iOS / iPadOS DVS Mode with Phase DJ Not Working

• Device model: iPhone 15 Pro
  • Version of operating system: iOS 17.5.1
  • Version of djay: 5.2.1
  • Hardware/controllers used: Phase DJ, Pioneer DJM S7, Technics 1210

Issue Description

I’ve encountered an issue with DVS control via Phase DJ connected to my DJM S7. Specifically, the DJM S7 doesn’t seem to pick up the DVS signal from the Phase Remote, resulting in the loaded track not playing.

Current Workaround

There is a workaround, though it’s a bit cumbersome. As outlined in this video by soulo1200s, the solution involves the following steps:

1. Connect the DJM S7 to a computer with the DJM S7 Setting Utility installed.
  2. In the utility, change the control tone from PHONO to LINE for USB 1/2 and USB 3/4.
  3. This setting remains in the utility but resets to PHONO on the mixer each time it’s rebooted.

To re-enable the LINE setting, I need to:

1. Connect the DJM S7 to my laptop and open the DJM S7 Setting Utility (no changes needed).
  2. Disconnect the mixer from the laptop and connect my iPhone with djay open.

This process ensures the DVS setup works as expected. I’ve documented this in a step-by-step screenshot guide, including a screenshot at Step #10 showing the issue where there is no signal on Channel 1, preventing the track from playing.

Additional Observation

I’ve also tried connecting the RCA outputs from Phase DJ directly to the Phono inputs on the DJM S7. Surprisingly, this setup results in a square signal appearing in the Calibration screen on the djay app, and the track plays successfully.

Reason for Reporting

1. Convenience: Bringing a laptop to gigs just to switch the DJM S7 settings is not ideal. I’m looking for a more streamlined solution.
  2. Verification: I’m curious if the PHONO signal workaround is a valid alternative, even though it might not be the intended setup.