How to use and import into 'My Collection' & General Best Practice For Library Keeping.

NOTE: Please use the search function above before posting to avoid creating duplicate topics.

• Device model: 2019 MacBook Pro i9
  • Version of operating system: Ventura 13.6
  • Version of djay: 5.1.3
  • Hardware/controllers used: Mixon 4

I’ve tried google, YouTube, and searched this forum with no luck.

I’m a longterm user of this program and would consider myself to be a confident / competent user, I’ve been gigging with it multiple times a week for several years.

To date, I have always imported my music into the ‘Music (iTunes)’ app and then used the appropriate tab in Djay. This works ok but it definitely has plenty of flaws.

I would like to start using the Library functions within Djay, specifically things like smart playlists. However I have no idea how to import or manage the music in ‘My Collection’. There are some tracks in there but not all.

In my ‘Music’ app I have 12,631 tracks - in ‘My Collection’ I have only 1493.

However, I can honestly say I have no idea what the best practice for accessing and managing your own music within Djay Pro. There doesn’t seem to be a good comprehensive guide as to how to best do this or how to use the ‘My Collection’ feature - which compared to the super detailed guides available for Serato and Record Box is unfortunate.

I’d like to get access to all of my music with ‘My Collection’ and to be able to fully utilise the tools available. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

1 Like
  1. To add Tracks/Playlists - drag & drop them into ‘My Collection’

2. Personally, I put all my tracks in ONE folder

• I drag those tracks into Apple Music
  • BUT turn off settings to “organize” or “copy” files in the Apple Music library.

Screenshot 2024-03-19 at 6.04.00 PM

• I also have a link in ‘My Files’ to the folder - so I can edit metadata.
    Screenshot 2024-03-19 at 6.52.25 PM
1 Like

Thanks for sharing your workflow @Michael_Wisniewski. I follow a similar process where I drag and drop all of my iTunes/Music local music into a single main playlist in My Collection. Then from here, I use My Collection to create smart playlists and playlists that contain multiple sources like local music, Beatport streaming music, SoundCloud, etc. When I add new local music to iTunes/Music, I simply drag and drop the new stuff to the single playlist above.

1 Like