How to Create Smart Playlists with Multiple Criteria

Hi there :
i’m trying to find the command “&” for smart playlists … Let’s imagine i want to do a folder with “House” as Genre + “funky” as Comment , is there a way ?

Thanks in advance :
Mauri Moore

Macbook Pro 16" (M2 pro) + controllers (x1 , S2 mk3 , Mixon 8 pro , Pioneer Xdj XZ ,and some more )

Hi @Mauri_Moore, I’m not sure how this is done on macOS, but it’s pretty straight forward on iOS. A “+” sign shows up automatically after you set the first smart playlist criteria. I suspect there is something very similar on macOS.

I want to do a Smart PL with Orange & Red songs , but is not possible … Let’s say Orange are Deep House & Red are Funky House … why not to combine to colours ?

Thanks in advance !

@Mauri_Moore simply add the Red criteria first then hit the + sign and add the Orange criteria.

This is what i’m doing but is not working .
If i add orange it works , if i add blue it works but not together
The same happens when i try to add 2 Genres .

If I do the same in another dj software it works OK , i can do a smart PL with some songs red and some in orange , also I can do it with 2 Genres , Not possible in Djay pro

@Mauri_Moore please make sure both criteria are turned ON with the orange background like shown in my previous screenshot, not like the one below.

Both are ON , if i Turn OFF one criteria it works , but not 2 at the same time .

In your test I see nothing , i mean the PL is empty

I think a command like “and” or “+” is needed

For example : Genre is “Hip Hop” + Genre “is Not” Mixtape

Colour is RED + Colour is ORANGE

Thanks for the additional information @Mauri_Moore.

I don’t use color coding in my library so the playlist will be empty regardless of what I turn ON. Okay, I see what you mean now.

I’ll need to confirm with the engineering team, but it appears what is happening, is that djay is only showing tracks that contain both Groovy and Mixtape in each track. Not tracks that contain Groovy and not Mixtape plus tracks that contain Mixtape, but not Groovy.

BUT : also happens when you try to do a PL with 2 genres as you can see :

Yes, I believe this is expected behaviour. With that criteria, djay is looking for tracks that contain BOTH of the colors. Not tracks that contain one AND/OR the other.

I can understand the use case you are after. I’ll need to consult the engineering team to see if this is possible or if it can be implemented.

Thanks so much Slak_Jaw .
I’m really excited about Djay pro , I switched after 20 years , working as pro dj 300 days a year .

Here is another example : Colour Is BLUE + GROUP is #MIX

Thanks for the addition example. So it seems it’s not just an issue when using the same criteria for both rules like GENRE or COLOR, but when using 2 criteria period.

What is you music source for these songs? Streaming, on device, external drive, etc.?

1 Like

“Yes, I believe this is expected behaviour. With that criteria, djay is looking for tracks that contain BOTH of the colors. Not tracks that contain one AND/OR the other.”

Is not possible to have 1 song with 2 colours .

Does it work as expected if you create one rule for Genre and a second rule for Key?

The music is in my hardrive , from dj Pools like Zipdj .

1 Like

“Does it work as expected if you create one rule for Genre and a second rule for Key?”

Good question : it’s working perfect

1 Like

Hi @Mauri_Moore, I believe this should solve your issue.

1. If you want a Smart Playlist that contains Genre 1 OR Genre 2, you need to select both of the Genres within a Single Rule.
  2. If you want a Smart Playlist that contains BOTH Genre 1 AND Genre 2, then you need to create separate Genre Rules for each one.
1 Like

ohh man ! this helps a lot , thanks … I will test
Really excited with the software .
Thanks for help !

1 Like