As seem in many Facebook pages this problem seems to be getting worse and effecting more people.
Essentially I use an iPad Pro 12.9 and while other iPads have this issue, this one seems to be the most common. The error occurres now in about 70-90% of my tunes since I did the iOS/Djay pro update in 2/8/20 …out of the top 10 songs in the Beatport chart, only 1 would load. I then restarted the app and the iPad and slightly better results in the top 10 but about the same overall with the top 20…so songs that didn’t work before the restart now sometimes work and others now don’t.
The problem isn’t just the top 100 chart but also my playlists…both Beatport and Algoriddem have been in constant contact with me but responses are so slow that after 2 months we haven’t got anywhere, and when your a pro DJ who wants to stream, there is no way I’m switching to this set-up as I can’t be restarting iPads and apps mid session.
This is clearly a big issue (a quick google it look around on Facebook and DJ Blogs shows that), but as many are saying - the issue must be simple to fix, and is even listed as a bug fix in the last update (my tests shows it’s worse), and as more people move towards iOS and especially iPad pro’s (due to there processing power and cheaper cost plus mobility), if Djay Pro is going to keep people onboard this has to be sorted.
I know it’s probably an interlinked issues with Beatport, Algoriddem and Apple but in my experience it always goes back to an Apple issue. Either way all 3 parties need to get dev on this quickly before forums fill up with complaints.