Inconsistent BPM analysis across djay platforms, esp with Drum n Bass tracks

Hi Bill, have you tried the new “Set Grid” in djay 2.6? It should re-analyze your song when the beat grid was completely off.

Have you tried tapping the BPM at 143 and then reanalyzing?

OK, we’ll look into this song. Just curious, are you sure that the song really has exactly 143.0 BPM?

Alright, thanks!

Thanks for your feedback. What exactly do you mean by “BPM offset”?

I am also experiencing this issue. Except mine really started once I was using the ipad wiht iDJ Pro.

I would really appreciate some help with this. I have a slew Drum and Bass tracks that are getting incorrectly analyzed and it is very frustrating.

Currently I use beaTunes, which analyzes and writes the metadata corectly. Now, even though DJay shows me the BPM of all the tracks I have already ran through beaTunes, it refuses to acknowledge it and rescans anyway…in most cases assigning between 109 - 130 BPM for what should be 85-89 BPM tracks.

Unfortunately, this really puts a damper on wanting to do gigs with the iDJ Pro - which by the way is awesome after the last firmware update.

Dude what the hell?! If the analyzed BPM is wrong the loop and effect timings will be off too…

It seems with every update the BPM analyses is getting worse. C’mon algoriddim lets do something about this!

It’s not just that, the loops and effects don’t work properly as they’re timed/locked to the wrong tempo.

Blind Faith Loadstar remix, Chase’n’Status

I think you will find that the correct BPM for Brown Paper Bag is 171. Most Drum n Bass tunes are around 175. I too am having this problem where it re-analyses a tune that the BPM has already been determined (it is possible to override this by using the TAP function) I think DJay could do a better job of keeping tracks in sync though.
I use this app live, and think its the way forward. I think it’s the best thing available but it could still be improved. If this app could keep D & B mix synced then every other genre would be a doddle!
Available for beta testing

Real DJ’s don’t pay any attention to BPM or auto-sync!! It’s called pitch riding people!! You obviously didn’t start out DJing on turntables before moving toward the future with your set-up’s…practice being a real DJ!!

Here is an idea folks.

Set up smart playlist within iTunes according to BPM. Find out what the BPM of the song is (which shouldn’t be that hard. beatport does that for you) and put the BPM with in the meta data of the track in iTunes. If you set up a playlist for lets say anything between 125 and 130 you should be able to have no problem mixing two song together in a 5 bpm range. I actually set up playlist kind of according to the BPM of a certain genre. most DnB is 175 right? Well I cut that in half and set up playlist for anything from 85 to 92. Dubstep is 140. Electro house is usually 128 so on and so forth.

The only reason i mention this is because no the software is not perfect. But what did DJ’s do back in the day when they didn’t have fancy software to tell them what the key and BPM was? They beatmatched!!! \What a freakin concept!!! Don’t rely on the software to do all the hard work for you. If you are hitting that sync button then you are totally defeating the purpose of DJing.

its all about beat matching whether the software is off or not. I have had electro house songs show up as 127.7 when i know for a fact that the song is 128 so guess what. I leave the song alone and DO NOT change the BPM. low and behold it mixes in perfectly fine with another track that says 128 on the dot.

Your killing your ability to expand your mind and do this by ear by relying on the app to do all the hard work. The software just gets you close. You do the rest.

Hey dude how about you know that is probably somewhere in the 175 range and quit relying on the app to do the hard work for you and mix it by ear. what a crazy concept. lol. The sync button is not your friend with this app trust me.

I have an iDJ pro as well and I have had happened what you described once. I think it was after an update though. I don’t know if you have seen the option to pre analyze the songs. I do that every time I sync to songs to my iPad. And only once has it had to analyze my entire library like none of them had every played. If i were you I would try this. Are you running iDjay 1 or 2?

Pretty sure that’s only djay 2. Download that one man it’s way better.

Another thought I had was if you have djay on your phone and your iPad, turn on the cloud sync data on both. That will keep cue points and everything up to date on both devices as well. Just a thought.

Alright Bill I have to ask. Why are you relying on the software so much instead of mixing by ear? What advantage does having it be exactly 143 have over 142.9. I constantly mix with inaccurate bpm and it turns out just fine. What’s the issue. I don’t get it.

Thanks, Warren. I think most of us are aware of that. But what about the other problems which you seem to be ignoring?