Musical Key Notation is NOT showing Scale (Minor/Major)

Hi,

This is about the musical key notation format located in:
Settings: Library > Key > Format > Musical Key (C maj) / Musical Key (C maj / A min)

As I explain in the attached screen recording, it’s unclear to me how to show whether a song is detected in a minor or major scale using these settings.

When I select the last two setting (Open Key or Numerical Key (Camelot) notation), it clearly shows whether a song is in a minor or major key. However, this is not the case with the first two Musical Key settings.

Additionally, the second Musical Key setting (maj/min) sometimes changes the display of the root key unexpectedly for certain songs which I think is strange.

Could you provide some clarification on how this works and how I can ensure the scale (minor/major) is displayed?

I’ve just watched the video. It seems to be behaving correctly IMO.

When you select the Musical Key (C maj) option, it displays everything as if it’s major - so minor keys are shown as their relative major (i.e. Em shown as G).

When you select Musical Key (C maj / A min) then it shows both major and minor keys. You can see them change in the browser.

At 1m13s after you change the setting to maj/min you say that " it doesn’t show major or minor" but it does. The minor keys are the ones with a small m (such as Am, Em) which is the standard way to show minor. The display is not “changing key”, it’s just showing the relative key.

If you want to see major and minor then set it to Musical Key (C maj / A min).

How I feel this issue as a musician, ie. I’ve played guitar.
I always assume that if I see a song defined in A, i’m assuming it’s A maj.
So for me I don’t require that major keys are shown. Only the minor ones to see that it’s Am.

But you need to also understand music theory. I.e C major has same notes than A minor.

1 Like

Hi @dj_romy_fi and @PKtheDJ,

Thank you both for responding! I didn’t know that the small m (such as Am, Em) is the standard way to show minor and only the letter is always that key in Major key. Thats why I was expecting one of the words (Maj of Min) behind the letter.

Now I know that this is correct and choose for the notation in the format Musical Key (C maj / A min)

I also compared this with the Open Key and Number notation and now it makes totally sense.

2 Likes

This is what makes a proper DJ afaic - being able to not only beat match and provide seamless transitions between songs, but to do that while sculpting the mood/vibe using key/mode changes as well. Excelsior!

1 Like

Thank you @PKtheDJ and @dj_romy_fi! Perfect explanations!