Linking DDJ-FLX4 to iPad Mini

• iPad Mini 4th Gen
  • iOS 15.8.2
  • djay version 5.2.2
  • Pioneer DDJ-FLX4

After a few weeks of playing around with djay on iPad I’ve taken the plunge and invested in a controller, but I’m having trouble setting it up. I started as follows:

1. Used black USB-C > USB-C cable supplied to connect to power
  2. Connected controller to iPad using an Apple USB-C > Lightning cable
  3. Connection was established as iPad was receiving power via the controller. However the controller wasn’t functioning - I could only operate djay via iPad screen, not the controller buttons. No audio coming from headphones connected to controller, only the iPad speaker
  4. I disconnected the cable connecting the iPad and controller and connected via Bluetooth instead
  5. This worked - I was now able to operate djay via the controller
  6. However the sound was still only coming from the iPad speaker, not the headphones plugged into the controller
  7. The Bluetooth connection has now dropped. On djay, when I go to settings > MIDI devices > Bluetooth MIDI devices, the DDJ-FLX4 is listed. However it says ‘not connected’ on the right and when I click to connect, it attempts to do so but after a few seconds returns to ‘not connected’ status

So where might I be going wrong here? At present there are three issues:

1. Unable to connect use controller on iPad when connected via cables
  2. Bluetooth connection between controller and iPad no longer working
  3. Even when successfully connected via Bluetooth, audio only coming from iPad speaker, not controller headphones

My preference would be to connect via cables as I’ve read on this forum that Bluetooth connections can lead to latency. All suggestions gratefully received!

UPDATE
I’ve now connected with my iPhone via cable and that works well - but again there’s no audio through the headphones connected to the controller so I’ve used my Airpods connected to the phone. The wired headphones definitely work - I’ve tested them on a different device. So either there’s a problem with the output socket or (more likely) a setting somewhere which I’ve got wrong?

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Unable to connect iPad to Pioneer FLX4 with USB-C Cable.

Merged with another closely related topic: Unable to connect iPad to Pioneer FLX4