Access iTunes Library on External Drive

Hi,

Would it be possible to access my iTunes Library that is located on an external drive from djay for iPad?

I have a single iTunes Library on an external drive that I use for Serato, and I would like to use the same library on djay from my iPad. The idea is that I have an ultraportable setup with an iPad and small controller for small gigs, and a MacBook with a full size controller for large gigs. I am all setup on hardware and apps. My only issue is access to a unified library.

The library on my external drive is like 500+ GB and my iPad storage is only 256 GB so the iTunes sync method is not really optimal.

Thanks

That would be nice, but I’m afraid it won’t work. Especially because there is no way to access an iTunes library on an external drive from the iPad itself.
You can of course mount the folders where the files are stored, but unfortunately no playlists etc.

Yes, the iPad will not work for this venture.
But on a MacBook, you can do this with Hardlink.

It’s like a label, only on a deeper level (nothing complicated)
Ok, Google :v:t4:

I see. Well that is unfortunate.

My iTunes Library grew to this size because there were a few years when I was downloading exclusively music videos for mixing, but I dont use most of them anymore. I guess I just need to get off my @ss and clean up my library.

Thanks for the quick response guys!

1 Like

Even if that doesn’t answer your question, it’s certainly a good idea to do some cleaning up. I’ve learned over the years that such a large music library usually doesn’t make sense. As you said yourself, if you don’t play most of the tracks anymore, you can move them to a separate archive. This saves storage space and improves the overview :wink:

1 Like

Hi @zzChris,

Thanks for posting to the community for the first time!

As @Chris_R stated, it is not possible to access the separate iTunes library from an iPad.

Additionally, linked below is a guide for using external drives with djay and iOS for added information and future reference!

How do I play or add songs from external media, like USB sticks or hard drives, iCloud Drive, or the Files app on djay for iOS?

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you in advance for your understanding.