Pioneer Flx4, MacBooks & the Alternatives

MacBook Air M3 15inch 8 gb
Sonoma 14.6.1
Djay 5.2.3
Reloop buddy

Hi, after having so much trouble connecting to the Reloop buddy with an IPad 3rd gen 12.9 and IPhone 15 (following all the advice, trying 3 different cables) I thought I’d upgrade everything, starting with the MacBook Air M3 15 inch. I thought I was banking on pairing it with the pioneer flx4 but I’ve just seen on their website it only works with iPad or android. Is this true? I can’t map, but would appreciate some alternatives in that price bracket. Thanks guys.

Hi @djqueenvic, the FLX4 is compatible with djay on macOS, iOS, Windows, Windows ARM and Android (see link below). However, some users have been experiencing connectivity issues with iOS with the latest FLX4 firmware from Pioneer.

Hi @Slak_Jaw I saw that. However, on the “learn more” link to pioneer it says the flx4 only works with the ios version.

Hi @djqueenvic, the Pioneer DJ website is out of date. I can confirm that the FLX4 works on djay for macOS. We will contact them to update that page. Thanks for letting us know!

1 Like

As always, thank you so much @Slak_Jaw I actually don’t know how you do it!

1 Like

You’re welcome @djqueenvic. Happy to help!

As long as the problems with the Flx4 have not been resolved, I would advise against buying this controller, at least a current model. There are still no problems with used devices that are a little older, as long as the firmware has not been updated. This is similar to the situation with the DDJ-400, where Pioneer also made changes at some point that prevented or restricted its use with DJay Pro - even though the controller was considered the controller for DJay Pro many years earlier.
If it can also be a model outside the Pioneer universe, I think the Hercules Inpulse 500 is a good alternative that you can at least take a look at.

1 Like

Thanks for this @Chris_R I was actually comparing it with the Hercules 500. I’ve had so much trouble of late with connections etc, it’s putting me off coming out of the bedroom… I assume it’s already mapped? @Slak_Jaw

Hi @djqueenvic, please refer to the linked hardware compatibility list. Just remember to select your OS at the top of the list.

1 Like