iPhone Remote for djay on iPad

No, not right.
Frustrated they would be if the competition offer this functionality first to their end users.

1 Like

MIDIMITTR SETUP PROCEDURE: Here’s how to make the Bluetooth MIDI connection between iPhone and iPad.

1. First instal midimittr app on both iPhone and iPad.
  2. Turn Bluetooth ON for both devices.
  3. Navigate to iOS Settings>midimittr> and ensure ALLOW MIDIMITTTR TO ACCESS: Bluetooth is turned ON for both devices.
  4. Open midimittr on iPhone and navigate to Advertise at the bottom then turn ON Advertise MIDI Service.
  5. Now open midimittr on iPad and navigate to Devices at the bottom then select the Not Connected text near the top right to connect. As mentioned at the top of this post, Bluetooth can be finicky. Sometimes you need to turn Bluetooth OFF on both devices, close both midimittr apps and start over to make a successful connection.

TOUCHOSC SETUP PROCEDURE: Here’s how to setup TouchOSC.

1. Purchasing the app on either device give you access to it on both devices assuming you are using the same AppleID.
  2. You need to have it installed on the iPhone for sure, but I prefer to use the TouchOSC Editor on iPad for doing any GUI work.
  3. Using the iOS Files App, download and move the .tosc file to: On My iPhone>TouchOSC

4. Now open open TouchOSC on iPhone and follow the image steps below to open the .tosc file:

5. Once opened, swipe to the right on the top menu bar to reveal the Play button icon.

6. NOTE: This TouchOSC layout is designed to work only in Landscape Mode so be sure to rotate the iPhone to properly scale the GUI.
  7. To return to Editor Mode, press the small circle at the top right near the EQ tab. Unfortunately, this button is very close to the EQ tab, so you need to be careful not to accidentally press it when trying to access the EQ menu for Deck B. Alternatively, you can rotate to Portrait mode to make this button easier to select.

DJAY PRO AI SETUP PROCEDURE: Here’s the setup procedure for loading the MIDI Mapping into djay. EDIT: Nov 13, 2013. See Post #34 below for how to make the mapping file work on your specific iOS device. iPhone Remote for djay on iPad - #34 by CliffyPop

1. Using the iOS Files App on iPad, download and move the .djayMidiMapping file to the djay folder: On My iPad>djay

2. Open djay Pro AI and navigate to: Settings>MIDI Devices>”Name of Your iPhone” Bluetooth>MIDI CONFIGURATION> and select the MIDI Mapping file that you downloaded here.

3. Assuming the Bluetooth connection is working properly, you should now be able to use the iPhone as a wireless controller for djay Pro AI on iPad.
  4. In my experience, once you’ve done all of these steps once, djay seems to remember so you only need to make sure the midimittr connection is working between both devices for each session.

No response from Algoriddim Staff on the .tosc file format so I have uploaded a DropBox link in the first post. Hopefully this works.

@heysoundude here you go!

I’m going to try to find the time to set this up and test it before next weekend…I’ll get back to you with any issues I might find or need explaining.

THANK YOU!

1 Like

Hey would this work with android phone and djay on iPad…the touchosc app is on play store but hesitant to spend 12£ on it if it only works with iPhone

Thanks
Ben

It should work via Android, but I don’t have an Android phone to test it with. The main challenge I could see is making the wireless connection between Android and iOS. I’m using midimittr on iOS, so I’d check to see if that app is also available on Android first.

Thanks bro

Ah no that’s not on the play store :frowning:

Thanks anyway

@Ben4 you’re welcome. Before you give up, I’d read through the TouchOSC manual and FAQ to see if there’s anything about making a wireless MIDI connection between Android and iOS. Also, the Hexler.com customer support is very responsive so you could simply send them an email.

V4-Update: This latest update includes tabs for the Looper, Sampler and Library controls. New .tosc and MIDI Mapping files can be found in the first post above.

First off, this is an amazing amount of work and such a gift. I just downloaded V4 assets. Thank you, @Slak_Jaw!

My problem: I can’t do the last step of loading the djayMIDIMapping file under MIDI Configs.

I can get my iPhone and iPad to communicate with midimittr that matches the directions here. I’ve also downloaded the djayMINIMapping file to my iPad local Files directory. But that’s where I’m stuck.

