Djay 5.0 messed up my beatgrids.

@MontyJoe and @Donall_O_Cleirigh,

1. As @Mister_Tuur suggested, sharing specific tracks (ideally link to Tidal, SoundCloud, Beatport, etc) that you are having issues will really help to illustrate the problems you are having and for us to help troubleshoot the specific issues. If you don’t use a streaming service then details about the song title, artist name and remixer would be super helpful.
  2. Please note, there are many users, myself included, that have experienced zero issues with the new system. I have personally been testing this system for weeks will all kinds of normal and extremely challenging music and the Fluid Beatgrids have performed perfectly. I know for a fact that I am not alone in this.
  3. There is definitely a bit of a learning curve with the new system and I apologize for the lack of documentation and information on how it works. I completely understand any confusion that has come from this. As noted above, the FAQ should be released today.
  4. I also understand that there are outlying specific cases where the new system needs some help. So, providing examples of specific songs that aren’t working for you, will really help us to communicate these issues to the engineering team.

Again, I apologize for the issues you are experiencing, but we are working on it!

1 Like

I have reverted back to an old backup which was on my Mac and I’ve transferred over to my iPhone. The beatgrids on those tracks now seem to be adhering so far thankfully. You can’t manually set the GRID START where you want it. DOWNBEAT is not the same as GRID START. This is a major problem for track accuracy.

You can now only set a downbeat and the app just puts this where it sees fit. You can’t pick a grid start point yourself - (looks like this IMPORTANT functionality has been removed),

A lot of tracks have intros silent starts etc that aren’t taken into account with whatever new algorithm has been developed by “the lab guys”.

It does badly with breakbeat start grids, 6/4’s and abstracts (always has) and you need to be able to place the GRID START where you want to get around this issue. You then need to be able to incrementally move it to the start of a 4/4 BEATGRID and not adhere to a grid set by the app. Otherwise those tracks will always be inaccurate.

TO SUM UP, in about 5-10 seconds with a functionality in V4 - you could apply GRID START on any complex waveform along with SET START CUE, and have PERFECT ACCURACY.

SO, either it’s an accurate mix tool of it isn’t, choose….

1 Like

3 songs with incorrect Grid Start, applying downbeat makes worse, V4 screenshot with GRID START button.

Again, sorry for the delay. As promised, here are the FAQ articles for the Fluid Beatgrid system:

I’ve tried a couple from Tidals’ “Salsa Classics” list. No probs so far.

Could you be so kind to provide one track ID that doesn’t work for you?

@Donall_O_Cleirigh,

1. The engineering team examined the tracks that you shared and the Fluid Beatgrid system analyzed them automatically and perfectly. We have tested thousands of tracks and the new system gets it perfectly in 99.9% of cases.
  2. The engineering team has concluded that something else must be going on to cause the issues you are experiencing.
  3. Can you please send your djaymedialibrary database file along with a selection of songs you are having issues with to our Dropbox so we can examine them further? Dropbox
  4. The djaymedialibrary file can be found in the Files App on iOS in On My iPhone>djay>User Data

Thanks!

I have just tried 2 tracks and no issues so far.

1 Like

@Donall_O_Cleirigh in the meantime,

1. Can you please check if any of the songs you’re having issues with show a red Reset button in the edit grid section.
  2. If so, please do not press the Reset button, but send this track to our Dropbox as shared above. This file will really help the engineering team to identify your issue. Thanks!

Seconded.

1 Like

Thank you @Dysfunk_DJ and @Mister_Tuur for confirming. I appreciate your help!

Is the team interested in tracks to improve the AI? I have one new track where it’s getting confused over some off beat samples going on in an intro. If the AI would follow the hihat it would be fine though. I can imagine it’s not easy though…

Absolutely @Mister_Tuur. Can you please create a new topic for this discussion so other users can submit their tracks and suggestion?

2 Likes

I can do that yes. I will be scanning a number of new tracks. I do this on my iPhone. I’m not sure what everyone’s results are on desktop computers. In my opinion the grid start needs to match the beginning of the beat where the first start cue is placed. That is what the grid start button was for, not sur ex why it has been removed?

I will screengrab as I go anyway.

1 Like

That’s not always the case though. And if you try to ‘correct’ that it can open a can of worms.

It might have worked previously, but as far as I can tell it’s almost perfect right now and not necessary anyway.

@Donall_O_Cleirigh the engineering team is requested some additional information to help solve your specific issue. In addition to some of the songs they need your entire “djay” folder from your iPhone.

1. Open Files app on iPhone
  2. Go to “On my iPhone” section
  3. Tap-and-hold the “djay” folder and select “Compress”
  4. Upload resulting ZIP file to our Dropbox
  5. Please also upload some of the tracks that are causing you issues.

Thanks!

Cheers, I’ll put in the new tracks and upload then…

Thanks @Donall_O_Cleirigh. That should help a lot.

I HATE the new fluid beatgrid. I’m trying to set cue points at the end of “The Next Episode” to the beginning of “Still DRE” both from Snoop Dog and Dr. Dre on Tidal, and I can’t edit the beat grid at all to start on the beat. Not only that, there’s no way to edit the BPM, even when switched to straight from dynamic. This is really messing up my work flow and makes the whole thing useless. I’m forced to use synch and remove all manual (and therefore creative) control from the DJ.

I wish I had backed up but now I’m stuck. Another nail in the coffin and a reason to switch over to recordbox! Please restore the old functionality!!!

2 Likes

Hi @dizzydj123,

Thanks for sharing this additional information.

Would you be able to provide us with some screenshots of the misaligned tracks in question?

Our engineering team would like to take a look at where the waveforms+beat grid is having trouble for reference.

Thanks so much!