Automatic backup player in case of djay crash

HI, if djay pro crashes , have the currently playing deck automatically transfer to a back up deck while the program re-boot. Or something similar where if it crash, the music doesn’t stop.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @Donn, can you please provide more details on your suggestion? Can you explain what you mean by “backup deck” and how this might function while the djay app is rebooting? It sounds like another app would be required for this to work. Thanks.

I can’t imagine that this works, and certainly not in DJay Pro itself. If the app is suddenly closed (which has never happened to me), the music will of course also stop and even an integrated “backup routine”, as you describe it, will no longer work because the app is no longer running. So how would that work?

Theoretically, it may be possible to have another app carry out some kind of monitoring. However, this also becomes impossible at the latest when the current track is requested to be continued “on the fly”. To do this, the track and the current position within the track would have to be constantly transferred, and this additional application would also have to have access to the corresponding audio file in order to be able to play it. I don’t think anyone would go to the trouble of developing something like this.

I also use an external mixer for such cases, to which I have connected an additional player to bridge such “forced pauses”. This works completely independently of any DJ software or hardware.

Apart from that: If this happens so often that you think about something like this or have to think about it, I would probably consider changing the software or even the hardware.

1 Like

yes that would one idea. Have a very basic deck very light on cpu always running in the background separate from Djay. Everytime you load a song it also loads it to the back up deck and if djay crash it automatically switches the audio to your mixer. Just a concept so far… haven’t really thought of how yet. But this would really put your nerves at ease when playing live and we can feel a little more confident when updating in case there’s glitches in the update.

Another idea is the decks are inside djay but djay is just hosting it. The decks are like a plug in.
Similar to Bitwig crash protection, but in djay’s case, it would kinda be the opposite of Bitwigs crash protection feature where if the program crashes the decks still play.

check the vid at 1:05

Hey Chris,
it doesn’t happen often but a crash at a gig is horrible. It would be a great feature if a program can pull this off.

Cool. Thanks for clarifying your suggestion @Donn. Good idea. I have forwarded this to the dev team for consideration. In the meantime, please use the blue Vote button at the top left of this page so we can gauge user demand for this feature. Thanks!

Also, if you have an iOS device like an iPhone or iPad, a trick that I use for live gigs is to have djay running on a second device with Ableton LINK enabled. I load up the same playlist on this device that I’m using for my gig so I can quickly select the song I want if needed. Then if you run into a system freeze or crash, you can quickly switch devices. I normally plug the audio output of my iOS device into an Aux input on my DJ controller or a spare channel on the house mixer.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.