Neural Mix and Tidal don’t work together anymore

Only if you use an old version of Serato (3.1)

TIDAL has recently announced that they are going to revamp their pricing structure, including an add-on for access through DJ apps:

On April 10, 2024, we’re updating the pricing for TIDAL globally. We’re combining our HiFi Plus and HiFi tiers into a single subscription tier called TIDAL.

The introduction of a single TIDAL subscription tier means more fans across 61 markets globally can discover and enjoy music in HiRes FLAC and Dolby Atmos catalog in addition to over 110M tracks in lossless quality for a best-in-class listening experience. Here is a breakdown of the updated plan options:

• The TIDAL Individual plan for $10.99 USD/month
  • The Family plan (for you and up to 5 other family members) for $16.99 USD/month.
  • The Student plan (discounted for current students) for $4.99 USD/month.
  • An add-on for $9/month to access over 110M songs in lossless quality through TIDAL’s suite of DJ partners.

This may be a bad thing (access through djay now costs extra and still has no Neural Mix), but I have at least some hope this restructuring comes with licensing agreements that, for the add-on price, allow stem separation features in DJ software again. Does anyone have any information on this?

3 Likes

Hopefully. Or it might just be the offline availability of tracks…

If it goes up another $9 for use in Djay Pro, I will definitely be cancelling my subscription, I barely use it as is

This has been on the cards for a while. Atomix changed VirtualDJ to require the highest Tidal tier ($19.99) some time ago, but then removed it again because other DJ partners hadn’t followed suit.

Now there’s an official announcement so presumably it will come in across all platforms.

@Slak_Jaw Can we have this Tidal announcement put in a prominent place and pinned, so that all forum users see it? Maybe even something on the main Algoriddim site.

2 Likes

Whether this is an attractive offer also depends on what you actually get with the DJ-addon. If it’s just access to the catalog, that’s a significant surcharge. But if this also clarifies the question of commercial use and you are on the safe side legally as a DJ, I think that’s completely OK. If Stems can also run with it again at some point, that would be a pretty good offer for the DJ overall.

5 Likes

Well apparently they ARE bringing back stems with the DJ subscription, so I’ve edited my earlier comment. Stems and offline storage for DJs (depending on their kit).

3 Likes

What don’t they get? When they (and the artists) own the rights to the music, they’re entitled to income from it. People can’t just do what they want with copyrighted material, with no consequences.

Where’s the lack of income when I use only drum stems or vocals from a track? It’s a stream. Full price.

I was replying to gravitybass re: UMG vs TikTok. UMG want money. TikTok don’t want to pay.

FYI you don’t own the music from a stream. Strictly speaking, even if you buy music, you can’t do what you want with it.

They don’t get that data is the new oil. They’re giving up direct royalties AND far more valuable data on how their music is used. The music will be used the way people want wether they like it or not and they’re choosing to give up not one but two streams of value. (pardon the pun) Now their music will be still be used without them being looped into the wider system. Just like us DJs now use Stems offline with local files only. All that sweet sweet data, poof. Gone. It’s the fact they HAD access to this data and are willfully giving it up which blows my mind.

Imagine if YouTube said, we’re just gonna turn off our app on Roku TVs, you have to use the browser now and we get no data. There’d be uproar from consumers and shareholders alike.

I’m not arguing ownership of streaming music, I’m arguing that all this is just an insanely bad business move that would never fly in other industries like tech.

1 Like

I’m aware of the rules. I just don’t get the reasoning.

Whatever you do for a living, you expect to get paid for it, yes? That’s the reasoning.

Ehm.

They get paid exactly the same. Whether I use the full track or the vocals.

Hey guys! Let’s please try to keep this discussion friendly, positive and on topic. Thanks!

Please also consider refreshing yourselves with our Community Guidelines: Guidelines - Algoriddim Community Forums

2 Likes

I’m not thrilled about the price increase but I’m happy that it appears Tidal is bringing back stems with the DJ subcription. If it’s true, it’s fair and I’ll pay the hike. I got tidal mostly to support the artists. Having it to DJ is a great bonus.

1 Like

I’d be willing to pay double, even triple for the use of stems. Want to clear the air and say I’m in no way suggesting artists don’t get paid fairly for stream or use of stems. It’s a beautiful thing that artists can get paid while I spin their tracks to just myself in the garage.

2 Likes

The artist support is the reason I subscribed to Tidal as well. :slight_smile:
Now using beatport, but miss the occasional rock track.

And the flip-side of the coin, the beat ports et al did continue offering stems despite the producers / artist not desiring that. Good for us on short term, but at the end the priority is the IP that is with the artist. Without any artists and producers, what can we do as DJ?

1 Like