2 Band EQ option for Reloop Buddy

The Reloop Buddy is a very nice small controller from Reloop, and I think they did a fantastic job with something so portable.

One issue, though, is the lack of a 2 band EQ option in Djay Pro. Right now we have the Hi and Low EQ knobs mapped to the respective EQ functions, but because there isn’t a 2-band EQ option, the Mid will always be neutral, which stays flat all the time and can’t be killed.

It doesn’t make sense when you consider this is an official supported controller.

That’s a big point I don’t like about the buddy. I don’t think it’s a lag of djay it’s more a miss construction of the buddy. I wish they had implemented the 3 band eq on the buddy😤. I don’t own one of because of this. But there might be a way around for you. You could try it and report if you like this option or if it is a big downside for you.

You could map the gain knob of the body to the high, the high knob to the mid frequency
:thinking::woozy_face::wink:

1 Like

Hi Sascha — I can deal just fine with 2-band EQs, it doesn’t limit me. It’s only an issue when you want to do kills.

The issue is that the software needs to support it, so instead of having Hi-Mid-Low mappable controls (as it is right now), you could have an option to Hi+MidHi-Low+MidLow.

It’s kinda like in Traktor where you can choose 3 or 4 band EQs.

(In Djay’s case it’s easier since it’s only about hiding the Mid sliders throughout the UI — Implementing 4-band would be a bit more work.)

About your suggestion: yes, we can remap things, but there are two caveats:

• Midi mapping in iOS requires the Pro subscription (I’m using this as a secondary, bar/party controller, I have a Roland 707m for professional use but it won’t work with iOS)

• There’s no gain/trim knob (!), but you have a Filter one. I much rather have 2-band + Filter than a regular 3-band EQ with no filter, as the controller was designed for, but then we had this issue.

This was mentioned by Phil Morse’s review in Digital DJ Tips:
Screenshot 2021-02-14 at 16.37.18

Unfortunately mine was already shipped when this review came out, and I won’t be a prick to the reseller and have it returned.

There’s also another related issue which, to me, it’s a bit non-sense too: EQ resets when switching to Neural mode - #4 by dwardo

1 Like

Other than that a “funtastic” controller, super tight and well done, and smashes many other options in the same range. Reloop did some excellent design choices here, they’ve learned a lot from the Mixon 4 and this controller shows. A possible sequel to Mixon 4 looks super promising.

3 Likes

An upgrade to the Mixon 4 with an Aux-in input and native controllers for Neural Mix would be a great move by Reloop - I bet they would sell loads.

2 Likes

You’re right, to save the problem I just map the “High” knob to control the “Mid” eq and on the preferences “Mixer panel” choose Isolator instead of Classic… in this way you can kill almost all the frequencies left just a tiny HiHat sound udibile (that you can kill turning the Filter knob a bit on the right)… I think this workaround could be a good compromise for a tiny controller.

2 Likes

I think everything would be easier if more functions could be mapped to one MIDI command. The same is true for FX parameter control where you control FX1 parameters on two sides at the same time.

If anyone is interested, l re mapped the Buddy to allow for 3 band Eq which utilisers the Filter knob for the low and shift and filer activates the filter effect…

I finally solved the 3-band EQ by duplicating the CC 23 commands where I set the mid and high ranges with the high knob. I modified the rottary loop knobs (CC 33) where by combining shift + loop rotary knob I set the Skip (rotary) function to move the loop. Then shift + Cue (Note-F1) to Jump to beginning song. Shift + pushing loop rotary knoob (Note A # 1) on Reloop / Loop Off

Hi Gents. Another option is to use the neural mix which out of the box uses the filter knob as drums, mids as instrumentals and highs as vocals. Works like a charm. Quickly enable it by using shift + headphone cue for each deck. Holding shift shows if you have it enabled or disabled for each deck.

1 Like

This is another reason why I chose the Ready over the Buddy. I remapped it so the Gain controls High, High controls Mids. Plus it’s don’t lose my Filters.

I have searched other threads but controllers with 2 band EQ are not supported at the moment. Are there any updates? Will there be official support for 2-band equalizer?

Which controller are you referring to?
The Buddy and Ready are both 2 band Eq controllers that are supported…
I have midi mapped my Reloop Buddy so that I have a 3 band EQ and the LOW + Shift becomes my HP/LP filter effect.
I have also mapped the Loop Encoder dial to be used as Gain on each channel and Shift + Loop Encoder controls the Loop duration. I don’t change the loop duration much anyway

1 Like

@maurizio_T , I think what @loxmys is looking for is an option within the software for a 2 band EQ setting instead of 3 band. With the current implementation, without remapping, only the High and Low frequencies can be controlled via the hardware. With a 2 band EQ setting in djay, the High EQ would also control some of the upper Mids and the Low EQ would control some of the lower Mids.

Personally, with my Reloop Ready, I prefer to have the Gain mapped to High and High mapped to Mid so I have full control over all 3 frequencies. However, a 2 band EQ option within the software would probably be preferable for some users.

1 Like

Oh Ok thanks, Thought he was looking at how to midi map a two channel controller

1 Like

Yes, I would use midi mapping, but it can only be applied to iOS. I want the software to support a 2-band equalizer. It is strange that there is still no support although there are several officially supported controllers with a 2-band equalizer.

Hi everyone,

I wanted to thank you all for the feedback regarding a 2 band EQ option for the Reloop Buddy controller.

I’ve gone ahead and passed this feedback along to our dev team for further review and will update this thread as new information comes in.

Feel free to continue to share any feedback, mappings, etc. Have a nice day!

This is a good workaround. For ios I would do that. But for android you can’t remapp the filter faders. It is very convenient for me to take this controller and use my phone on android for mini parties. I would not want to buy another phone or tablet. Any idea how to get around this on android? Will mapping for android be supported in the future?

Very nice setup!!!

My question is, when you use SHIFT + Filter you leave the knob in a position that doen’t correspond to the current Low balance. I guess it doesn’t reset automatically but as soon as you touch it, the Lows jump to the current knob position, right? Is it a pain when mixing?

I guess the same thing doesn’t happen whith the Gain because the Loop Knob doesn’t have a limited range as the Filter knob has. So it doesn’t matter the position where you leave it. Right?

Yes you are correct, as soon as you touch the knob, it will remember its las position, I only do this when I’m getting out of a mix so not much time to mess up I guess, then once you load a track, it resets itself and I reset the knob position.

1 Like