Beatpad 2 audio routing

Djay and Reloop issue

• Device model iPad Pro 12.9 Gen 3 AND Mac Mini M1:
  • Version of operating system: iOS 17.6.1* AND macOS 15:
  • Version of djay 5.2.3:
  • Hardware/controllers used Reloop Beatpad 2 - Firmware version FW 17-9

Hello Djay community. First off thank you to anyone who reads this or provides input and feedback, very much appreciated. I’ve spent a lot of time combing through forums and manuals on Algoriddim and on Reloop and forums (and Reddit) before asking these questions.

I’ve recently purchased a new Reloop Beatpad 2 in the US. I’ve used it successfully (with headphones) in standalone mode connected to my iPad directly via USB-B to USB-C Chroma Cable and the sound in headphones was fine.

Now I’ve connected into my audio/studio chain attempting with the iPad and Mac Mini and I’m not sure if my Beatpad 2 unit is defective or if I’ve got a learning curve I’m not understanding about digital audio routing for Djay or the Reloop Beatpad 2.

Here’s what is on my audio chain so far:

• Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 3rd Gen (USB-C to CalDigit)
  • Focusrite Clarett Octopre+ (ADAT to Scarlett)
  • CalDigit Thunderbolt Element Hub (Thunderbolt to Mac Mini)
  • Satechi Thunderbolt 4 Slim Hub (Thunderbolt/USB-C to iPad)
  • Beatpad 2 (USB-B to Satechi via B to C USB Chroma Cable and XLR female to TRS balanced Master outputs to Clarett channels)
  • Monitors (outputs from Scarlett)
  • Focusrite Control app (loopbacks configured on DAW 1/2 and 3/4)
  • Ableton Live 12 Studio
  • Radial Power Conditioner (everything is plugged into this)
  • ATC battery backup (Radial is plugged into this)

I also have 3 SSL UF/UC controllers and a Push 2 plugged into the CalDigit hub using either C or A ports.

First problem that seems basic is that when the Beatpad 2 has the XLR cables attached and is powered on - I get an awful loud hum in my monitors. When I play a track in either deck 1 or 2 (regardless of correct precue or master audio channel config in Djay) I get a very very very (very) low volume of the audio even when trimmed and gained fully open. It is barely noticeable over the loud hum. Turn Beatpad off - hum goes away. It’s the only piece of hardware on the desk that brings any hum in. Brand new high quality Hosa cables and Cable Matters cables attempted with same result. Is there something I could be missing here on how I should be able to play Djay using the Beatpad 2 and have XLR outs to something like speakers or mixers with decent sound (matching the built-in interface specs) to work with? I also took the Focusrite out and went straight from the Beatpad to the monitors with the same exact loud hum and barely noticeable volume result.

Second problem seems to me even more confusing. Whether I use the iPad or the Mac Mini I cannot get any sound out of the Beatpad set as the Audio Device in Djay - using either internal or external mixer option. Except headphone connected direct to the Beatpad. I can get the iPad speakers to work, I can get the Mac Mini speakers to work, but I cannot get XLR to work or anything else to work (like routing to monitors from Focusrite or direct to monitors).

Third problem is selecting Focusrite Scarlett as the Audio Device in Djay. When I do this using channels 1/2 and 3/4 for master and precue respectively, I get clean sound and volume straight out of the Focusrite via loopback channels 1/2 and 3/4 from Djay. However I have no Master volume control on the Beatpad - only individual deck Gains work. Additionally, if I open Ableton Live I can see the audio coming in on channels 11/12 and I can add it to tracks - but there is a very low gain coming in compared to what’s showing in Focusrite Control and there’s literally no sound coming out of Live’s Main and hence no sound in the monitors.

The rest of this chain works well without the Beatpad connected or Djay being used.

I also have a Soundcraft Notebook I could try with the Beatpad plus iPad but haven’t tried that yet. I’ll do that next to see how the result goes with both RCA and XLR output from the Beatpad as well as USB since the Notebook also has a built in interface. Connect it straight to monitors and see what happens there and in the headphones

Last thing ….

Now if I have to return this Beatpad unit - I’d possibly be looking for something that’s a lot easier to use in a multi-instrument live or studio setting - so using a USB interface like the Focusrite or Notebook would be ideal. I don’t really need scratch pads but really want the best overall control and mix ability in a hardware unit that works flawlessly with Djay Pro and Neural Mix. The Mixtour Pro small form factor seems nice but perhaps more limiting compared to a Mixon 8 Pro on the mixer and knobs side of things as well as outputs, but it seems maybe too large. I’ve looked at the Reloop Elite and RMX-95 as possible alternatives but would want to be sure I can have really full access to Djay Pro and Neural Mix controls with solid outputs. The Alpha-Theta Omnis-Duo controller looks nice (expensive!) but I can find very little info on it using Djay experience.

Thank you in advance for looking into any of this with me. Much appreciated!

Update:

I tried a setup using the Beatpad 2, the iPad, with and without USB hub, and a Notebook 12FX mixer.

First I tried Chroma Cables RCA between the Beatpad and the Notebook. No gain came into the stereo channel pair or mains or Aux for headphones/booth and no sound from the Notebook using XLR Master outs direct to monitors. When attempted to route these outs into a Focusrite to see if it picked up any sound, it did not. As if the Beatpad RCA outputs send no sound, just like the XLR outs.

I tried a combination of restarts with Internal and External Mixer settings in djay with the same result using channel pairs 1/2 and 3/4 as well as split output for precue. Not sure what I’m missing here but the Beatpad doesn’t seem to send sound using its built in outputs.

I then switched to using the Notepad 12FX as the audio device in djay, and saw that USB channels 1/2 on the Notepad had gain coming in and master XLR outputs from the Notepad sent out sound to the speakers. That’s as far as I could get with this setup.

I decided to return the Beatpad 2 after all of this testing as a defective unit that doesn’t send sound from its outputs and provides line level hum when plugged into balanced outputs - as well as no sound from unbalanced RCA.
Thank you.