AKAI AMX + AFX MIDI Mapping / Support

I have been down the micro-controller rabbit hole ever since I watched a DJ spin an entire set with a RELOOP SPIN and the AKAI AMX… It made me realized that while I do love the feel of my technics; I want something that’s portable and can be placed in my backpack for casual hangs and for prepping music.

With that I bought the AKAI AMX and AKAI AFX controllers (old tech used for Serato) but realized that there were some mappings that were already created for the AMX back in the Algoriddim days.

I am currrently working on an updated AMX mapping (still some issues with the deck 2 filter knob) and fully mapping out the AFX to work with both the max version and ios version of DJAY.

If anyone has any insights, has mapped these controllers, or is curious for a full mapping let me know. While the tech may be old - the price tag and availability of the Mixtour Pro scared me away from making it work with them.

There doesn’t seem to be a ton of info on how to map these controllers so any insight / midi files / etc. would be appreciated.

I wish there was a way to copy / paste the midi mapping from serato to DJAY but it doesn’t seem to be an option.

Let me know!

2 Likes

I actually just got my hands on a set of the AMX and AFX, so I’d love to assist with the midi mapping process for these! I am still learning about the midi out for showing lights and what not, but I want to get a good setup with these controllers!

2 Likes

I have the AMX working now for the most part; I can share you my mapping if you’re interested. I cannot seem to get the AFX working or responsive at all.

I also can’t get the AMX to work as an audio out when playing through iOS.

Shoot me a dm. Would love to work through this together.

1 Like

I’m further along. Deck 2 Filter can be fixed by changing CC 16 to Type: Fader/Knob. I used DJ.MG’s Midi Map and had to make some edits. CC 15 is set correctly and that’s Deck 1. There are three remaining issues:

1. Using the AMX as an audio interface (probably due to power issues)
  2. Many encoders toggle between two CCs. I initially tried starting from scratch but didn’t get nearly as far as DJ.MG’s v1.0
  3. Djay Pro’s USB Sound Card support makes it a challenge to route to the headphone or monitoring input. I am using a UA Volt (which sounds great) and routing Pre-Cue to the Volt’s 3/4 output (which I am then feeding into a Headphone Amp to convert stereo line level to Headphone Level. Quite a workaround, but generally solid.

I’m now working on my AFX mapping and can report back to y’all. I’ll probably buy a Reloop Mixtour Pro since it’s officially supported, and go with that for gigs. Right now, I’m having fun resurrecting my turntable coffin and re-using these mixer/controllers that I haven’t used in a decade. First post, new paid user of Djay Pro.

1 Like

Awesome! I have put together a bit of a mapping for the AFX, and unfortunately have run into the major issue of lack of support for custom mapping/ assigning Performance Pads in Djay. I can get the FX to work pretty closely to how it is setup in Serato natively, with some shift modifiers added in to control parameters, dry/wet, and change the selected FX.

The issue with the performance pads is unfortunately a software issue on Djays side, as the pad modes on the AFX are not changeable on firmware side(controller side), to allow each of the different modes to give off different midi signals for the different pads and whatnot. Since it is programmed directly in-software with the Serato integration, it’s actually fully supported in Virtual Dj as well, with it’s very in-depth scripting.

I’ll upload my current implementation of the AFX mapping tomorrow for you, though it is very early and kinda messy