Is it possible to load a specific song via a MIDI Controller?

I use Djay Pro for Mac OS with a Reloop controller, and I am considering purchasing a Launchpad Mini.
Besides managing the Neural Mix in the Launchpad, I would also love to be able to load specific songs using specific buttons of the controller. I know there is a feature to load the selected song, but I would like to map the song to the button. In case you are wondering, the type of work I do requires me to have the specific song for the specific moment readily available, and sometimes it takes too long to search for it and load it to the deck.
I know VirtualDJ does it via their scripting language, but honestly, I would prefer to keep Djay Pro.

The only alternative I can think of is turning the songs into samples, but that is a laborious task (I would be loading around 100 tracks).

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

If you’re doing this for 100 different tracks, surely it’s just as laborious to script MIDI for 100 different buttons as it is to use 100 samples?

Not exactly.
Every song would need to be added to a sample first, and then mapped. That is another step. Also, we lose a few things by doing so - since I often want a specific part of the song, I would have to cut it beforehand to start playing at that spot. That’s like 10x the effort.
I also lose the playback controls I would have if I could just load it to the deck, on the pre-defined cue-point.

If you really need to load a track faster than you can search a dedicated playlist, you would be better off using Ableton Live or MainStage (plus a dedicated 2nd controller). Ableton Live is the go-to for this sort of thing, but in MainStage, you can make your own custom interface. (Both are macOS apps).

In iOS: Logic Pro, GarageBand, RemixLive, FL Studio. There are live musician apps that can play backing tracks: Camelot Pro, Gig Performer or Cantabile.

MainStage is sort of a hidden no-brainer if you’re into music making by the way. It has basically every instrument and effect that Logic Pro has, for a fraction of the price. It’ll give you an insane amount of sonic inspiration.

1 Like

Gig Performer is no-brainer here. It allows you to send or receive audio to or from various apps using the GPRelayer. Not only you can load a specific backing track, but also stream tens of thousands backing tracks from a disk - zero RAM impact.

1 Like

You learn something new every day. I’ve been around for a while, but I’d never heard of this tool. Nice.

Thanks for this. I ended up using both Djay Pro and Ableton Live, plus a secondary controller.