Improved snap to grid while using Jog Seek MIDI mapping.

• Device model: MacBook pro M1
  • Version of operating system: 14.4.1
  • Version of djay: 5.1.5
  • Hardware/controllers used: Generic midi, midi fighter twister

Good day,

While using track seek it would be nice to have quantatisation options. The smallest step is a beat, which is nice, but it just steps relative to the current position.

It would be nice to have at least two snap options, beat and measure. If it is not possible to have several options, I would prefer the snap to measure.

Cheers, Bart.

Thanks for the suggestion @Brainbox. I have forwarded this to the dev team for consideration.

Hi @Brainbox, the dev team would like some more clarification on your suggestion:

1. By “Track Seek” you mean the “Jog Seek” MIDI command, or “Skip Forward/Backward” MIDI command or perhaps something else?
  2. Can you be more specific about the “track seek” behavior you’d like to see?
    a. For example, instead of jumping relative to the current position snapping to the next beat or bar.
    b. Would this behave differently when the track is paused and when the track is playing?
    c. Do you have an example from another music app to help illustrate this? Thanks!

Some background thoughts on my request.

I was referring to the jog seek, but I think it would equally benefit other seek options, I guess.
Normally, you would do a jog scratch after a course positioning to exactly adjust the position, so in these cases any snap to grid would be less needed. But as I’m getting more experienced, it is possible to recognise song structure, especially of favourite artists, and hence if the seek could snap to the bar/measure or beat you could skip the scratching. Or just be quicker if you do. It would mostly benefit ad-hoc or on-request tracks that don’t have any prepared Cue points.

I would like the position to snap after the seek, e.g. if you start to seek in between beats, after it, it snaps. I think it should snap only at the end so that you could still seek fast by turning fast (Jog seek).

I got inspired by a demo video of the Traktor X1 MK3, where they demo a kind of loop seek, that seems to snap. But I’m not sure it really does, the video is not that clear.

Cheers, Bart.

Great! Thanks for the clarifications @Brainbox