Major Lag / Choppiness issue solved, possible cause identified

My setup:
Apple M2 Pro 14" Macbook Pro / 32GB RAM
MacOS Sonoma 14.6.1
djay 5.2.3
Hercules Inpulse T7 / Rane Performer / Pioneer DDJ SB3

TLDR: Turn off iCloud sync.

For months I’ve been having lag issues with Djay Pro where every time I used the app, everything from scrolling through my library to hitting cue points to turning knobs would be choppy for the first few hours after the app was launched. I noticed the lag/chop seemed to happen at a regular time interval of about every 4 seconds. The time displays on the track would even freeze for a moment, but then catch up. Luckily, the actual music playback never chopped or skipped. After about 3 hours it alway seemed to somehow resolve itself and finally everything would be running smoothly.

Finally realized my music library file in the djay folder on my hard drive had somehow ballooned to 2GB. Trying to figure out how this had happend, I went to compare it to the music library file on my icloud drive only to find there was no music library folder on my icloud drive. I went into settings in the djay app and turned off icloud sync, and the lag and choppiness were completely gone. I haven’t had an issue since.

My theory is that I had had issues with iCloud sync previously, and had been told to delete the music library file on the iCloud (which I did) so it would sync with the most recent music library file on my hard drive. This must’ve caused some kind of glitch where iCloud sync was trying to write to a file in the cloud that wasn’t there, and was writing back to the one on my hard drive over and over in a loop.

If you’re having issues with choppiness / lag, turn off iCloud sync.

I’m having the same issue but try this to see if it solves your issue,

In the meantime I will try your fix to see if it works for me as well…

Both issues seem to be an internet related

Ok I can now confirm that switching iCloud Sync off solved the problem, my fix of turning WiFi off also fixes the problem but I guess it’s only the iCloud Sync part that was causing the lag.

Thanks Dj_Hooded_Wolf for the tip, at least now I can have WiFi switched back on for Apple Music.

1 Like

At last you have a temp solution.

1 Like