Midi: Enhance feed-back messages

• Device model: MCBOOK PRO M1
  • Version of operating system (e.g. macOS 14.4.1): Macos 14.5
  • Version of djay: 5.2.1
  • Hardware/controllers used: Custom

I can’t find feed-back messages on some Midi controls that would be very useful, e.g.

• Track loaded on deck

Cheers, Bart.

Hi @Brainbox,

Thanks for sharing in our community.

So that our teams can get a better understanding of what you are requesting, could you share a bit more in-depth information/reasoning for this request?

Looking forward to hearing back from you. Have a nice day!

Hi Nathaniel et al,

While configuring Midi mappings, with midi out it is possible to define responses that Djay sends back to the controller. Normally, these responses indicate if the corresponding on/off control succeeded or, for instance with relative control of continuous parameters like volume, the response returns the actual value of the control. The goal is to display this status or program logic on the controller. It seems there is a special case for tracks that are loaded on a deck. If a track is loaded, the start/pause feed back starts blinking. This blinking is controlled by Djay by periodic sending of CC/note 0/127 messages. Because of this, there is no clear indication if a deck has a loaded track. Ok, only when the track is started, the start/pause control feedback is continuously on, but not when paused. On my custom midi controller, all buttons have status leds, hence I would like to use these. Furthermore, having the status if a deck is loaded or not can also be used to program more logic in the controller. My proposal is to implement a midi out for all the load track variants that clearly indicates if a deck has a loaded track or not.

Edit: Because what I now do is beyond tweaking existing mappings, is there a way to get knowledge about the enhanced possibilities of using the XML file?

Thanks and kind regards, Bart.

Is this post ignored?

Hi @Brainbox,

Thank you for sharing this additional feedback.

The detail provided was exceptional and greatly appreciated.

While djay doesn’t currently support the transition of MIDI data in the specific scenario you’ve suggested, we will be pushing this with our engineering team for further review and collaboration.

Thank you again for your suggestion and we’ll make sure to update this thread as new information comes in!