How play music offline?

Hi,
What is the solution for playing music offline on djay?
TIDAL is fine for streaming, but need a solution for when playing somewhere where there is no wifi.

Currently trying to figure out how to transfer bought music from Apple Music on iMac into their iPad Mini2 app, looks like that could be a potential solution, but Apple being Apple they put obstacles in the way at every turn.

Thanks.

As I understand it, there isn’t anything Algoriddim can do about this, because playing offline content from one app via another app, in this case djay accessing Tidal / SoundCloud / etc data, is forbidden by Apple’s Terms of Service. Something to do with an app (djay) not being allowed to access the data of another (Tidal’s offline music).

3 Likes

Thanks for replying. Think I’ve worked it out. You can’t download the offline versions of Apple Music streamed music and play those through djay. But you can, as has been the case for years, go into the iTunes Store and buy them tunes - then play them through djay.

2 Likes

Hi @allybally,

As mentioned by @MarkyPancake, it’s technically not possible to use streaming services in djay without an active internet connection. The reason is that due to “sandboxing”, a security feature, apps have absolutely no access to each other’s workspace. This means that djay has no access to the songs you download in other streaming service apps. These songs are only available for the streaming service app itself. For this reason, in order to use the streaming integrations in djay, an ongoing connection to the internet is necessary.

Just to let you know, djay’s integration with Beatsource LINK and Beatport LINK does allow for some offline access. Please note these integrations are only available currently in the latest versions of djay Pro AI on iOS and Mac. To access up to 100 tracks from offline storage, a Beatsource/Beatport LINK Pro or Beatsource/Beatport LINK Pro+ subscription is required. You can find more information about this on our website:

https://www.algoriddim.com/beatsource

https://www.algoriddim.com/beatport

And you can of course always use your own purchased locally stored tracks in djay without needing an active internet connection.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. :headphones:

2 Likes

Thanks for replying. The Apple music software is of course awful, I mean so bad, but I think in this case the key part is that you can’t play music from other streaming services through djay. What I think you can do is play music you have bought from, for example, the iTunes Store - because you’ve bought the rights to use the file. That’s the only offline solution I can work out.

Noting that Emily already referenced locally stored, bought tracks.

the solution to the problem is simple: forget all streaming services, connect an external HD, and the problem is solved!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.