Desktop vs iOS???

If anyone has used both…Is there a stability/performance difference between destop and ios versiions of DJAY Pro? I have an iPad M1 looking to upgrade. The iPad is amazing but it has some issues from time to time. For example, tempo changed out of nowhere last night doing a gig. Also, sometimes I have to restart the Rane One and DJay in order for all the buttons to work. Torn between an iPad and laptop. Anybody have experience with both?

I used MacBook with Traktor for many years but now use iPad with Djay Pro. I love the iPad and how I can touch screen if needed, effects etc. havent used djay with Mac as yet. Some differences like editing meta data can be done on Mac.

5 Likes

I can’t compare the difference as I have always only ever used the iPad but in my experiences with computers, they crash more often than my iPad has ever crashed.

3 Likes

@DJ_A_Diffrance

For what it’s worth, I use djay on both an M1 MB Pro and also an M1 12.9 iPad Pro and I much prefer the iPad.

The ability to touch the screen if needed in an emergency is a massively positive step over trying to grab and then aim a mouse!

I do though mostly prefer the GUI of the Mac version.

It has been spoken about many times here about having the Mac GUI on an iPad. After all the 13” Mac is no different in real estate to the 12.9 iPad. Anyway that’s another thread right there…

So they both have their pros and cons, but for me the touch screen is a hands down winner when you ‘have a moment’ and forget which pad you’ve mapped on the controller and have to use the onscreen button!

Stability issues are negligible, I rarely get any on either platform.

S

:+1:t2:

4 Likes

I haven’t used computers for DJing for 2 years, only iPads. Much faster, I’ve never seen it crash, my setup currently responds wonderfully well (2x Twelve Mk2 - 1 DJm-S11 - iPad Pro M1 2020).

2 Likes

Dope routine. I’m subscribed on YouTube.

1 Like

I starting to believe serato and djay don’t play well together. I’m literally the only one of my DJ friends who uses djay pro. So when they connect their computers to my Rane running serato things start getting a little crazy. Tempo changes out of nowhere. Effects don’t work properly. It works good when I don’t allow others to plug in using serato. Have any of you all had things like this happen before?

Whenever you plug it back into your iPad, turn off Rane and turn it back on as a precaution. I don’t think this is exactly the problem, because I’ve sometimes used the iPad running Djay Pro on USB A of the DJM-S11 and my Mac M1 running Serato on USB B of the S11 and everything flows normally. Serato Pitch N Time and Serato Flip still allow me to do things that I can’t do with Djay Pro. But I rarely use them this way.

1 Like