Bloated djay Media Library size

Device model: Mac Mini M2 Pro 32GB Memory
Version of operating system: macOS Sonoma (14.6.1)
Version of djay: 5.2.2
Hardware/controllers used: n/a

Summary of the issue: I only have 469 (all local files) tracks in My Collection. However, the “djay Media Library.djayMediaLibrary” file has grown in size to over 2GB. This is making it difficult to load the software on my Mac Mini and cumbersome when transferring all relevant information to my Macbook for portability. I know the library size is way out of wack because when I start from scratch with the same 469 songs (again, all local files) and add them to My Collection and reanalyze each song, the size of the resulting “djay Media Library.djayMediaLibrary” file is less than 100MB.

How to reproduce the issue: I have no idea how to reproduce this issue.

Hi @Culte_du_Soleil, sorry that you’re experiencing this issue. I have shared this with our engineering team to see if they have any suggestions. I’ll report back when I have news. Thanks!

I had the same issue a few days ago. I noticed that when browsing a playlist and selecting some random song, suddendly the artwork for the song would flicker frantically and the Media Library size would increase at a crazy pace (it would grow by 1MB every few seconds, going from 150MB to several GB after an hour or more.
It’s as if the artwork file would be copied in the Media Library 20 times per seconds, inflating the Media Library file.
The workaround I found was removing the artwork from the song within Apple Music App, and restarting DJay from an old Media Library backup (losing all the recent changes made in my Media Library in the process).
It happened with a few songs, always the same songs, but I keep bumping on new problematic songs every now and then.
Super annoying since I keep losing the history of my played sessions and all the changes made in the Media Library (new cue points, playlist changes in My Collection, …

I hope this bug will be fixed soon.
I have been a fan of Djay MacOS App for 7-8 years, but this issue combined with the other lag bug I am suffering from (the one where you need to turn off wifi to fix the lag), make me really worried about the reliability of DJay App for the first time…

Urgent Help needed! Major lag in djay - Bug Reports - Algoriddim Community Forums

@Markouchio – thank you so much for sharing the information. I also have noticed certain Album Art flickering, although I don’t use Apple Music anymore to synchronize music and playlists due to the number of errors encountered when doing so. That being said, even without using Apple Music, I still notice some Album Art flickering from time to time. I will perform some testing and get back to you later this evening or tomorrow. Again, thank you so very much for the information. This is not something I would’ve ever had the insight to look into – cheers to you!

Thanks for the additional info @Markouchio and @Culte_du_Soleil. I have passed this onto our engineering team.

Hi @Culte_du_Soleil, can you please upload it to your djay Media Library to Google Drive/Dropbox, enable sharing permissions, then share a link to the file here or send it to me in a DM? Our engineering team would like to have a closer look at this. Thanks!

Hi @Slak_Jaw , please see Google Drive link below. Should be publicly available. Thank you!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bxgd38tKQFPsD80ZdfwXHEd0KUSTe8ax?usp=sharing

Excellent. Thanks for the link @Culte_du_Soleil. I’ll let you know when I hear back from engineering.

1 Like

Hi @Culte_du_Soleil,

This looks like a Cloudkit issue. You have a very large queue of pending changes waiting to be uploaded to cloudkit, so it seems gnat djay has been unable to sync for a long time. Could you please send a screenshot of the Cloudkit sync state in Settings->Adanced tab. Also could you check how much iCloud storage space they have available in System Settings → Apple ID → iCloud? Thanks!

Hi @Slak_Jaw , thanks for the follow-up. I’d rather not use Cloudkit sync at all and I don’t know that it’s providing any benefit in terms of my workflow. Regardless, here’s what everything looks like as of now:

Thanks for the screenshots @Culte_du_Soleil

Hi again @Culte_du_Soleil, please leave djay running for 10+ mins and see if the syncing status changes from Initialising to Active. Thanks!

Confirmed @Slak_Jaw – I will do exactly that.

@Slak_Jaw – ok, i’ve left it running since my last post about 4 hours ago. The sync status has not changed from “Initializing…”. Truth be told, there have been nights where I’ve left djay running all night and the sync status has never changed to “Active”

Thanks for the follow up @Culte_du_Soleil

Dear Algoriddim team,
Can you provide an update on progress made on this issue?
I have a couple of gigs planned soon, and I really need to create new playlists to prepare for these events. I cannot constantly restore older versions of the Media library before it gets bloated and lose everytime all the latest changes made to the library.

@Markouchio & @Slak_Jaw – I second @Markouchio 's comment. This is a rather pressing issue and all but makes the software very difficult to use. For my part, I have disabled the Cloudkit sync feature within Mac OS for several days and whatever pending changes that were identified in my media library database (those waiting to be sync’d to iCloud) have had no impact concerning the bloated size. Thank you!

I’m afraid my app caught the same disease. Djay Media Library went from 553mb to 4.5gb. Today I launched and it grew to 4.8gb.

The only two things that I think could cause this issue are the original issue described by @Markouchio or something involving Apple Music (I had added all my tracks to Apple Music but have since stopped using it because there were too many issues, it was about that time that I noticed that my library size grew exponentially). As a result of @Markouchio 's description of his original issue, I removed the album art from all my files, but that did not solve the issue. I have tried several other workarounds, all to no avail.

Hi @Markouchio and @DjDeeG, can you please upload it to your djay Media Library to Google Drive/Dropbox, enable sharing permissions , then share a link to the file here or send it to me in a DM? Our engineering team would like to have a closer look at this. Thanks!