iPad Mini 6 USB-C + Pioneer WeGO4 USB-A = No Connection

Anyone have experience in new USB-C iPads and older USB-A/B controllers?

I’ve been using an older 2018 iPad Gen 6 via Lightning cable to WeGO4 USB-A without problems for years.

On new iPad mini 6 with USB-C, there’s no communication and djay can’t see the controller via USB-A.

I’m connecting via a simple USB-C to USB-A cable. Shouldn’t the new cable be transferring data just like the Lightning to USB-A cable used to?

Or is there a problem with new iPad and old controller with djay as the governing middleman?

I notice that the WeGO4 is still listed on the Algoriddim compatibility page.

I also read that some are using multi-connection hubs that attach via USB-C to iPad and then controllers attach to that. I’d either have to get a USB-A male to male cable (or USB-A to USB-C if the hub has a USB-C data female plug).

Ugh, this is getting complicated when it used to be so simple.

Found a solution: USB-B. My WeGO4 controller supports USB-A or USB-B connection. I had an old USB-A male to USB-B male cable (sometimes called a printer cable) plus found a USB-C male to USB-A female adapter dongle.

So, adapter dongle plugs into iPad via USB-C dongle, then USB-A of cable into the dongle, and USB-B side of cable into controller.

I never tried this with my old Lightning iPad since it worked with Lightning male in iPad to USB-A male in controller (and I don’t have an adapter dongle to go from Lightning male to USB-A female so I never tried that).

I ordered a USB-C male to USB-B male cable so I can nix the dongle.

Still wondering why the simple solution of USB-C in iPad to USB-A in controller doesn’t just work like how it did with my old Lightning iPad before. Oh well, technology…

1 Like

Also just discovered that the 2 USB-C to USB-A cables I had must have been power only cables for some reason or some other issue that limited data transfer.

I bought a good quality cable and it worked so ensuring you have a proper cable is key if same thing happens to others.

This was surprising. Why are manufacturers making limited use cables? Sacrificing standard compatibility on something as basic as a cable to save a few cents is absolute madness and creates effed-up chaos for next to no reason!

Why would you think that USB-C to USB-A cable will make the USB-A device behave like USB-C?

It’s always wise versa i.e backward compability point of view.

If new device with USB-C is connected to USB-A port, the USB-C device should work in backward compatible mode i.e in USB-A mode.

Because USB-A port can’t be changed to USB-B, or USB-C without changing the inside electronics in the corresponding device.

So USB-A has limitations like data transfer speed and all USB-A ports behaves according it’s standard specification as USB-A port.

And you can connect old USB-A device to USB-C device, but in that case the USB-C port will be backward compatible and behave like USB-A port as the old device would assume.

Maybe I’m not understanding your response but I just reported that I bought another USB-C to USB-A cable and it works directly into controller with iPad 6 Mini (just as I used to do with Lightning to USB-A via my old iPad Gen 6).

Also note that USB-C to USB-B worked immediately with cables I had available which was also reported above after testing.

So this tells me why I “think USB-C to USB-A cable will make the USB-A device behave like USB-C.” Because it does apparently as I carefully tested and reported with success.

True, there are bad cables and good cables and it’s a mess to try find out the working one.

My explanation was little bit short but

The problem is that we do have (USB - Wikipedia)
USB-A connectors which supports different USB specification which defines the speed limit.

If Type-A connector supports USB-1.1 specification, it has the maximum transfer rate 12 Mbps.
If Type-A connector supports USB-2.0 specification, it has the maximum transfer rate 480 Mbps.

And USB-A “superspeed” connector supports USB-3.1 specification, it has the maximum transfer rate 10 Gbps

So yes, most probably current new devices with Type A connector (should) support the USB 2.0 Revised specification, but you can’t just see it by looking up the connector how the device works.
It really needs reading technical specification or contacting the vendor to get information what USB standard the device supports.

So if the Type A connector supports USB 2.0 (or 2.0 revised), the USB-C device with USB port specified by USB 3.2 standard will be backward compatible and work according to that USB 2.0 specification standard limiting the transfer speed to max 480 Mbps.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.