Can't relink files after migrating their location in v5.1.6 of DJay Pro on MacOS 14.4.1

NOTE: Please use the search function above before posting to avoid creating duplicate topics.

• Device model (e.g. 2020 iPad Air 4th Gen): 15" M2 2023 MacBook Air
  • Version of operating system (e.g. macOS 14.4.1): MacOS 14.4.1
  • Version of djay (e.g. 5.1.2): 5.1.6
  • Hardware/controllers used (e.g. Reloop Mixon 8 Pro): None in this situation

Summary of the issue:
I can’t relink missing files after migrating their location in v5.1.6 of DJay Pro on MacOS 14.4.1.

I had my Music folder set up on my Mac so that it was synced to iCloud across my devices. Storage was low on my internal drive, so I decided to migrate my music folder to an external SSD. After doing so and deleting the folder from my iCloud in an attempt to sync the new folder on the external SSD, those songs were shown as grayed out (I assume this means missing) in DJay. However, when I click on the file and select relink missing files, the software tells me that there are no missing files. I had already linked the new music folder in DJay beforehand too.

How to reproduce the issue:
Repeat steps I outline above.

I found a workaround in the meantime. By dragging each song from the new music folder in DJay into my playlist, the software tells me it’s a duplicate, then I click skip and the original song in the playlist can be played again. This was sufficient for me to fix the one short playlist that I currently need.

BTW, I see that I have iCloud sync enabled, and I’m not sure how I can or should turn that off.

1 Like

Hi @Joshf82,

1. First, let’s backup your djay data by copying the djay folder to an external drive or cloud location. You can find this folder here: https://help.algoriddim.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014912211-Where-does-djay-Pro-store-playlists-cue-points-and-other-data-on-my-Mac
  2. Now you can uninstall djay, redownload for the App Store and reinstall it.
  3. Then you can copy the backup contents of the folder above back into the new folder.
  4. Regarding iCloud Sync, please refer to this FAQ: https://help.algoriddim.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014702832-How-do-I-enable-iCloud-syncing-on-iOS-and-macOS
1 Like

I followed these steps and the issue still persists. The songs are still grayed out, and when I click relink missing files, there are no missing files found. The files are all there and playable in My Files, but not in playlists until I have added them again manually. At which point the grayed out file in the playlist becomes playable again.

1 Like

It would be great if DJay could relink the files just by searching them in a folder and its sub-folders.
I that would be something very simple to implemente and helped a lot when. for example, preparing sets in DJay for Mac and them moving to DJay for iOS. Or, also an example, for some reason someone have the need to relocate the folder library where the each track file resides (i.e. moving it for an external drive).

It looks like the feature is there, but maybe it doesn’t function yet? I assumed it worked, but that I encountered a bug.

I resolved my issue with minimal effort. Here’s my workaround:

1. Create a new playlist and copy all songs from master playlists or other playlists. Skip duplicates.
  2. Go to My Files and open the linked folder that contains the working copies of the music.
  3. Select all the songs and drag them into the new playlist. Click Skip Duplicates.
  4. All songs are functional again across all playlists.

Hi @Joshf82, sorry for the late response. Sounds like you’ve got it sorted out though. Yeah, the best way to relink files if you move them is to drag and drop the files/folders into the My Collection->Music playlist.

Thanks for the solution. It proves to be useful.

Anyway, in my opinion, it was more valuable and probably very easy to implement some kind of path configuration for the track library where the app should look for all the files need for each playlist.
In my case, I have one folder (i.e. ‘DJ Library’) where I store all the track files of the music I purchase, with several different sub-folders with each purchase I make (i.e. ‘DJ Library/Traxsource_2024_05’). I have dozens of different sub-folders (from purchases from Traxsource, Beatport, BPM Supreme and even some music I ripped from CD’s or transferred from vinyl).

Using your method I must go sub-folder by sub-folder, manually selecting the track files and add them to the ‘main’ DJay playlist.

If, in other hand, we have some configuration where you could choose a path, it was easier that DJay scanned the folder and respective sub-folder for any missing files and recreate the missing link.

I think it could be a good idea for DJay and certainly very easy to implement.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.