Unable to connect iPad to Pioneer FLX4

ISSUE:

• I cannot connect my iPad to my Pioneer FLX4 controller with USB-c Cable.
  • I CAN connect my iPad with my FLX4 using Bluetooth - but there’s no sound from the controller’s audio out

DETAILS:

• When I connect my iPad to my FLX4, the FLX4 does not recognize the iPad

• My iPad plays music as if there is no controller plugged in

• My FLX4 is powered by it’s own power cord, plugged into a live power source

• The lights of the controller are ON

• I am using a standard APPLE USB cable, to connect the FLX4 to the iPad

• I tried using different USB cables. Issue was not resolved

• In DJay Pro - [Settings > Audio Devices > main Output] only shows “Speaker”. No other option

HARDWARE:
iPad Pro (12.9in) (2nd Generation)
Pioneer Flex4

SOFTWARE:
DJay Pro - Version 5.2.2
iOS for iPad 17.6.1

Hi @Bryan_Hawk, thanks for the details about your setup.

1. Please make sure your USB-C cable between the iPad and the FLX4 is connected to the right USB socket on the back. One is for power only and one is for data.
  2. Please also make sure you’re running the latest firmware from Pioneer: https://www.pioneerdj.com/en/product/controller/ddj-flx4/black/support/

On the one hand: If you connect the controller to the iPad via Bluetooth, the sound is generally not output by the controller, this is not a fault.
Secondly: As already mentioned, you should ensure that you are using the correct connections on the controller. You have already tried other USB cables, the problem could also be with the adapter. So you should also try a different one. If none of this works, a technical problem with the controller or the iPad cannot be ruled out. In any case, you should also test whether other USB devices work properly on the iPad.

Another user here has the same problem. Let’s see if and how the problem can be solved.

• iPad Mini 4th Gen
  • iOS 15.8.2
  • djay version 5.2.2
  • Pioneer DDJ-FLX4

After a few weeks of playing around with djay on iPad I’ve taken the plunge and invested in a controller, but I’m having trouble setting it up. I started as follows:

1. Used black USB-C > USB-C cable supplied to connect to power
  2. Connected controller to iPad using an Apple USB-C > Lightning cable
  3. Connection was established as iPad was receiving power via the controller. However the controller wasn’t functioning - I could only operate djay via iPad screen, not the controller buttons. No audio coming from headphones connected to controller, only the iPad speaker
  4. I disconnected the cable connecting the iPad and controller and connected via Bluetooth instead
  5. This worked - I was now able to operate djay via the controller
  6. However the sound was still only coming from the iPad speaker, not the headphones plugged into the controller
  7. The Bluetooth connection has now dropped. On djay, when I go to settings > MIDI devices > Bluetooth MIDI devices, the DDJ-FLX4 is listed. However it says ‘not connected’ on the right and when I click to connect, it attempts to do so but after a few seconds returns to ‘not connected’ status

So where might I be going wrong here? At present there are three issues:

1. Unable to connect use controller on iPad when connected via cables
  2. Bluetooth connection between controller and iPad no longer working
  3. Even when successfully connected via Bluetooth, audio only coming from iPad speaker, not controller headphones

My preference would be to connect via cables as I’ve read on this forum that Bluetooth connections can lead to latency. All suggestions gratefully received!

UPDATE
I’ve now connected with my iPhone via cable and that works well - but again there’s no audio through the headphones connected to the controller so I’ve used my Airpods connected to the phone. The wired headphones definitely work - I’ve tested them on a different device. So either there’s a problem with the output socket or (more likely) a setting somewhere which I’ve got wrong?

If you want to use the output of the controller, you can’t do it without a cable, only the midi commands for controlling the software run via BT, the sound then always comes from the iPhone or iPad.

This all sounds a bit like the same problem that was described here earlier today. And thinking about it, I have an idea, but it won’t make anyone happy: Maybe Pioneer has changed something internally in the firmware or even the hardware of the controller so that it no longer works with Djay Pro the way it used to, at least not without adjustments. This was also the case with the DDJ 400 some time ago. Older models still work very well, newer models no longer do.

Unfortunately, if this is the case here, it cannot be changed by the user. Perhaps it makes sense for Algoriddim to get in touch with Pioneer to rule out or solve the problem.

Thanks for your reply. As mentioned in my update at the bottom of my original post, I now have it working when using a cable, with sound via my Airpods on iPhone or iPad.

However I’m still getting nothing from the headphone output socket on the controller, though there is now a hiss which gets louder as the volume on the controller is increased.

Nevertheless, this is not the way it should be, as the controller or sound card is still not recognized on the iPad.
Two posts in one day with the same problem independently of each other lead me to believe that there is a fundamental problem with the interaction of hardware and software.
But of course I could be wrong. In any case, I am curious to see if and how the problem can be solved.

1 Like

Hi @Quick_Slow. I’ve merged your topic with this one as your issue sounds very similar to this one. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @Quick_Slow and @Bryan_Hawk, Please close djay, disconnect all cables and adapters from your iPad, and follow the procedure below to perform a Forced Restart of your iOS device: Force restart iPad - Apple Support (CA)

Thanks @Slak_Jaw - I’ll try that when I’m home later

1 Like

You’re welcome @Quick_Slow

Thank you for all your help. I will try that.

Before trying the steps you just suggested, I made sure the firmware is now current. The firmware is now 1.05
(see attached image at the bottom)

These are the steps I have now taken:

1. Disconnected all the cables from the iPad and controller
  2. Made sure the iPad is fully charged
  3. Quit ALL running APPs on the iPad, then restarted the iPad
  4. Connecte d the iPad to the FLX4 Controller (in the correct input)
  5. Launched the latest version of DJayPro
  6. Then powered on the iPad / then powered on the FLX4

The issue is not resolved. The FLX4 is still not recognizing the iPad or controlling anything in DJayPro.
The “In and Out” buttons in the upper left corner of each Deck is blinking. (But that’s always happened. )

~Bryan

Thanks for the additional info @Bryan_Hawk. I will pass this onto engineering to see if they can replicate the issue.

1 Like

Hello @Bryan_Hawk and @Quick_Slow, I spoke with engineering and they believe this is not software related and could be an issue on the Pioneer side of things. Can you both please contact Pioneer Support directly to see if this is a known issue and if they have any suggestions? Thanks!

I also found this in the FLX4 Manual

Thanks @Slak_Jaw for this additional info. An update from me:

External speakers and headphones work via laptop but not with either iOS device. I suspect this means you’re right and this is a Pioneer issue. I’ll take it up with them and report back! Thanks for your help.

You’re welcome @Quick_Slow. Thanks for the update. Please report back what you hear from Pioneer. Thanks!

Hi @Bryan_Hawk and @Quick_Slow, our engineering team is also suggesting that you install the MIDI Scope iOS app to see if the iPad recognizes the FLX4 correctly.

Hi I confirm There is a problem With the flx4 and firmware 1.05 and midi signal on iOS.
It doesn’t send midi out anymore. With midiscope it doesn’t see the flx4. I’ve test With another device (numark go2) and I can see it in midiscope.
When i connect djay pro With numark go2 it recognize it immediately. I disconnect the numark go2 and Connect the flx4. It’s not been recognize. The midi led on flx4 is still flashing.
It’s not Working since i’ve updated the flx4 firmware.
Any issue to get back flx4 working Again With djay pro ?
Thanks