I had the program shut down on me twice last night, while I was DJing

They released 4.1.1 yesterday

I know thank you, I wrote it last night and it was waiting for approval from the admin. I have another gig tomorrow night, so I hope everything will be ok.

Unfortunately, this won’t help you all right now, but I’ve been in the exact same boat with djay updates in the past. I’ve been burned with crashes during important gigs or felt the stress of an upcoming gig with major djay bugs. Algoriddim has no way to rollback to older versions of the software. This has been asked for many times in the past and I don’t expect the answer to change anytime soon. So now before updating to the newest djay version I always do the following:

1. I perform a full backup of my iOS device via iTunes/Music to my laptop (or Time Machine for macOS). Sometimes I even copy the iOS backup file to a USB to ensure it doesn’t get accidentally overwritten. Do NOT rely on iCloud backups alone, because these are often automatically overwritten without you realizing. Now if I have an issue with djay I can roll back to a previous iOS backup.
  2. I turn OFF automatic app updates so I can control when I want to update djay.
  3. I never update if I have an important gig in the next 2 weeks.
  4. I test out the new djay version on my iPhone or MacBook first to see if there are any issues before updating my iPad. I never update all of my devices at the same time.
  5. Only after I have tested on my iPhone and/or thoroughly read people’s experience with the latest version on here, do I consider updating.
  6. If you make money DJing or consider it your profession, it’s your responsibility to take control of the situation to mitigate risks. It’s just like planning for “what-if” scenarios in your live gigs. Be prepared and have a backup plan.
  7. Unfortunately, bugs are a part of software. Ideally Algoriddim would do a better job of beta testing first, but you have to remember this is a small company, not Pioneer. They don’t have the same resources. This software is used with a large variety of DJ hardware, iOS, macOS, Windows and Android devices with different OS versions. Testing every last combination of configurations is simply not feasible so bugs sneak through. Thankfully they have recently expanded their user Beta Test program so hopefully major bugs will be reduced going forward.

Anyway, hopefully this helps you in the future to take control and avoid most of these situations.

3 Likes

There is the new update out which claims to fix the problem of the app crashing. Question is should we update?

If you’re already on 4.1 and are experiencing a major bug, then I would definitely update to 4.1.1.

Still 2 or 3 versions back on the main iPad but up to date on the iPhone

I have a gig this week and just not sure if I want to update. Looking forward to your comments and suggestions here

@Djdash are you experiencing major bugs or crashes with your current version? If not, I would stay on the current version until after your gig. If your current version is stable, I’d do a full backup as I described early so you have a stable version to roll back to.

If you’re having crashes then I would definitely recommend updating after you do a backup.

All is fine with the old version

1 Like

Newest update 4.1.1 for iOS will instantly crash when selecting a track from the library, then choosing to load on deck 1 or 2 while a track is already playing on that deck. Don’t update.

1 Like

Unfortunately this indeed slipped though our testing. We’re working to get this fixed as quickly as possible, but in the meantime if you’re running 4.1.1 please disable the “protect active deck” option, or otherwise make sure to never select “load” in the deck protection alert. My apologies for any issues this is causing.

With the above caveat, I would still advise to update to 4.1.1 to avoid any stability issues if you are using a MIDI controller with jog wheels.

2 Likes

All good, as long as it gets addressed right away and we’re aware the source of the problem. At least I’m able to avoid it. Someone on the community Facebook page replicated what made it crash, so that gave me some insight.

djay 4.1.2 for iOS is now available on the App Store with a fix for loading with “Protect Active Deck” enabled. We’re very sorry for this mishap and will try to make sure this doesn’t happen again in the future.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.