Hardware for Android - Why isn't there a killer product?

Hi,

I am a Serato laptop user but really in less formal settings I would like to turn up with my phone and a small controller with an audio interface like the size Hercules.

Requirements:

Plug into USB port on bottom of phone
Output Stereo Main Mix
Output a Headphone Jack for pre-cuing

As far as I can tell there is nothing on the market that does this - it would seem this would sell (edit) loads - is there some hardware limitation stopping this or is it a software limitation that djay means this product cannot be built?

The only other options seems getting a USB hub to plug into the phone and getting USB → Audio out interfaces to plug into the hub because apparantly djay will detect multiple interfaces and then that will allow me to assign those to different things like a stereo out and a headphone monitor but I can’t find anyone who has done this already which makes me think it’s not possible.

@kilburnflyer it seems to me after reading most of the Android related posts on this forum, that it’s a limitation with the Android hardware/platform. If you really want to use a phone or tablet for DJing, currently your best option is to get an Apple device.

1 Like

That’s ironic. You’d think Android devices would be more open in terms of direct hardware access than Apple.

Well, what I think is that the Android audio/video related stuff is specified way too open, that manufactures just don’t care if products have additional advanced features for audio routing that DJ’s would need.

I.e. requirements for such audio routing might be “optional” and not needed for device to be “Android device”

1 Like

You mean there isn’t enough consistency between devices so it’s too difficult to support?

Yes, this is what Algoriddim have stated. They basically said that there are too many variations of android for them to be able to support it correctly.

I think the most annoying thing is that their google play page still seems to suggest that everything works as it should and its only after you purchase the app and a controller that you realise that this is not the case.

Algoriddim did originally tell me that they were working on a fix but that was several years ago and eventually they told me that my controller won’t ever work and then from that point just ingnored my emails.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming - what do you think of my idea of usb to multiple audio interfaces - long shot?

Most class compliant audio interfaces work with android. Use an otg adapter and a powered hub for the best results. I’ve personally been able to use an audio 10, motu m2, Behringer uca222 on android in the past.

Thanks for your reply. Is is true that djay will text multiples in puts and output and let you assign them to different features

E.g. on a 4 output interface I can assign 1 pair to main mix out and 1 pair to cue?

Yes, but keep in mind all inputs have to be on the same interface and all outputs have to be on the same interface.

1 Like