Djay2, ios7, iDJPro - Split Feed to House Audio - Random!!

Hi Stuart,

I understand how frustrating this issue must be. Please know that we feel AT LEAST the same.

You’re absolutely right, this issue started to occur more often on iOS 7 with djay 2 (only a few users have encountered this on iOS 6 and djay 1). However, I don’t understand how this rules out a firmware/hardware issue. We are working closely with Numark to get to the bottom of this problem and it is still unclear whether this is a software, a firmware/hardware, an iOS 7 issue or a combination of all of the above.

Honestly, we’d much rather prefer if it turns out to be a software issue because this means that we can fix it ourselves. As already mentioned though, the current test results are inconclusive.

There hasn’t been a firmware update since djay 1 (it was one of the 1.6.x updates that initially contained the firmware update for the iDJ Pro).

And in regards to audio routing, there were no changes at all from djay 1 to 2. There was nothing wrong with the audio routing so there was no need for any changes.

Yes, we think that something in djay 2/iOS 7 triggers this issue. However, as also already mentioned by another user, we found that all other music apps are affected once this problem occurs. Also, no other supported controller is affected.

What also makes this issue more confusing is that different devices (iPads) behave differently with the same iDJ Pro. I’ve been able to find a way to reproduce this problem consistently on an iPad 3 with iOS 7, but these exact same steps don’t work on an iPad 2 with iOS 7. Then, we’ve found another way to reproduce this on an iPad 2, but then this doesn’t lead to an error on an iPad 3.

This strange issue is really causing knots in my brain. :smiley:

I’m confident that if this is a software problem in djay, our developers can and will fix it.

The fastest way I can reproduce it on an iPad 2 is by putting the iPad on full strain:

• load longer songs on both decks
  • put up the speed on +75% on both decks
  • enable key-lock
  • enable FX
  • and leave the pop-over library open

On an iPad 3, all you need to do is play a song on the right deck (crossfader on the left) and leave the pop-over library open for a few minutes.

If anyone else can figure out an easier way to reproduce the error, please pass it on.

Also, did any of you ever encounter this issue WITHOUT interacting with the library at all?

Can anyone reproduce this issue with djay 1 on iOS 7?

I’m sorry but this issue will probably not get fixed within the upcoming week.

That’s a good question about the scrolling, though. I noticed that the issue occurs “more often” or faster when browsing with the controller.

We want you to be assured that this issue is on our highest priority.

As the iDJ Pro is the only controller exhibiting this issue when used with djay, Numark is also aware of it and we are working closely together on getting this issue fixed as quickly as possible.

In the meantime, please download the latest update (v 2.2.1) and use the library in full-screen mode. Our tests show that using full-screen library dramatically reduces the risk of encountering this problem.

We thank you all for your patience and cooperation.

Hi Brandon,

I’m still here. :slight_smile:

I guess I should mention that we can reproduce this error in the “standard” layout also. Users, of course, have no way of knowing or verifying this since you can only use the iDJ Pro view mode.

One of the first things we tried is if we can reproduce this error with the “iDJ Pro view” on any of the other supported controllers. Fortunately, this came out as negative.

Please also see my reply to Brandon’s comment.

Hi Everyone,

Hope you all had wonderful holidays.

Just a quick feedback to Brandon’s video (thanks by the way for posting):

I’m not sure if I already posted this, but this problem actually results to a “channel shifting” in the iDJ Pro’s output. So basically:

djay Master LEFT -> iDJ Pro Master RIGHT
djay Master RIGHT -> iDJ Pro Headphone LEFT
djay Monitor LEFT -> iDJ Pro Headphone RIGHT
djay Monitor RIGHT -> iDJ Pro Master LEFT

As you can see, the channels are shifted by 1. This explains why you can hear the pre-cueing channel on the left master output.

Thanks for posting. :slight_smile:
I was just about to post the same thing here.

Still here…

Please rest assured that my silence here has nothing to say about whether we’re still working on the issue or not. Numark and Algoriddim are working non-stop on this problem.

Also, please understand that I cannot disclose any details regarding an on-going investigation.

Hi Everyone,

First off, sorry for the long silence.

We just wanted to let you know that we’re in the final phase of releasing an update. The new version, along with other improvements, contains a firmware update for the iDJ Pro, which fixes the channel shifting issue.

Thank you all very much for your patience and for helping us get to the bottom of this major problem.

djay 2.2.2 is out!!

Thank you for your continued feedback. Over the past months we have been hard at work improving almost every aspect about djay 2 in this free update for you, most notably:

• Sound: added audio limiter, no more distortion no matter how much you turn up the bass, filter, effects, etc. (turn on/off in Settings > Advanced)
• Effects: fixed volume drop
• Key detection: added setting to turn harmonic match on/off (Settings > Audio Analysis)
• Automix: many improvements including the option to select albums, to only use songs from queue, or to use current playlist selection in library as the source (e.g. history, artists, genres, etc.)
• Queue: added setting to keep songs in the queue after they are played (Settings > Library)
• New gesture: swipe down the load button to automatically play the next track from your current playlist selection
• Enhanced song loading menu: available using tap-and-hold on load button
• iDJ Pro: added firmware upgrade that fixes channel swap issue and improves compatibility with iOS 7
• Various bugfixes and performance improvements

Thank you for using djay 2, please support us by rating the app with every update. We are looking forward to your feedback!

Your Algoriddim team

Are you using Perfect Sync?

You activate Perfect Sync by pressing the sync button twice. It basically locks the tracks in sync by automatically pitch-bending when necessary.

haha :smiley: Go check it out then!

Hi Brent,

Brandon’s reply is right on point. Another thing you can try is connecting via USB + Camera Adapter instead of the designated 30-pin connector.

Anyways, please help us maintain the forum by only posting comments related to the topic.

We’ve been testing the newest djay update along with the firmware update for the iDJ Pro on iOS 7.1 and found no new issues.

So, from our side of things, I’d say you’re good to go.

I just got my IDJ Pro replaced because of a cable issue. When testing the new one I got this problem for the first time - and I’m still deliberately using iOS6 on my iPad 3. However, it only happened when using RCA jacks to some small powered speakers - can’t reproduce with XLR to the main PA (which fortunately is what I use gigging anyway. Maybe a red herring but thought I’d mention it

Interesting observation - let’s hope something comes of it!