Sync mode ‘BPM Only’ locks synced tracks together

When syncing the same song, it used to take both to the same spot in the record. Sync seems to no longer do that either.

@Richie_P1, that is correct. Some users wanted the ability when playing the same track on 2 decks to have them running at different spots in the song instead of fully locked Instant Doubles. So now this is possible.

Thanks, Slak. Thanks for that. Is there a way to use it the old way too? That was useful for my style.
Im so confused with the new system.

@Richie_P1

1. If you want the second track to behave as an Instant Double, please long press on the Album Cover/Song Load next to the overview waveform and select Double from the drop down menu.
  2. This will load a double of the track that is already in the opposite deck.
  3. Also, make sure the first track is already playing before you perform the Double action.

Thank you! You’re the best. Much appreciated.

You’re welcome @Richie_P1

I just wanted to bump this topic, because when playing today, it annoyed me so much again today.

To reiterate, you can not slow down a track by pressing the side of the platter anymore without affecting the other track (like we could in 4.x)
You can not get the phase right by riding the pitch, without affecting the other track. Also something you could freely do in 4.x

And as icing on the cake, when shutting of the motor of record B, it drags the playing track A down in speed. Also something that was no issue in 4.x

Using sync in 4.x was great, all things described above were working fine.
I do not want to have to re-invent a whole new way of playing just to work around these issues that were non existent in 4.x

Sorry to be so annoyed, but this is taking the fun away for me. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Hi @Kikeon,

1. Can you please confirm that you have the Cross Fader FX turned OFF?
    a. When CFX is turned ON it will do a BPM + Beat sync regardless of the system sync settings.
  2. Can you also try to capture a video of the issue, upload it to Dropbox or Google Drive and share a link to it here? As we have been unable to reproduce the issue this will really help to communicate it to the engineering team. Thanks!

Thanks for your reply.

Good to know about the cfx. I think it’s off, but I will triple check tonight.

I will try and make a couple of video’s but here are the steps to reproduce:

• I use DVS and an external mixer
  • Sync Type activated in the settings is ‘BPM Only’
  1. Play a track in deck A
  2. Next load a track in deck B, while sync is on (bpm/tempo will be synced)

3a. Slow down or speed up the track on deck B, by lightly pressing/touching or side of the platter (to get the phase right)
deck A will be affected

3b. Slowing down or speeding up the track by using the pitch (to get the phase right, aka pitch riding) of deck B will slow/speed up deck A

3c. Turning of the motor of deck B will slow down the speed of deck A as well

I think this is all due to the changes in beatgrid and sync in Djay 5. In Djay 4 all things described were no problem.
I think the solution would be an option in the sync settings to just sync the BPM while loading of the track, and not keep the syncing locked (as was standard in Djay 4).

Thanks for the additional information @Kikeon

Just a bump, so the ticket won’t get closed automatically.

In it’s current state bpm sync is unusable in combination with DVS.

I’ve been manually beatmatching, even though I know how to beatmatch I noticed BPM sync made my sets a lot tighter. So I would like the old sync behaviour back.

Hello everyone,

djay Pro 5.0.4 was just released. Sync behaviour has been improved. Please test and confirm that this has addressed your issues. Thanks.

2 Likes

This update did not fix my issue with BPM sync while using sync type ‘BPM Only’, however I found a workaround.

By reading this topic and comments by @Mister_Tuur and @Slak_Jaw again I started looking into the other Sync type: ‘BPM and beats’.
Basically this syncs both BPM and the phase of the track.
However, this sync mode has a feature ‘Turn off on pause, scratch, or cue jump’.

While cueing the tracks i’m usually moving the platter/record, this dis-engages sync pretty much right off the bat, but keeping the speed the same (sync mode ‘BPM only’ resets the speed when disengaging sync).

Using this mode I can scratch, slow down, speed up, manipulate all I want without affecting the other track. This is exactly the behaviour I want actually.

I used to use ‘BPM Only’ because I only wanted to sync the BPM, I did not want to sync the phase of the track. This is why I did not look into the ‘BPM and Beats’ mode in detail before.

I still think it’s a bit backwards that ‘BPM Only’ locks both tracks together, and ‘BPM and beats’ features an option to get out of this behaviour.
But for me using the ‘BPM and beats’ mode in combination with the ‘Turn off on pause, scratch, or cue jump’ solves the issue.

1 Like

It still does not work properly for me on MacOS, version 5.0.4 on Ventura. Using BPM and Beat sync, having “turn off on pause” activated and crossfader fx disabled, the deck BPMs are still locked together when doing slight adjustments. Sync only disables when you apply very significant changes, which, of course, throws out the beatmatch so much that it really makes sync moot to begin with. Also, sometimes, when sync disables itself, BPM jumps back to the value that you’re left with when DJay realizes that you’re scratching/bending. For example, you match the decks to 120bpm with sync, brake a little, realize sync doesn’t disengage yet, brake a little more to 118 bpm or so, and when sync finally disengages, you’re stuck with 118 bpm on the deck you have slowed down and 120 on the other deck. I have to say this is very annoying. I have even tried if using a louder cartridge than my Ortofon Concorde Pros changes anything, but even my backup M44G doesn’t change things. Neither does using a quieter cart, such as the GrooveTool, so timecode volume/level doesn’t seem to have a part in this.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.