Neural Mix and Tidal don’t work together anymore

I’ve read these things too. Where’s the confirmation? This is all speculation. Quotes from Phil…

Major labels probably feel having stems in DJ software is overstepping the mark.

We think that major labels may feel the whole mashup thing is so big they have to control it.

And to sum things up…

we are guessing the labels ultimately have decided they want to make that harder for us.

Clear as mud until someone finally opens up. Again, what’s the big issue in being straightforward? Simply start communicating as every respectable company would.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised if Daniel Ek is behind all this. :clown_face:

That was a confirmation by the way… :wink:

1 Like

The music industry never learns. This is much bigger than them, remixing, ect. Data is much more valuable than any royalty could ever be, and the data detailing how DJs use stems is very valuable indeed. Imagine if a big tech company like Amazon or Google suddenly got a new source of data to monetize or analyze and then decided: “nah, we’re just gonna turn that off and not use it because we CAN”. Their stock price would drop, there’d be a leadership shakeup, people would look at them like they’re crazy! Like I said in my previous comment, I and other DJs will continue to use stems just how I was, but now offline.

1 Like

Or loop. :shushing_face:

Madness.

1 Like

I hope it’s not like which streaming service will pay the biggest royalties to get neural/stems working

3 Likes

Time and again, we can see that it pays off more to build an offline, locally stored music collection. It’s not cheap and not as flexible but it’s also hella stable and I wouldn’t want to trade that, ever.

2 Likes

They nor Tidal, answered my initial questions on this.

1 Like

Looking to get anyone’s thoughts on this - I just jumped back on my iPad to do some quick mixing on the djay app and I’m devastated to find no neural mixing now when using Tidal.

Does anyone know what other streaming platforms would offer the ability to use the neural mix? To be clear I don’t own any tracks, it needs to be a streaming service that can allow transfer of playlists from Spotify. I already had a separate Tidal sub so I can transfer my playlists from Spotify to Tidal to continue using the djay app, PLUS paying annually for Tunemymusic.com to sync and move the playlists.

Losing the ability to use neural mix is simply awful, I get it’s a licensing issue so nothing will change on the stance from Algoriddim. I’ve tried using a VPN on my iPad to move outside of Europe after reading some comments above but that doesn’t make a difference.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Thank you all so much for engaging with us and one another regarding Neural Mix and TIDAL.

As some of you have concluded, Neural Mix no longer works Tidal tracks within DJ applications (like djay) due to licensing limitations.

Please click here to view our FAQ on the subject.

We apologize for any frustration this may have caused some of you and thank you for your patience while we constructed a response to this topic.

Additionally…get ready for some big updates coming to djay very very soon!

4 Likes

Not with DJAY. Last thing I heard Deezer still works, but that’s with other DJ software.

Thanks, but how can we get rid of the message that comes up repeatedly when mixing?

2 Likes

So on my current iPad running Djay 4.1.10, Neural mix is still working with Tidal,
On my backup iPad where l have just updated to Version 5.0,
The Neural mix has stopped working with Tidal…
Not a big deal for me personally because l own 99% of the music l play, l only use tidal for the odd request that l don’t have, but funnily enough, every time l do get that odd request, l usually get that track in my own library under the “odd request “ folder.
I may just end up getting rid of my Tidal account and
Probably just reactivate it when l have party gigs come up

2 Likes

Does that only come up when you try to use Neural mix with Tidal or always when using Tidal?

I just used Soundiiz to transfer all of my playlists with vocals in them to Soundcloud where neural mix still works. The only big issue with this is Soundcloud’s arbitrary 500 song limit on playlists. Once that stops working I’ll be sailing the high seas again like it’s 2008. Wonder when Rekordbox is gonna make their Track Separation feature not work with Tidal anymore. Anyone know if it still works in Serato?

Revisiting this issue.

Reading the message in V5 tells us once again: “Due to changes in licensing terms, this feature is currently not available on this streaming platform” I’d say it’s pretty darn obvious that we’re going to have to pay for this ‘feature’ at some point in the future.

Perhaps Tidal will have an offer for DJs in the future. In my opinion, the fact that they have launched an online survey about what DJs want speaks in favor of this. Maybe we’ll have to pay for it in the future. On the other hand, this might also ensure that DJs who use Tidal for commercial purposes are legally protected. At any rate, commercial use is not permitted at the moment.

Sure. Which I think is fair for pros, but for all the bedroom peeps out there (I’m guessing >95% of the user base) it’s bogus IMO.

This was such a disappointing announcement. I was so excited to try the latest Neural Mix update and start remixing on Tidal only to discover that now I can’t. I would honestly just prefer to use the old version of DJ Pro so I could keep remixing using neural with Tidal even at the lower quality.

1 Like

@nunchuck this is not restricted to djay 5.0. This affects djay 4.x and all other DJ software as well.

2 Likes

Thank you for the clarification. I was able to successfully use neural mix last night on my MacBook with Tidal but not on the updated version of DJ pro running on iOS which made me think Tidal would still work with an older version of DJ. Perhaps the music was cached, I don’t know, but I won’t hold out hope that it will continue working on my MacBook.