Filter/FX audio glitch when using Reloop MIXTOUR

Video of glitch in action:

• Device model : iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)
  • Version of operating system: iPadOS 17
  • Version of djay: 5.2.0
  • Hardware/controllers used: Reloop MIXTOUR (original model)

Summary of the issue:
When moving the filter knob to just to the left of center AND just to before fully turned right, the audio glitches (see attached video). This doesn’t happen when playing through iPad speakers (i.e. no MIXTOUR attached).

The same glitch happens through pre-cue (headphones). i’ve actually blown out a pair of headphones due to the issue. Setting audio-limiter in the app prevents an eardrum blowing sound from coming out, but it just reduces the volume of the glitch

This doesn’t happen with the Mac Djay app through the MIXTOUR

How to reproduce the issue:
Play a track through the MIXTOUR. Move the filter knob all the way to high pass, then back a few millimeters.

Hi @TheRumbler, thanks for the details about your setup, the issue and the video. This is very helpful. This seems like an issue with the Mixtour hardware or with your cables.

1. How exactly is your Mixtour connected to the iPad? Are you using any adapters? Please share as much detail as possible. Pictures of all connections would be ideal.
  2. Have you tried using a different USB cable?
  3. Is your iPad also connected to power and charging normally or are you running the Mixtour of the iPad internal battery?
  4. Does the same audio glitch happen when using the Filter knob on the Mixtour?
  5. Have you tried a different audio cable between your Mixtour and your speaker?

Hi @TheRumbler, I’m following up on my message above from a week ago. Are you still experiencing this issue?

soryr. missed this message

1. How exactly is your Mixtour connected to the iPad? Are you using any adapters? Please share as much detail as possible. Pictures of all connections would be ideal.
    Using HyperDrive GEN2 10-in-1 USB-C Docking Station

2. Have you tried using a different USB cable?
    I have not tried a different USB cable (yet)

3. Is your iPad also connected to power and charging normally or are you running the Mixtour of the iPad internal battery?
    Plugged into power via the power delivery port on the hub

4. Does the same audio glitch happen when using the Filter knob on the Mixtour?
    Yes, the same glitch happens when using the filter knob on the Mixtour

5. Have you tried a different audio cable between your Mixtour and your speaker?
    I have not, yet.

will try different USB hub/adapter, different USB cable, and different audio cable. I’ll reply tomorrow.

Thank you for responding!

Thanks for the reply and additional info @TheRumbler. I’ll wait for your reply tomorrow before we troubleshoot this any further. Thanks!

thank you, @Slak_Jaw for advising on debugging techniques.

I’m quite embarrassed that I didn’t think of that, too.

I tried the below two steps:

• swapped USB cable :x: no fix: audio while adjusting filter/FX still glitches
  • removed USB-C extension cable :x:

Turns out it’s the HyperDrive GEN2 10-in-1 USB-C Docking Station which is the problem!

I don’t understand how? Do some USB hubs mess with the signal?

I should ask Hyper?

You’re welcome @TheRumbler. Glad that solved your issue. I would reach out to Hyper, but yeah there could be some internal interference or simply signal loss/degradation. Sometimes cables and hubs just start to fail over time as well. Anyway, glad we sorted it out!