that make it easy to connect to DJ mixers or other devices. The balance between computer playback signals 1-2 and 3-4 can be adjusted for the LINE OUT 2 and PHONES outputs.
For example, you can balance the PHONES output between click and MAIN OUT signals during a live performance. Or you can balance between the cue and MAIN OUT signals during a DJ performance.
Plus, the PHONES jack delivers enough volume output for use in clubs and other small venues.

Didn't found how you see that under windows, I assume that it is under one device but I don't know. Seems a perfect candidate, it also has a feature that let's you mix with a knob how much of the main signal you want on the monitored cue :)
Photo of Dee

Dee

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the advice Gustavo
Photo of Andreas

Andreas

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
ZOOM U-24 Works!

After reading this post last week, i ordered a ZOOM U-24 from Amazon

https://www.amazon.de/ZOOM-U-24-Handy...
for EUR 89,70

After getting it today, i had to download the latest firmware und driver for windows 10 from https://www.zoom-na.com/products/prod...

Firmware installed.
Latest driver installed.

In Windows AudioPlayback Device Settings: I made Audio Interface "line zoom U-24 Audio" to be the default output, and there, in the properties of the device, i had to switch to mode "4 Chanel, 24 Bit, 44100 hz"

Now in DJay Pro App Audio Device Setting, i did: Line (Zoom U-24 Audio), NOT Exclusive Mode, Mixer Mode: Internal, NOT Split Output.

Now it Plays as suspected:
Line A as Stereo Main Ouput,
Line B (or directly connected Headphone) as DJay's Stereo pre Cueing Output.

Hope this would help.
Photo of Vittorio Paragallo

Vittorio Paragallo

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
i just bought, i didn't expect i couldn't precue.
Any news about fixing precue?
developpers let us know if it is going to be solved.
Photo of Jörg Loch

Jörg Loch

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I ́m running DJay 2 in demo mode. But without solving this problem, I wouldn ́t pay for this software.
When do you fix this problem?
Photo of Samuel Hollis

Samuel Hollis

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have gotten it to work with a Denon MC2000 and Casio xw-dj1 with everything functioning as expected. It might be because of updates but the software works for me on Windows 10 Version
1709, OS Build 16299.371
Photo of Terry Jackson

Terry Jackson

• 34 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
did this ever get resolved? did any one get a refund?