Add "Anti-Drift" option for rotating platters

Hello, has anyone else experienced drift issues?

Here is my message to Algoriddim with the drift issue.

Hello,

thank you for your nice app. Sad to say that I have problems with my new Hercules Inpulse T7 using Algoriddim DJAY.

I have experienced some kind of drift when using the controller with the pro app on my Ipad.

The drift can be reproduced when playing the same track at the same time at the same speed. The two tracks become offbeat by slightly drifting apart.

With my other Controller Numark Mixtrack Platinum FX there is no drift when using the app on my Ipad.

Also there is no drift on the Hercules T7 when using Serato on my PC. In Serato there is a setting called “Vinyl Control” - “Anti-Drift”. When the setting is checked there is no drift in Serato, but when unchecked, it will drift apart just like in Algoriddim. I think there need to be something like Anti-Drift mode for Algoriddim, mainly because of the motorized platterns on the Hercules T7.

I welcome any help. I love your app, and I love the Hercules T7. I hope there is some kind of fix for this problem.

I don’t want to use the sync function and want to beatmatch by myself, but for now I can’t do it…

kind regards
markus

I have attached a youtube link showing the drift issue on an Iphone 14 with all the latest ios and algoriddim updates.

Thank you for helping,
markez

2 Likes

Hi @markez, thanks for the details about the issue and the video - this is very helpful. Please provide complete details about your setup so we can properly try to reproduce and troubleshoot this on our end. Thanks!

Device Model (ex. 2020 iPad Air 4th Gen):
Version of operating system (ex. iOS 17.3.1):
Version of djay (ex. 5.1.3):
Hardware/controllers used (ex. Reloop Ready):
Hardware Firmware Version:

Also, I have moved this post to it’s own topic so we can keep the conversation organized.

1 Like

Hi @Slak_Jaw,

thank you for your reply. I’ve tested the drift scenario on an iPad and an iPhone, both behave the same. The drift is on both devices with no difference.

Here are the details of the setup:

First:

Iphone 14
17.5.1 and 17.6
Hercules Inpulse T7
HDJCSeries PC [2023.HDJS.2 - Windows 10-11] ASIO drivers // PC - Hercules DJ Series Drivers - 2023.HDJS.2 (June 2023)

Second:

2018 iPad 6th Gen
15.7 and 17.6
Hercules Inpulse T7
HDJCSeries PC [2023.HDJS.2 - Windows 10-11] ASIO drivers // PC - Hercules DJ Series Drivers - 2023.HDJS.2 (June 2023)

Kind regards,
markez

1 Like

You’re welcome @markez. Thanks for the additional details. I’ve shared this with engineering so they can try to replicate your issue.

1. Does this happen with any song or only with certain songs?
  2. What is the source of these songs (ex. local MP3s stored on device, TIDAL streaming, FLAC files stored on an external drive, etc.)?
2 Likes

@Slak_Jaw thank you again.

1. It happens with any song.
  2. I’ve tried it with mp3 directly from the device and with streaming services.
1 Like

Hi again @markez, I spoke with engineering and this is currently expected behavior due to the natural drift caused by 2 independently spinning motors. However, they are investigating options for improving this behavior. Also, I have changed this topic from a Question to a Suggestion so that you and other users can vote for adding an “Anti-Drift” feature to djay. Thanks!

1 Like

Please also refer to the attached video regarding anti-drift. Trying to correct a physical inadequacy of independently rotating motors does come at the cost of creating cue drift which is a common pattern in motorized controllers or DVS. This always results in super specific, hard to understand settings so we’d like users to be aware of this before we consider implementing something like this.

1 Like

I agree, I have the T7 and have the same mild frustration. I work around it by setting sync to BPM lock only and engaging sync after manually beat matching.

Maybe there could be a new radio button in settings with two options which disable each other to indicate they are mutually exclusive.

O Anti Cue Drift
O Anti Play drift

1 Like