When I goto iPad djay > Settings > Midi Devices > [my phone’s bluetooth listing] >MIDI configuration, I only see the same phone Bluetooth item. There’s no way to select the downloaded MIDI mapping file or do much of anything.

Here’s a Dropbox screen capture video to illustrate.

If I select it, I can only edit the name of that bluetooth profile. I can’t delete it even though there’s a way to trash it. If I hit the Play button in TouchOSC nothing happens despite a successful bluetooth connection being reported.

Any idea what’s wrong here?

Running latest iOS 17.1 on both phone/iPad and latest djay v4.1.10 and TouchOSC.

1 Like

Still struggling with getting djay on iPad to see the midimapping file for the iPhone. Mapping file never appears no matter what I do in djay MIDI Config settings.

I’ve repeatedly force-quit djay and restarts of iPad. Not sure what else to try.

Could there be something wrong with the iPhone V4 mapping file so that djay can’t use it? I don’t see any links to download previous versions to test.

Hey @CliffyPop, you’re welcome!

1. The MIDI Mapping file needs to be copied into the Location: On My iPad>djay folder. Can you please provide a screen shot showing where you have this saved?

2. Next you need to go to the MIDI DEVICES section NOT the BLUETOOTH section (see below).

3. From here you’ll be able to load the MIDI Mapping file that you put in the djay folder (see below)

@CliffyPop you’re navigating to the wrong section:

Thanks for replying! In the previous video, I went to the iPad djay Bluetooth section just to show midimittr was connected properly with the iPhone. You can see how there’s no V4 config file selectable in the last few seconds of the video.

Here’s what I’m doing exactly:

I downloaded Slak’s iPhone djay Remote-V4.djayMidiMapping and placed via iPad File app into On My iPad > djay folder. I assume this should make it available to djay on the iPad.

Then, after ensuring midimittr is running on both devices, I’m launching iPad djay, going to settings, and finally MIDI Configurations.

The configuration is never there though. See below in new video.

Screen capture video 2–showing Files app with iPhone midi mapping file

@CliffyPop

1. My guess is that you will need to rename my MIDI mapping to CPop’s iPhone 13Pro Bluetooth.djayMidiMapping for it to show up.
  2. Also you could try creating an edit of your existing default CPop’s iPhone 13Pro Bluetooth MIDI mapping and saving it with a different name. Then navigate to the djay folder from the files app to confirm the edit is there.

Ugh, this is challenging. Can’t get it to work still after a couple of methods tried.

FILENAME UPDATE:
Changing the name of your V4 midi map file to match the bluetooth connection label did not work.

FILE DATA SWAP:
With iPad djay MIDI Configuration open and then running your TouchOSC profile on the iPhone, I can get iPad djay to create a new configuration file in On My iPad > djay (it even appended a “1” to the end of its favored filename: CPop’s iPhone 13Pro Bluetooth 1.djayMidiMapping so as not to overwrite the one I renamed from step 1 above).

Moreover on this newly created map file, I can successfully map the movement of iPhone TouchOSC interface onto djay controls and it works across restarts (I mapped the crossfader and deck 1/2 line volume controls to your faders).

Then I tried to move that newly created midi map file to my Mac for editing. I copied all of the data in your iPhone V4 midi map file into the new map file iPad djay just created AND kept the same the filename.

After transferring back to iPad to the same location where it was created at by djay it didn’t work. When I load djay and goto MIDI Configuration, the same CPop’s iPhone 13Pro Bluetooth item appears. If I leave settings and return to djay, now there’s no control anymore.

In other words, I made a config file that worked between iPad and iPhone running TouchOSC. But, once I changed the data in that file with what was in your map, it fails.

Weird and confusing.

@CliffyPop well that is super weird. I would try this.

1. Duplicate the default mapping then select and rename it to something really simple like “iPad-Remote1”.
  2. Close the djay app.
  3. Within the Files App move my MIDI mapping to a different folder than the djay one.
  4. Then rename it exactly the same as the new mapping you just created.
  5. Finally, use the Move command to move my mapping with the new name back to the djay folder with your mapping.
  6. When prompted, select Replace to replace your mapping with mine.
1 Like