Djay Pro not finding tracks in folders via Windows App

NOTE: Please use the search function above before posting to avoid creating duplicate topics.

• Device model (e.g. 2020 iPad Air 4th Gen):
  • Version of operating system (e.g. macOS 14.4.1):
  • Version of djay (e.g. 5.1.2):
  • Hardware/controllers used (e.g. Reloop Mixon 8 Pro):

Summary of the issue:

How to reproduce the issue:

Hi, I’m trying to get to the bottom of a big problem using Djay Pro on my home PC
The app is installed on Windows 10, Home Edition 64 Djay Pro version 5.299.23

I originally thought this issue was similar to the iOs problem about songs not loading which the latest update has fixed for my iOs version of the app utilising my iPad and iPhone but I’m still having the problem on Windows, despite updating to the 5.299 latest version

I’ve spoken to Apple for 3 hours yesterday but they were not much help. I’ll try and upload a video below to show what is happening but I’ll do my best to explain and maybe somebody with some itunes/PC/Djay Pro knowledge can assist as I’m tearing my hair out trying to resolve this

On iOs if you download a playlist to your ipad for example so the song file is on your device you can then utilise the Nueral Mix option in Djay Pro whearas you can’t if streaming the song through the Apple Music icon, perfectly understand this
So using the same logic if you donwload a file to your PC via iTunes/Apple Music when adding to your itunes library on windows this song shoudl then be accessible to NueralMix if you select the itunes logo on the DJ Pro App yet this isn’t working for me, I always get the “cannot load track” message when trying to load form the itunes option.
What confuses me more is if I go to the folder icon undeneath the itunes icon the songs are not showing in this folder path, so no surprise the songs aren’t visible to the Djay Pro app, yet If I go to that folder in Windows explorer through my PC and the tracks are clearly showing as itunes tracks,

MPEG-4 Audio File (Protected) (.m4p)

The only tracks the folder route locates are old Mp3 files which then load to the dJay Pro app fine

MPEG Layer 3 Audio (.mp3)

Naturally I’m trying to achieve on my PC the same as I do on my iPad that I can load a track from my itunes playlist/library and be able to use NueralMix yet at the minute any new track I download from Apple Music or my iTunes app refuses to load in this way through the DJPro App

I hope the above makes some sense and somebody can help, I’ve created a seperate mini folder on my desktop and put some tracks in here, which the video shows, the app finds the folder but won’t display and of the .m4p tracks only my old .mp3 songs therefore I can’t load them to the App

Thanks in advance for anybody that can possibly give me some ideas

Cheers

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/6vdjwcwg0mm5cp1bympjh/AEYWPiA2EJAsFDWRFVGpllM?rlkey=na6n9ym36mh1ff4d7keu0tthy&st=7ab5kev7&dl=0

Video available in the above link @Slak_Jaw Thanks

Hi @Cuzer, thanks for the video and details about the issue. I have forwarded this to the engineering team to see if they can reproduce the issue and offer any suggestions. I’ll report back here when I have news. Thanks!

Thanks Slak Jaw, I’m really scratching my head so hope they can find some suggestions

Cheers

Hi @Cuzer, I spoke with engineering they think the reason why djay cannot play them from the iTunes source is because the files are DRM protected. Thery’re not sure why iTunes is still downloading DRM protected files, as they removed DRM years ago, but it could be that the Windows iTunes was never updated to do this.

The reason why the files do not show in the explorer source is probably because we don’t support the file extension .m4p (only m4a/mp4) for these file types, so we filter them out and don’t shown them.

Part 5 on this site might be helpful How to Remove DRM from iTunes Music - 5 Methods where it suggests you can do something if you have iTunes Match (now part of Apple Music). This is not officially recommended by Algoriddim though so please proceed at own risk. I hope that helps.

Thanks Slak Jaw that makes sense but I’m scratching my head if the file extension has changed as I’ve been organizing my iTunes library this way for years.

Does anybody else on here use iTunes/windows on pc/DJay pro and manage to access the tracks on their PC OK within the app? I’d be really interested to know if they do

I’ll try speaking to Apple again but that’s a slog at the best of times :man_facepalming:

Cheers

@Cuzer you could potentially ditch iTunes, and instead of using the Local Music Source in djay, use the My Files Source once you’ve got your music in the proper file format(s). You would of course have to rebuild your playlists.

If you go this route, I would recommend building your playlists in the My Collection Source as they can contain both local music and streaming music.

Thanks Slak Jaw, I’ll look into my options and put another call into Apple see if I can get any clarity on the download format etc

Cheers again

You’re welcome @Cuzer. Please report back here with what you end up doing. Thanks!

Hey @Cuzer, any updates on this?

Hi, I’m still talking with Apple, due another cal back on Monday, not getting anywhere fast unfortunately and the problem still exists as above

It’s now being flagged up to their engineering team to see if they can shed any light on things

Will update when I have more info

Cheers

Okay, thanks for the update. Good luck!