iPhone performance

As I am now completely hooked on Djay, I’m looking to switch from my current android phone to an iPhone.
Seems like it could be really handy for tweaks, set planning etc on the fly.
I’ve always used android so my knowledge of iPhones is very limited.
Not looking for anything too up to the minute, probably a decent condition refurb like an 11 or 12.
Suggestions and feedback on any recommended and non recommended models and any performances issues would be greatly appreciated.

I’d suggest going for the newest model that you can, in order to get the longest use out of it, and ensure that all the new fangled features of DJay Pro work.

If you go for one of the older models, it may be fine right now, but eventually you will run into an issue where new OS updates cannot be installed, followed slowly by not being able to update apps because they require an OS newer than the version you are running.

This may well take some time, but eventually it will happen.

Sound advice.
I’m not used to spending a ton on a phone but it does all equate over time.
They go down to 13 from new on Apples homepage so I guess I’d get some mileage out of that.

How Is the app for setting cue points loops etc?
I’ve just moved my streaming collection from tidal to Apple. Some info has remained but a lot has been lost.
I’d rather focus on solid practice at home so really looking to be able to perform the more mundane workload at given opportunities like lunch breaks, stuck in a queue, sneaky pints etc.

Hi @daniel_curley, you might also want to refer to this article regarding iOS devices and Neural Mix quality levels:

As far as setting Hot Cues and Loops on iPhone, I do this a lot when I’m on the go and don’t have my iPad with me. The workflow and layout is very similar to iPad.

Looks perfect. I’m sold!
Thanks for that.

1 Like

You’re welcome @daniel_curley

1 Like

This is powerful. How do you manage your library so the prepped tracks are available on iPad then? I haven’t solved doing track prep on one platform and having easy sync across devices.

@The_seanwolf I mainly use Beatport LINK these days so the library management is quite simple. I just manually copy the djay Media Library database file between my iPhone and iPad to keep everything in sync. For local music, I use iTunes on my laptop and sync the music to both iOS devices that way.

1 Like

Hi buddy, can you go over your process with local music in Apple as I always seem to get sync issues. I create a playlist on Mac in Apple Music and sync on my iPad and iPhone. Almost 10 out of 10 times it won’t sync to my iPhone. I have to log out of Apple Music on my Mac and log back in. This usually solves it. What’s your experience with it?

Where is the Djay media library database stored on iPhone and iPad? This could make a big difference. I don’t stream music but link to Dropbox, it works ok but is cumbersome. Copying/updating the database seems like it might be the key

@The_seanwolf, open the Files App on your iOS device, navigate to On My iPhone>djay>User Data.

Save your frustration, you do not need an old Used phone

1 Like

As mentioned, I don’t really add new local music anymore so my workflow might not be of much relevance. However, I did use a wired connection to my laptop when performing iTunes/Music library syncing and I did not use iCloud or Apple Music Match. There are also several topics on this forum where users share their best practices for local library management. Try running some searches and reading through some of these…

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll try the hard wire tip.

1 Like