DDJ-400 iOS and djay pro

That is an old like. If that’s not the problem will it be with my usb3 camera adapter… when I plug it in to my phone the controller lights up, but if my phone try’s to charge then the controller cuts out

The problem isn’t really with your adapter, it’s the amount of power the thing needs to work correctly.

I have put up a post here that shows how to use a powered USB hub to make it work.

I, along with many others, have never been able to get a Pioneer controller to work just off the power supplied by the camera adapter as the iPad (or phone) doesn’t kick out enough juice to keep it on.

Have a look at my other post and that should guide you in the right direction of getting it working.

:wink:

Thanks for info

So basically I can use the DdJ400 in djay pro, my camera adapter is fine and o just need a more powerful usb to power it.

Will my phone/iPad charge then and power the controller, is that the issue I have got

1 Like

The controller is powered by the USB hub and then the iPhone/iPad is also charged via the hub through the camera adapter.

The controller and the device talk to each other through the hub and adapter.

The pictures at the bottom of my other conversation show how it all connects up…

It does need to be a powered USB hub though and a normal hub will not do it at all.

Great thanks for your knowledge Yoda

1 Like

You’re welcome…

Let us know how you get on.

Do not buy the DDJ-400 to use with an Ipad you will have audio dropout issues.

The reported audio dropout issues with the DDJ-400 should be fixed now with the release of djay Pro AI for iOS version 3.6.6. Please update your app and let us know if you have any feedback!

A post was split to a new topic: DDJ-400 connected to iPad causes lag in djay

Are you confident that the drop out issues have been resolved?

Yes, fairly confident. :slightly_smiling_face: We’ve also had many reports from users to confirm this has been fixed. Please let us know if you’re running into any problems and we’ll be happy to help you out.

1 Like

Well just had a drop out within 20mins, music still mixing deck unresponsive…so frustrating

1 Like

Sorry to hear that and I can definitely understand the frustration.

As it would be really helpful to understand your individual setup in more detail, could you please submit a request ticket here so our Support Team can gather additional information and provide 1:1 support for you. Please reference this Forum Topic thread in your request.

I am also using the Pioneer DDJ-400 together with djPro AI for iOS on iPad.
I can confirm what was written above. Yes you need the original(!) Apple Ligthtening To USB 3 “Camera” Adapter. And very importantly you need a strongly powerd USB Charger. The DDJ-400 needs close to 3A at 5V to run.

I am currently looking if this is possible with a Powerbank for a mobile setup … still work in progress …

2 Likes

Still dropping out here in may 2021. 2 times in an hour trying to host a party. Membership cancelled. Embarrassing

I went and bought the 12w apple charger and adopter and the usb/camera one. Totalling nearly £50. I plug the lighting cable in and my phone and it charges but the controller doesn’t power up. The only way I can get the set working is with a powered usb hub. And then I have drop outs

I’ve got it!!! It works!!!

DDJ-400 connected via Apple Camera Connection Kit Adapter to iPad with dJay for iOS and all that powerd with ONE USB Powerbank.

The key was, that it needs the right powerbank and a USB 2-to-1 adapter like this:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B001BHVMIU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This adapter can combine the power of two USB Ports

According to the spec on the back of the DDJ-400 it only needs 5V at 500mA. But it seems to need more to power on. Only when I combine two USB ports (2A + 1.5A) then the DDJ-400 powers on.

I tested the setup yesterday. It ran for more than 2 hours. It is even possible to change the powerbank WHILE playing. Simply unplug one USB of the 2-to-1 adapter Plug it into the new/second powerbank. Then change the second USB of the adapter.

At the top left a portable Speaker. (JBL Extreme 1 - great sound, nice base and runs for hours.)

At the left a strong USB powerbank with TWO ports that can deliver 2A + 1.5A. (Do not use a cheap WISH product or so. Buy a decent one!)

Plugged into the powerbank the 2-to-1 USB Adapter, so that the power of both USB outputs can be combined. (This is necessary for the DDJ-400 to boot up. The DDJ-400 does not have a power on button. It simply boots, when there is enough power deliverd.)

An iPad with dJay for iOS app. Pluged into it at the right the original “Apple Lightening to USB Camera Kit” Adapter (you MUST by the original one. Yes I know it’s expensive. Around 50€)

And of course the Pioneer DDJ-400 DJ MIDI controller.

Glad you get to use yours! I can get it all powered up and working, using powered hubs and camera adapters… but after 15 mins or an hour, my controller loses all connection to the djay app…pioneer can’t tell me why it’s happening and neither can algorithm, stuck in limbo with no answers.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.