Legal Terms Djay + Spotify Support

Need info about legal terms on Djay 2 + Spotify. I have Premium user account, and i would like to use my playlists on my Dj sets. Once Spotify legal terms refers that public distribution is not aloud ( as far i understand it… note sure ).
I would appreciate your awnsers cause i’ve two gigs next week!

Given the launch of djay Pro today (with Spotify Integration - which as stated by you is the first pro app integration), can anyone from Algoriddim provide further info regarding the legal implications of using Spotify in a public/commercial environment?

See article “…using spotify at events”. This article reads as follows:

[2010-10] After noticing the type of search terms that have brought googlers to my last post about Spotify (using Spotify at events), I’ve decided to investigate this area a little further and hope this clears up any confusion – because I must admit after looking at their website, I was still a little confused!

So I emailed Spotify to find out, when is it legal for users to play music through Spotify at events? After a couple of emails, back and forth, this was their response:

“as long as the party is not public and/or commercial, you are allowed to use Spotify…Anytime you would need a licence to play music, you are not allowed to use Spotify”

If there are any pub Landlords or Managers wanting to play Spotify in their bar, I’m afraid it clearly states on Spotify’s website that Spotify is only for personal, non-commercial use.

So then I had a look on the ‘PRS for Music’ website to find out when you don’t need a licence to play music:

“PRS for Music does not make a charge for functions of a purely domestic or family nature, such as wedding receptions, christening parties or domestic birthday parties, when:

• Attendance of guests is by personal invitation only (except for staff, performers, etc.)
• The function is held in a privately-booked room, not at that time open to the general public
• There is no form of charge made for admission
• There is no financial gain to the function’s organizer or host (e.g. the person hiring the venue)”

If you decide to do any further reading on this, the term ‘domestic environment’ is frequently used on this subject, so while I’m on a roll, this is what is meant by ‘domestic environment’ (thanks ‘PRS for Music’ again!):

“There is no specific legal definition of a public performance. However, PRS for Music would consider your domestic environment to include your own home (assuming it is not also your workplace or a registered business address), a private vehicle or private gatherings or events with family and friends.”

When I found out that Spotify doesn’t allow public performance/ DJ gigs using the Premium account I immediatly cancelled my subscription. There’s absolutely no use for it in the DJ world and I’m actually quite disappointed that Algoriddim does give a false impression on the unlimited use of Spotify for DJs in their advertising.
I was so close to even buy a HW controller that supports Djay…luckily I found out early enough.
I do not risk my job because of legal issues…there are plenty of streaming/ download services they have copyright clearance for DJs I.e. Pulselocker w/Serato.
It costs more, yes - but I’m happy to pay the double compared to Spotify and don’t have to think about this anymore.

Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately, we cannot give you any legal advice on this matter. I recommend consulting with Spotify directly regarding this matter.

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Legality of DJing private events with Spotify.

There are several DJ groups that I am a member of on Facebook and a lot of people are saying because of Spotify’s User Agreement it is illegal to DJ private events and public events with Spotify, can you confirm or deny this?

Seems useless if we can only use this in the bedroom.