djay 2 crash on iOS 8.1 on iPhone 4S

Here is an exchange I just had with Warren; note Warren followed-up right-away, it was MY delay in responding…

Hey Warren,

Sorry for the delay. I’ve posted an update on the forum. This was after I updated iOS 8.1 -> 8.1.1 .

I think it’s working/fixed for me now, but I haven’t had time to do extensive testing. I can still get Djay to crash, but this is with a particular mp3 and I’m wondering if that mp3 isn’t somehow corrupt (although I can play it all the way through with Apple’s stock Music app). THANKS guys!

Your sequence-of-events was right

You’re on 8.1 or 8.1.1? It sounds like almost exactly the same problem, except since I went to 8.1.1, on my iPhone 4s, the problem is basically gone…

Matthew - FYI. I was able to find 2 tracks where I got the crash, repeatedly, under 8.1.1. Have sent them and my 5 crash logs to Warren.

I think the problem has to do with the length of the file AND/OR merged mp3s that have multiple headers in the mp3 file (I was able to “fix” one of these files by re-encoding it in Audacity - making everything into 1 continuous mp3 with 1 header) AND/OR the algorithm that Djay is using for calculating the spectrum chokes. I’m testing now whether letting it calculate the whole spectrum before I turn the screen off helps. How long we give it before we turn-off the screen may influence this. Hope this helps you guys. Spent way too much time on it…

_____ OK… I FOUND A WORKAROUND _____ for all the mp3s I’ve been having problems with recently: Allow Djay to calculate the complete waveform/spectrum BEFORE turning-off the screen. You can adjust the auto-lockout time in iOS’s settings to force your screen to stay on. On a 9-hour mp3 audiobook, it takes ~15 minutes to calculate the complete waveform/spectrum – and much less for smaller files. Perhaps the calculation is faster under 8.1.1, that’s why we saw an improvement. ALSO, this is a 1-time thing: If Djay calculates the waveform/spectrum once – completely through, it seems to store it, so it comes-back immediately. SO this also explains the intermittency of the crash with certain files too. Hope this works for you…

re: _____ OK… I FOUND A WORKAROUND _____

Sorry, I thought for sure I had posted this here several days ago… This seems to be working for me on all files on my 4S.

_____ OK… I FOUND A WORKAROUND _____ for all the mp3s I’ve been having problems with recently: Allow Djay to calculate the complete waveform/spectrum BEFORE turning-off the screen. You can adjust the auto-lockout time in iOS’s settings to force the screen to stay on. On a 9-hour mp3 audiobook, it takes ~15 minutes to calculate the waveform/spectrum – and much less for smaller files. Perhaps the calculation is faster under 8.1.1, that’s why we saw an improvement. ALSO, this is a 1-time thing: If Djay calculates the waveform/spectrum once – completely through, it seems to store it, so it comes-back immediately. SO this also explains the intermittency of the crash with certain files too.