Cues not syncing between iCloud devices

• Device model: iPad Pro 6th Gen / MacBook Pro M1 / MacBook Pro i5
  • Version of operating system: Latest GA (17.6.1 iOS / 14.6.1 macOS)
  • Version of djay: 5.2.3
  • Hardware/controllers used: N/A (None needed to replicate)

Summary of the issue:
I have a load of tracks in a folder on my MacBook Pro M1, under a path like:

~/Music/DJ Music/

I have an iPad Pro with all the music downloaded locally in a path like:

“On My iPad”/Music/DJ Music

These are identical tracks, named the same, tagged the same, etc.

I can add these tracks to my library on the iPad but all the cues set on my MacBook do not copy over. I believe it works for streamed music, but not the local files.

Is this a bug, or a feature limitation? If so, it’s pretty frustrating to have to re-cue hundreds of tracks all over again, and then double it up every time I add something new. :question:

Hi @Siyfion, please refer to the linked FAQ below and let me know if this helps. Thanks!

1 Like

I tried the above and although it says in Advanced/iCloud Syncing Staus updated and the correct time and date, it doesn’t sync between my devices,

My iCloud storage is full, would this be preventing my syncing of cue points between devices?

That certainly could be the issue. Sometimes I’ve noticed that things don’t update immediately as well. Try checking again in an hour. If that doesn’t work, try clearing some space on your iCloud.

Note my djay Media Library database file is about 500MB so, you might want to have a look at how large yours is as well.

2 Likes

Thanks I will try that

2 Likes

@Slak_Jaw not sure what happened but it seems to be working now - perhaps because I set cues on errr… 100 tracks all in one go and then went across to the other devices to check, it didn’t quite sync as fast as I expected?! But we’re all good here.

Is your iCloud storage full or do you have a lot of free space?

Loads of free space.

@Slak_Jaw I have found something unexpected though. I purchased all my tracks from Beatport, and on my iPad and MacBook Pro I have the files locally.

On my iPhone I do not (don’t want to lug them around), but I do have Beatport streaming. So if I go to the Beatport integration and click on “purchased tracks” I see effectively my normal library, but in “streaming mode” instead.

The cues I have set up for local files, do not seem to copy over to the streaming versions of the same track. Is this a bug, or a missing feature request?

In my mind they are exactly the same track, name, length, etc… but just streamed rather than local. It would be a safe bet to use the existing cue points, but they are all blank.

Hi @Siyfion,

1. Please note that the Purchased Tracks section in the Beatport source of djay is showing you a list of songs that you purchased on the Beatport website. When you access the songs from this menu you will access streaming versions of them from the Beatport Streaming service - not the actual songs that you purchased and downloaded.
  2. If you want to play the Beatport tracks that you purchased you need to add these downloaded files to your device then import them into djay using iTunes/Music or the Files source.
  3. djay sees these purchased and downloaded local songs as different from their streaming equivalents so it is expected behavior that your hot cues don’t show show up when accessing a streaming version of the “same song”. Hopefully that makes sense.
  4. I recommend that you create playlists using My Collection and add all of your purchased Beatport songs to these playlists. You can also add Beatport Streaming songs to these playlists for songs that you have not purchased. If you have a Beatport LINK Pro subscription, you can even add these streaming songs to an Offline Locker. This allows you to play these streaming songs without purchasing them AND without an internet connection. I hope that helps!

@Slak_Jaw

1. Yup. I know that, they are the same song however. Even if one’s being streamed and one not.
  2. I can play them, just fine, but as you said, they’re streaming, not ‘local’.
  3. That’s kind of my point - why? If the track is the same, regardless of whether it’s streaming or local, if djay pro has some hot cues set for it anywhere, surely it makes sense to apply the same cues to any and all versions of the same song? Not only that but if say Beatport was down and TIDAL had the same track, you could then load that in a pinch and use it with hot cues set just the same.
  4. I assume by “Offline Locker” you mean the “Offline Library” section which you can then select tracks to add too?

I have a follow up to point 4 - if the tracks are then not streamed and available offline, will it then match hot cues from the same tracks downloaded manually and stored locally on my MacBook Pro?

@Siyfion because these files are different and djay does not write the hot cue data to the files. The data is stored in a database and retrieved when the exact file is loaded. It’s a bit like of you have the same song in FLAC format and MP3 on your computer. If you add hot cues to the FLAC file they are not automatically added to the MP3 file. There is no connection between them.

Yes, “Offline Locker” and “Offline Library” are the same thing. Beatport calls it a Locker and djay calls it a Library. Again, the Offline Library has no relation to Local Music files that you purchased from Beatport. These are different files with different formats.

Sounds like there’s a great area for an improvement there - if djay fingerprinted each track in a way that was file-agnostic after loading it, and stored the cues, loops and other data against that in the database, it would work regardless of where the track came from, whether it was an MP3 or a FLAC, local or streamed…

I don’t see why there would be a negative to it working in that way?